iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory

Started by PineHill4488, June 21, 2017, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill4488

I have an opportunity on a hickory log about 40' to a limb of any consequence and 16" at the butt with very little taper.

What is a log like this worth?

If i jump, I'm thinking of sawing it around 2 1/8" by 8' for tables, etc.

Or how is it as beams?
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

WV Sawmiller

I'd pass on it. Hickory is least valuable wood available to me. Worth more to feed the squirrels on my place. I'd rather have a pine than a hickory. Just me. I would saw it if it fell but I would never cut it down for the lumber.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

1ruralmailman

you can mill it,it makes great looking cabinets,or flooring.the caveat to this is plan on alot of loss from it.hickory is one wood that behaves,or it doesnt,and not all from the same log will behave the same.some will stay true as the day is milled,other pieces will go screwy as soon as the blade clears the log.good luck let us know how it goes.

drobertson

Curious to see which type hickory it is.  Some have more dark heart wood with less sap wood, this stuff usually has great character. While other species have more white wood.. finding four 10 foot logs with little to no knots is not common around these parts, even with the apparent clear butt logs,  This said, if its free of metal, often hard to tell in hickory, could be worth 75 bucks give or take a few.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sealark37

Hickory is as hard as a woodpecker's lips.  Use your best blade.   Regards, Clark

PineHill4488

I appreciate y'alls opinions.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

mike_belben

I sell it to the local handle mill for $650/mbf.  I got $192 for one tree about that size.  Has to be 3 sides clear, they cut em like barrel stave to make handles.

Best i can get on what he rejects is usually tie log at $270/mbf.  Or $50 a rick for cut and split to the local BBQ if its too twisty.
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

No mention of flooring? When I was at the flooring store hickory was one of my best sellers. Lots of character and high on the hardness scale. Just wondering.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Magicman

Yes, Hickory makes very nice flooring. Was the Hickory flooring full thickness or a veneer over plywood?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Heck, I turn down 20 nice straight 30"+ at the butt and a easy 30'+ to the first branches pecan logs. Y'all have me scared trying to saw up any. ;D They went up in smoke in a burn pile. :(

Don P

Pecan is the best behaved hickory, lots of stereo cabinets are pecan.
I've made wainscot out of shag and mockernut a couple of times. Hickory is high waste but I like it.

TKehl

Quote from: fishfighter on June 23, 2017, 05:43:30 PM
Heck, I turn down 20 nice straight 30"+ at the butt and a easy 30'+ to the first branches pecan logs. Y'all have me scared trying to saw up any. ;D They went up in smoke in a burn pile. :(

That's sad.  If going up in smoke, it would be better if it were under some BBQ meat.  Hickory and Pecan bring a bit of a premium around here for that.  If a board misbehaves, it goes on the smoker pile. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

fishfighter

Pecan here is everywhere. Our parish is the highest output for pecan nuts in the USA.

Grizzly

Quote from: Magicman on June 23, 2017, 03:37:49 PM
Yes, Hickory makes very nice flooring. Was the Hickory flooring full thickness or a veneer over plywood?

Only one supplier offered Hickory as a veneer over plywood. The others were what we called a true hardwood as in complete boards. $10.95/sqft scared some folks off, especially when they found out that didn't include installation.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

TKehl

Quote from: fishfighter on June 23, 2017, 07:12:16 PM
Pecan here is everywhere. Our parish is the highest output for pecan nuts in the USA.

Not everyday someone wakes up to realize the are sitting on a goldmine!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

SineWave

The only hickory I've messed with was a big pecan that died (stuck by lightning) here in the yard, and that I cut up for firewood (didn't have a sawmill). All I know is, it rots surprisingly fast and makes a LOT of white fluffy ash when you burn it.

fishfighter

Quote from: SineWave on June 26, 2017, 07:40:06 AM
The only hickory I've messed with was a big pecan that died (stuck by lightning) here in the yard, and that I cut up for firewood (didn't have a sawmill). All I know is, it rots surprisingly fast and makes a LOT of white fluffy ash when you burn it.

It also loves to pop a lot. Reason why I don't use it.

WDH

Quote from: fishfighter on June 23, 2017, 07:12:16 PM

Ahem.....

http://www.agr.georgia.gov/georgia-grown-pecans-.aspx
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I knew Ga grew lots of pecans and when I was stationed in Albany I hunted squirrels in a friends grove. I remember people there used pecan shells for mulch in flower beds and such like they do bark in other places. They had hydraulic rams on the front of their tractors to shake the trees and modified sidewalk sweepers they used to pick up the nuts.

I also knew Texas grew lots of pecans and it makes sense LA would but somewhere I had read, or saw on a Game Show (Pure proof for accuracy - right?) that Oklahoma was the leading pecan producer in the USA.

In any case my opinion/vote can be influenced by pecan loyalists mailing me a few - already hulled and picked out get extra points. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

D6c

Quote from: Don P on June 23, 2017, 07:03:35 PM
Pecan is the best behaved hickory, lots of stereo cabinets are pecan......

I guess I never thought about Pecan being in the hickory family.....no pecan in my area unless someone plants it.  I put a couple in my yard but they're still only about 6' high.

Don P

IIRC there are 7 hickories, pecan is the thin shelled domesticated one. I think we felled a bitternut today, smoother barked than a mockernut but sort of in that same vein with rounder nuts (very immature) and a large amount of handsome red brown heartwood.

WDH

There are two types of hickories.  The True Hickories and the Pecan Hickories.  Leaves are deciduous and compound.  Fruit is a nut with either an indehiscent or dehiscent husk.  Dehiscence has to do with whether the husk naturally opens or remains tight to the nut.

The true hickories have leaflets of 5 to 7  and the nuts are more rounded.  Here are the Southern true hickories:
Pignut
Shellbark
Shagbark
Southern Shagbark
Sand
Black
Mockernut

The pecan hickories have more than 7 leaflets and the nuts are more flattened.  Here are the Southern pecan hickories:
Water
Bitternut
Pecan
Nutmeg

The Northern Area has less species, not as much diversity, and grits are eschewed, particularly in one part of Maine  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wolf nemeth

Well, while we're talking about pecans, perhaps  i can get some info....we bought an old house that had a couple of huge pecan trees, probably the  age of the house (180 y.o.)  After 16 years we finally got a  crop, and what a crop it was.  And the best nuts we ever tasted!
  Since then, nothing.....nada, zip, zilch. Is this  common with older pecan trees?
  By the way, I milled what I could of   the one that had bee struck by lightening. Appx  40" dia.   log that my  FEL couldn't handle,  not even a 6' log.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!