iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory

Started by PineHill4488, June 21, 2017, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Quote from: wolf nemeth on June 26, 2017, 09:53:35 PM
Well, while we're talking about pecans, perhaps  i can get some info....we bought an old house that had a couple of huge pecan trees, probably the  age of the house (180 y.o.)  After 16 years we finally got a  crop, and what a crop it was.  And the best nuts we ever tasted!
  Since then, nothing.....nada, zip, zilch. Is this  common with older pecan trees?
  By the way, I milled what I could of   the one that had bee struck by lightening. Appx  40" dia.   log that my  FEL couldn't handle,  not even a 6' log.

I have some trees that are native that are well close to 100 years old that produce.

Has cotton been grown there before? If so, a pecan tree will just about never produce nuts. Another killer for production of nuts is a very wet spring. Yep, third one back to back here. >:(

You can do a soil test around the tree. Zink and triple 13 helps a lot. That has to be spread out from the trunk, out to the end of the branches as the sprouts just start popping out in the spring. That is how big the root system is.  I have an easy 300+ producing trees on my place. 2/3rd are grafted Elliot trees. Those are the money makers when they produce were native nuts only bring in about half the price.

D6c

Interesting.....about all we have here are native shag bark hickory.  In a good year they produce tons of nuts but about half are wormy.  In my opinion they're just about the best tasting nuts but difficult to shell, and for that reason I've never seen them for sale commercially.

WDH

William Bartram, a Botanist, traveled through Georgia in about 1770 and wrote a book called Bartram's Travels.  He described how the native americans used the hickory nuts.  Here is a paraphrase from his book.

"Bartram documented that he saw 100 bushels of shagbark hickory nuts that were stored at just a single Indian family home. The nuts were pounded into a mash, and then boiled in water, where a white, oily liquid separated called 'hickory milk.' The milk was skimmed off, and the liquid was described to be as sweet and rich as a fresh cream and was an active ingredient used by the Indians in cooking corn bread and hominy grits."

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wolf nemeth

Yep,  this place was a cotton plantation once upon a time. I'll try that  zinc and triple 13  next  spring if it's not a real wet one. thanks fo the info
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

SineWave

We have a bunch of the Mahan variety pecans on the land here. They're also called "paper shell" pecans because you can shell them without a nut cracker. Big nuts, thin shells, sweet flavor, what more can you ask for?

Around here, pecans grow very fast. I have mahans that are producing nuts at age 8, and a 50-year-old tree is huge, and probably close to dying of old age (or whatever). I don't think pecans typically live very long.

btulloh

Back to the original post:  I don't like to cut, saw, burn or clean up hickory or hickory limbs.  Other than that, it's great.  I admire people who admire hickory, but I ain't one of em.  Except for handles.

This thread has gone a little off the original track, so I'll just keep going a little bit further:  WDH gives a good list of all the hickory variants.  Thanks.  Around here in central VA we have always just had HICKORY trees.  There may be some other variations, but I can't say I can find one on my place.  Anyway, now that I see the list I'm wondering what I have here from that list.

We have pecan trees, some over a hundred years old. They have small nuts and every nut has a worm (like the chestnuts).  I guess they need to be sprayed for the worm problem and maybe fertilized for the nut problem.  In any case, a nut hardly ever hits the ground, because of the squirrels.  The squirrels plant the nuts, giving us lots of pecan trees in flower beds.  (Same with walnuts).  I would love to eat the pecans if they were a little bigger, but I don't care much for worms.

I will say that 100 year old pecan wood is pretty nice looking.  It is mostly uniform brown heart with just a little sap wood on the edge. About the color of chestnut but not quite.
HM126

btulloh

Quote from: SineWave on June 28, 2017, 01:42:49 PM
We have a bunch of the Mahan variety pecans on the land here. They're also called "paper shell" pecans because you can shell them without a nut cracker. Big nuts, thin shells, sweet flavor, what more can you ask for?

I could ask for you to send me a bushel of those pecans. 8)
HM126

SineWave

Quote from: btulloh on June 28, 2017, 02:04:16 PM
I could ask for you to send me a bushel of those pecans. 8)

I'd consider it, if the tree was still around. It got hit by lightning in a tropical storm maybe 8-10 years ago. I forget the name of the storm, it was a spanish man's name (Ernesto maybe?). Anyway, that was the end of that tree. But fortunately, it had LOTS of offspring that grew either from nuts or from root shoots. Those young trees are just starting to produce now.

WDH

btulloch,

With that bark, and 7 leaflets, what you have is mockernut hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Thanks for that info, WDH. 

The last two years there have been copious amounts of mockernuts falling on the tin roofs here.
HM126

drobertson

and if you were to find a straight grained, no knots one, you would soon realize why the handle prices are as they are,, I like the bark for smoking pork, and the plain sawn 4/4 for any interior work. Knots are friends with character,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

eschewed is a good word to use at certain times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

With certain things  :D.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

HM126

Don P

Mockernut is also known as white hickory, it has a wide band of white sapwood, the heart isn't as pretty or dark as a shagbark.

Have a friend that eschewed horses but he don't mess with them no more.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on June 28, 2017, 08:05:23 PM
eschewed is a good word to use at certain times.

Teacher, I did my homework but my dog eschewed it up...

Herb

paul case

Wanky is the word here for what hickory does when it dries.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Crusarius

This is not very nice to learn :(

I have a few shagbark hickory trees that have fallen down and I want to make flooring or cabinets out of them. I am guessing I should expect a large amount of loss during drying? They will be air dried since I do not have a kiln.

paul case

If they are good with no defects, and proper sticking/stacking with weights on top they may dry ok. Don't stake your living on it though.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SineWave

Thank You Sponsors!