iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another "please help me ID my circle mill" thread

Started by bnemec, June 22, 2017, 02:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnemec

Hello everyone, I'm new to forum.  We have an old mill that's been around since my grandfather and his brothers/cousins first ran it with an oil pull. 

I'm working on photos. I'm guessing it could be a mutt?  Scoured the castings for mfg id, but only find the casting numbers.  You'll see some on the Block photo.

The blade guides look similar to the American style where you can adjust both sides independently, but ours is different than photos I've seen online in that the two arms have a couple large teeth that mesh for some reason.

The blocks are different than any I have seen on line.

We are using her for running out some poplar furring strips, easy sawing, but working out kinks.  Don't slam too hard, I know, it's in rough shape.   Again.  It's been sitting for over 15 years again until my Dad started getting it shimmed up again.  Need foundation, but it's not in a good spot.  And haven't decided where to put it.  I like steel and have a good inventory of structural steel, I'm thinking of making it portable...

mad murdock

Welcome aboard bnemec! I wish I could identify the mill, but I am not too versed on the older circle handset mills. Someone here surely will be able to help, nice looking mill though 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bandmiller2

Welcome, I would say your mill is in average shape and nothing to be ashamed of. I'am on the east coast and don't recognize your mill. Back in that era every local foundry made make and break engines and sawmills. Some foundries ground the names off parts and used them for patterns to cast their own. Its a left hand mill and ideal for tractor PTO. I think that once you get your mill set up and aligned you will be loathed to move it. Brand is rather a moot point as no doubt the manufactures is long out of business and parts are catch as catch can. The good news is you can usually mix and match assemblies if needed. If there at any old time sawyers in your area they would probably know who built it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bnemec

Hello again.  Thank you for the replies.  It has been a busy summer so this is the first i posted back.  We sawed the last log we had out this afternoon, i think there were 28 or 30 in all.  Should be enough strips for two of the buildings.   There's another two skids not in the picture.

We have plenty of aspen up to ~28" at the butt, and they seem to rot and break at the base while the tree is still alive and looking healthy to my untrained eye.

The mill needs work though, husk is getting rotten and the guides need new inserts.

The blade doesn't spin nice and flat, looks to have some oscillation.  Usually saws straight, but have to keep the teeth sharp or it will go out almost an inch in 8'.

Been fun, but a bunch of work.

bnemec

Kauff44

Welcome. I also have a circular mill. One thing I would have done is have the blade hammered for the RPM you are running, I had the same issue with the Thick and Thin boards. Once I had it hammered to my power plant running at 600RPM is was a whole new mill. It cuts awesome lumber now.
Thanks, God Bless

Ron Wenrich

Having the sun on the saw will also give you fits. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!