Started by Bruno of NH, June 23, 2017, 12:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Sold a pine live edge slab today
5" thick 27" wide 10' long
It went to a distillery in Ct.
The owner drove 2 1/2 hours to get it
He wants some more liked the quality a lot
I'm no Tule peak but made me feel good :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bert

It definitely feels good when someone appreciates your products. I sold a bunch of sidecut boards one time to a microbrew place to use for wall paneling. Nothing special but he still emails me sometimes and tells me how nice it looks.
Saw you tomorrow!

fishfighter

Green or dried? What something like that sells for? I have some very nice slabs in SYP like that and I wouldn't know were to start at a price. Heck, I sawed them just for the heck of it and they been air drying a good year+. Don't need them. :o

Bruno of NH

I sold this one for $150.00
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

I have a few hundred bf of air dried pine bartop slabs and they just sit.  Good deal you could move em
Boy, back in my day..

cutterboy

Nice sale Bruno. It's great to get $150 for one piece of wood. I'm curious, why did you decide to cut a piece of pine 5 inches thick and how did that guy in Ct. know you had it? And what is he going to do with it?  I hope he comes back for more. It wouldn't take many of them to make a nice payday.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

I was sawing my normal size slabs 2" thick and this piece was left on the deck and I seen a nice table in it and just couldn't finish cutting it.
One of his friends from Vt seen my add for it in the It's Classified trade paper.
He wants to use it in his tasteing room in his new distillery.
I also cut some 4",3 1/2" and 3" this time

Bruno of NH

4x4 you need to advertise them in the city
They will sell

4x4American

The biggest problem with doing that is it takes time and patience to deal with them fellers and time I don't got!  I sold someone from NYC a KD planed glued up 4' pine table top one live edge last year.  I should have quoted her after the constant phone calls and emails and research and time it took me to sell that one piece.  I think I got a plump $250 or so for it and it was totally not worth it lol.  I bought the piece from a place I do biz with and they sold it to me for $180.  There's a sawmill who sends me alot of work nearby and they sell circle sawn pine bartop slabs for $20 ea (to me at least idk what they charge to other ppl) if I had a market for that I would be buying and reselling them all the time.  I custom sawed about 8mbf of mainly live edge pine bartop slabs for a guy two years back. He's had them inside a barn on a windy hill since then and last time I checked the most he's done is sell a couple and rent some out for a wedding lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Good for you Bruno. Sales here are a little slow, But , not bad.
I think 100" of rain might have something to do with it . :D :D :D :D :D
Loggers can't get out in the woods, too much mud.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

A little off subject but have you fellas noticed the LL Bean Old barn board/simulated flooring in their outlet stores. Sawyers paid big bucks for poor saw maintenance, deep swirls. Guy must have gone wild with the swage. I know its cut for that look, maybe a good opportunity for some not so great hardwood. Frank C.   
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bert

I could have sold alot of LL Bean flooring today Bandmiller. Hit 7- 16d nails in one log. Was in a time crunch and wanted to get done so sawed on. Still cut good just deep marks on junk dunnage stuff so no worries. The circle saw look is in and i'm onboard. :D
Saw you tomorrow!

DanMc

I built a 3 1/2 foot x 8 foot dining room table for a good friend.   We both worked on it together as I stipulated that I would build it for him, but I would only work on it when he was there.  So we had a great time.  But I am embarrassed to admit that I paid $500 for two pieces of 2" x 24" x 10' quartersawn white pine that included the pith.  This was from a local sawmill here in MA.   
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

scsmith42

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 23, 2017, 12:34:40 PM
Sold a pine live edge slab today
5" thick 27" wide 10' long
It went to a distillery in Ct.
The owner drove 2 1/2 hours to get it
He wants some more liked the quality a lot
I'm no Tule peak but made me feel good :)

That works out to be $1.33 per board foot.

Green It would sell for at least 2x that in my area, much more if KD.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bruno of NH

In my area it's hard to get $.80 cents a board ft for nice pine.
I would like to get more but it would sit for a while
I make money but have to move the wood
I will try to get a kiln when the funds build back up

Bruno of NH

I contacted 2 places that advertise kiln drying services and no one wants to work with me when they find out I have my own mill.
I will end up building one

Brad_bb

No pic?  Then it didn't happen.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 24, 2017, 09:36:15 PM
I contacted 2 places that advertise kiln drying services and no one wants to work with me when they find out I have my own mill.
I will end up building one

Bhilding your own prolly good way to do it.  I know of many guys with kilns around here, I've seen some of them and they are rough but guess they work.  There are a few different custom kiln drying guys around here that will do it but I've never used them.  They want a kiln load at a time and usually only do either a certain species or they want it all to be the same species
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

Brad bb here are some pics of the slab
I hope i didn't offend anyone with this post it was not my intent.
When i sell the slabs i tell people they are green and need to dry  for a long time.
I can only make recommendations on what they do with them.
I price them for the market i live in and know with a kiln i could get more.

crowhill

Nice deal Bruno! I should have swung by this morning to see your new tractor as I passed that Springfield sign... coming back from Wells, Maine.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Bruno of NH

Crowhill you should have stoped in I was running the new Mahindra working on my road and mill yard.
All FF members are welcome any time :)

Thank You Sponsors!