iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crawdad holes in yard

Started by bigred1951, June 23, 2017, 12:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Anybody know a good way to get rid of them. My yard is full of crawdad holes. It seems like every day there's more mounds of mud where they made another hole. Could I just pour something down the holes

Chuck White

Never knew they would come up on dry land and make holes in yards!

Interesting!

Maybe if you could harvest them you could have a "boilin" like magicman does!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Move to higher ground. ;)  Or install drainage so your yard is a less hospitable place for crawfish.  They are tenacious.   :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Crawdads have to make a living too, and are providing a service.  Rainwater goes down those holes to provide "deep watering".  Otherwise it just runs off with minimal soaking in. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Take the mud push up's and varnish them and turn them into candle stick holders thousands of dollars free  ;D
Bill

Ox

This blows my mind.  I didn't know they could live out of constant water submersion for long.  Are they digging down far enough where they hit water?  I also thought they had to be in a creek or pond or something to be able to get food like other critters and such.  What do they eat in the dirt?  Worms? 

It sure is fun to learn new things.  It's one of my favorite parts about being alive on this floating rock.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Autocar

Ox on a rainny day you can push a small stick down the hole and there sometimes clamp onto it. Pull real slow and you can pull them right out of there hole. After heavy down pours sometimes you can creep up and you can see them.
Bill

East ky logging

dad used to have me put some carbide down the holes in the corn fields. I don't know if it did any good or not but I guess he was just trying to get rid of a bunch of it that grandpa had in the barn before I found something more exciting to do with it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Banjo picker

Too bad he didn't give you some matches to go with it.  That might have been exciting enough.  I wonder if any kids still go rabbit hunting with a carbide light?   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

a little liquid detergent in each burrow will discourage them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

Google it. Kind of interesting actually. There are crawfish that live primarily on land and others tht live primarily in water. It seems most all of them burrow. The land ones are most active in the spring when it's time to breed.
http://www.loyno.edu/lucec/natural-history-writings/crawfish-and-their-chimneys

https://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjW8uDJwtTUAhVBsBQKHT6KCzcQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Faskanaturalist.com%2Fburrowing-crayfish%2F&usg=AFQjCNHtaYNW4geZNZ80EUDKuFFYQQ6_lg
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

barbender

Huh! We only have the "water version" up here in the North. What else y'all have down there, fish that walk to town, or you have to club them to keep them so they don't walk back to the water? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Well, I guess you're never to old to learn somethin'! (old saying?)  Funny how the first link is about craWfish in the south and the second link is all about craYfish in the north. :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Quote from: coxy on June 23, 2017, 09:48:36 PM
why is the screen so long

Because the link is long. I don't know how to fix it other than removing the link.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

It's a bit like in the Sth Pacific Islands. We were in Rarotonga getting wedding pics taken at this abandoned house, and Lara pointed out all these holes in the ground. "Rabbit holes?" Nope, right size, but they were coconut crab holes  :o :D

Called Coconut Crabs because that's what they eat. If you have ever tried to open a coconut, imagine a crab that can do it....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

I had the bright idea to attack a coconut in the pod when I was in Key West .I'd have stood a better chance of getting into Ft Knox.Like the old saying goes,"that's a tough nut to crack"

Ianab

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 24, 2017, 05:41:30 AM
I had the bright idea to attack a coconut in the pod when I was in Key West .I'd have stood a better chance of getting into Ft Knox.Like the old saying goes,"that's a tough nut to crack"

Like a lot of things, it's technique.

I can open one given a few minutes, but no where near as quick as a Cook Islands local. Give one of those guys a pointy stick and rock, they will have climbed the tree, knocked down some nuts, cracked one open, drunk the juice, and be applying coconut suntan oil to any nearby young lady in 30 secs.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!