iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

year of my 240 timberjack cable skidder

Started by 240jack, June 25, 2017, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

240jack

hey there great forum and my first time here. need a little help figuring out what year my skidder is . has a 4-53 detroit , new process transmission , reverser in front of transmission ,  A gearmatic19 winch , an eaton transfer case , wr-51 eaton axles . It was burnt . I bought it in 1986 and we rebuilt it logged a couple years with it and parked it. its been sittin ever since. somewhat apart too.  the tag was melted off the machine and I never knew the serial or exact model. any help is appreciated .

Spartan

I'm going to guess 1975, or close to it.

I have your model listed in my parts book as having those options during that era.  My machine is a 76, 450.

That's just a guess as that is a manual for my model machine that came out in 75, but it lists all the other model timberjacks that were available as well.

240jack

thanks spartan , I was told a 1979 240e by a fellow logger once. can you rule this out ? oh and is there a serial number stamped anywhere ? the tag is toast.

Neilo

Around 79/80 I think if parts are original.

Spartan

go with those guys, mine was just a guess.

coxy

yes there is numbers stamped it but I have no idea where they are I can ask my buddy who is a jack guy  I'm going to say its in the 80s also he has a225 230  240 and 240a the a has a 353 turbo and 2 450s and about 30 extra Detroits to go with them  :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

him and his son build there own motors they run them way harder than a normal person every year and a half to 2 years if they get lucky they have to rebuild them cause there shot

240jack

hey , sure is great folks showing interest in this post thanks to all,,,,, all the parts except parts of the motor are original. i bought it from the original owner. This was a tough job rebuilding this skidder.i got some pics somewhere the day i found it.  man . I was 25 years old and full of ---- . I wouldn't do it again. we bought $8000 worth of parts at heart of dixie parts in alabama and flew into it. took us 3 months to do it. took it to the woods primered .never did get to paint it.the ole machine worked flawlessly though. I looked all around the cab tday for a stamped serial number . nothin i can see. thanks fellers . all help is greatly appreciated .

Ron Scott

~Ron

240jack

coxy

that's what he said also it will be stamped in the cab or on the side

Oliver05262

I'm the original poster on Ron Scott's link. I did find the serial number on that machine. It was stamped in the side of the tunnel cover right about where your ankle would be while you sat in the seat. When I found it,and cleaned it up, you could see it from the ground looking into the machine.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

240jack

hey Oliver , thanks for helping. heres a pic of my skidder down by the pedals . where was your number located ?

Oliver05262

Some where around E as I remember. He sold the machine, but I can go look at it sometime if you need that. That one was a 240A, and had a Deutz engine in it.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Neilo

Finding numbers would be good, but it won't give you year. From what you describe, it is a 240GSEAX

There was a date on the NP case if it survived.

240jack

Thanks Neilo,and everybody , so a 240 G-? s-standard ? E-eaton ? A-?  X- ? More than I ever knew. Im thinkin about a complete well done restore and want all the info I can find. Parts are out of site expensive  these days . But I got good running gear so far .planetaries , lockers , tranny , reverser all seem ok . i say seem. Ill tear them all down for inspection. My winch is a gearmatic 19 and will need a lot of attention for sure. I pulled the winch release slave out tonight and it so rusted its toast.  you could imagine inside the winch. there fussy anyway.

240jack

Oliver , the E is right where the tag use to be but no stamped numbers. all is there are the rivets . thanks

Neilo

G= GM Detroit non turbo
S= Standard trans
E= Eaton axles
A= Gearmatic
X= Standard butt pan

coxy

Quote from: 240jack on June 25, 2017, 11:05:03 PM
Oliver , the E is right where the tag use to be but no stamped numbers. all is there are the rivets . thanks
find something to remove the paint like a wire wheel not a grinder and wire wheel all the paint there   the numbers will/should be there stamped in the frame they maybe be hind your feet also  he also told me they maybe behind the cab stamped in the frame on the out side

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

240jack

I looked good Coxy , nothin ,,,but I aint givin up yet. got to be stamped. its a mission now fellers . I believe the folks on here have got my machine nailed as to year. i want to thank every body for helpin too. great friendly forum. BIG THANKS TO ALL

coxy

in the back behind the cab there should be or was rubber stops to keep it from turning to far that flat plate that's part of the frame on the drivers side look good the stamp Is not deep so you may have to get it to bear metal to see the numbers they may even be in the rust on the frame where you have the letter c he said they are on the drivers side someplace unless they rusted away

Thank You Sponsors!