iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowplows.

Started by BargeMonkey, June 21, 2017, 09:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering if any of you guys are running the V-plows, one forum member on here swears by them and my dealer has a few new takeoffs left over, figured i would ask the question. 1 is higher than the other, figure go with the higher one with the snowfoil. Anyone have anything bad to say ? I've got a straight 8-6 fisher MM2 right now on. 

newoodguy78

I think a lot depends on what you're plowing. I used to plow with my brother in law, I was pushing a 9' straight blade and he was pushing an 8' v-plow both fisher x-blades. In an open parking lots or roads/long driveways with not many tight spots we both thought the 9' straight was the way to go especially being that they are a bit cheaper. However in driveways or tighter spots the v-plow was absolutely hands down the way to go.

The shape of the v's with the higher sides and funnel shape to them can really throw some snow up over bankings. One other thing I noticed with the v is when it is in scoop mode you can really stack the snow higher without hammering your truck.

I don't know if you have ever used a fisher x-blade but they do scrape a lot better than the mm2s. I think it's because the cutting edge stands up straighter.
If you can get a deal on the v I really don't think you'll be disappointed.  Just my opinion but fisher is definitely the brand to go with

BargeMonkey

Never had a V-plow before, always had a straight 8-6 or 9' MM2 the last while, we do about 90 private driveways an a couple subdivide roads, alot of high snowbanks to bust thru. I've got a western piece of junk on my duramax I'm planning on putting a MM2 on this yr, put this V on the new ford. Yeah I deal with Marchese Ford in NY who is a big dealer, he had 2 stainless ones there and it wasn't to bad to upgrade, just never had or used one before and always leery.

snowstorm

I have a dozen or so plows. 3 Fisher. With there bed the newer the better. Nothing less than the 9ft 6 inch

snowstorm

newoodguy78

With 90 driveways and roads with high bankings you would like the v. One of my cousins does a ton of plowing and he wouldn't even think about a straight blade. He has a fleet of v plows and won't go back
The only problem I've seen with v's is when guys put it in v mode and try to bust through deep snow or a banking the plow isn't wide enough to get the snow away from the truck and ends up falling back in front of the rear wheels, before you know it you're stuck. I've pulled out more than one that has made that mistake.
Marchese Ford in Lebanon?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: snowstorm on June 21, 2017, 10:51:12 PM
I have a dozen or so plows. 3 Fisher. With there bed the newer the better. Nothing less than the 9ft 6 inch
I figured to ask you, know your on vacation so figured you would see it on here. I want to say it was all of 9'.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: newoodguy78 on June 21, 2017, 11:03:46 PM
With 90 driveways and roads with high bankings you would like the v. One of my cousins does a ton of plowing and he wouldn't even think about a straight blade. He has a fleet of v plows and won't go back
The only problem I've seen with v's is when guys put it in v mode and try to bust through deep snow or a banking the plow isn't wide enough to get the snow away from the truck and ends up falling back in front of the rear wheels, before you know it you're stuck. I've pulled out more than one that has made that mistake.
Marchese Ford in Lebanon?
We have got a decent small fleet of snow equipment, alot of our driveways are pretty straight forward, a couple of them suck and had always wondered about the V plows. I see they don't run shoes on them ?
Yes Joe Marchese in Lebanon, it's about 75 miles from my house but he has been the best one to deal with.

Bruno of NH

I never run the shoes give them away as boat anchors
Jmo and i have plowed for 33 years
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sprucebunny

I got a Boss 9' V for my 1/3 mile dirt drive at my woodlot. It's a one lane road and the snow fills in between the snowbanks because of wind. I would not be able to plow with a straight blade... even with the V, a big storm or heavy snow will make the hill a challenge.

I'm pushing it with a '00 F450 diesel so no lack of power. A logger tried to plow it with a straight blade and Duramax last spring and bent his plow !!  :o

It does have 3 shoes and they are useful at the beginning of the season.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

coxy

little early to thinking about snow isn't it  ;D the way its going we all should be thinking about buying/building an ark  :D :D

tacks Y

If you want to carry snow go V. I have to go up hill out my driveway, if it is deep and heavy the V will push  through. The straight will not or push you side ways. Bought a new 02 Boss had it a while, sold it and got a 9'2" Boss V. Will not go back, but they are heavier. Around here the pros run mostly straight with tips making them real wide, not sure they are legal. Mine is.

mike_belben

I did a lot of small city driveways and housing complex lots when i lived in mass with a cherokee.  Pickups couldnt fit and i had no competition.   I formed and welded wings to the end of my straight blade that created a proper rake angle for cutting back the frozen solid 3' highshovel piles i often had to widen.  It was amazing.. Instead of slamming into them and getting bounced off sideways, id just idle and peel them off 6" at a time.  If they were terrible id just spear them first.  When i set blade to full angle the tip would be straight forward like a knife.  Plunged into any bank.  The capture ability was excellent and no more driving in my own spoils cast off from being angled too narrow.   Windrows were solved too, nothing spilled out since it was almost a box blade.
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

We run an 8' 2" Boss vee plow with a 12" wing on each side. We very seldom use the vee, but the scoop function is invaluable. We would never go back to a straight blade, the vee is just too versatile.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on June 22, 2017, 06:43:56 AM
little early to thinking about snow isn't it  ;D the way its going we all should be thinking about buying/building an ark  :D :D
23" of rain so far, everyone else has tried to cut hay and gotten it rained on, we are a little behind and when I get home it's going to be nuts. Walked a lot the other day and the guy looked at me funny when I said in a few months maybe, along the power lines and the water lay on the ground, I would make a mess I couldn't fix. Greene's yard looked pretty empty the other day, maybe they will get the message and bring the price up a little bit 😂 I've got someone hunting me down more locust, had 3-4 decent orders all come in at once for it.

Corley5

I've never ran one but anyone I know that has a V says they'll never go back to a straight blade.  Western and Boss rule the roost around here.  I haven't seen a new Fisher hanging on a truck in years although there are a couple dealers.  I run a 10' Boss straight blade on my F550.  It will handle the truck ;) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

Fisher builds western in Rockland me. Fisher yellow western red. They gave me a tour of the new plant when it opened 18 yrs ago or so

snowstorm

Didn't boss sell out to toro. I know I read that somewhere

GRANITEstateMP

Barge,

If you do get a new Fisher make sure it's one of the Fleet Flex wired style.  Best of my understanding, the Fleet Flex plows, both straight and V, use the same controller and the same wire harness.  If you start buying more newer plows or trucks and set them up that you can switch from one plow to another if a truck goes down (or vice versa).  I've always done the straight blade, then again I've never bought a new plow!  My buddy has 2 of the Fisher V's, taller ones.  He use's them hard, they have held up well.  Cutting edges are more money for V's than straight, but I'm pretty sure with your heavy equipment connections you could figure out how to get them cheaper  ;)
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

wannaergo

We have two boss Vs, both 9 footers. After having one, I don't think I could ever use a straight blade. We use a rubber cutting edge, rather than steel. It's a lot easier on the plow, especially on woods roads, but doesn't cut as well as steel.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Ken

I've got a 8.5' Fisher V Plow and with the exception of a cylinder with a stripped fitting I haven't had any trouble with it although it is only 2 years old.  I have it mounted to a 09 Duramax and have to be very careful as the truck will heat on the road or on long pushes
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Woodhauler

Depending on size of your truck bargemonkey, I have had a 8.6 fisher extreme vee for 6-7 years now. Beat the daylights out off it plowing woods roads and a few driveways, plus a 3/4 mile long road on the lake in the winter! Never had one problem with it.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

woodmaker

We plow all commercial lots now(I gave up residential as a 60th birthday present to myself).I have never used a v plow,but for the past 25+ years ,I have added wings to straight blades,both to increase the width,but more importantly,to scoop and carry snow to the other end of the lot. The big parking lots that are close together,we use payloaders,but the smaller,more spread out lots are done with pickups
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Corley5

Western and Fisher are owned by Douglas Dynamics.  Boss is now owned by Toro.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

The thing with Fisher around here is everybody has parts. Maybe cause the factory is 20 miles away. When I went threw it they had a robot welding parts. It's a big building. When Dean Fisher started it it was on the water front. That was turned into a park.never once ha one of my Ford diesels over heat

Thank You Sponsors!