iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A swing blade in.......Kansas

Started by Silverback, December 19, 2004, 06:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverback

Just thought I would share for no particular reason.

Today I was driving on US 24 from Manhattan, KS toward Topeka.  As I was driving in the town of Belvue (pop about 50), I was in never never land jamming to 102.9 Classic Country and only keeping a half eyeball out for the Lance Armstrong wannebees (we get a bunch of em out of Lawernce and KC).  As you enter the town of Belvue there is a sawmill on the left side.  I've bought some hard maple and walnut from him in the past.  Best I recall he has a hydralic LT40.  Anyway, I happened to glance over at his log pile and sitting out in front of his saw shed was a big lucas; it took me by such surprise I almost ran off the road.  He does get some big logs in there so I sure he needs it.  I don't know where the logs come from--must be the very eastern part of Kansas and maybe western missouri.  The only thing I ever see around here are scrub ceder, osage orange, cotton wood, locus, and the occasion yard grown white oak.

No point to this post--I just thought I would share.  KSU_chainsaw, you probably know where I'm talking about.
Live Life.  And to borrow NEW HAMPSHIRE's motto: live free or die.

sawguy21

Them Lance Armstrong wannabes are downright hazardous on a busy highway, especially in winter. Almost ran over one moron who raced down the centre line to make a left turn instead of using the crosswalk.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ksu_chainsaw

Yep, I know exactly where you are talking about.  Last time I was in there, he had a guy from Manhattan come in with his 8" Lucas, but that guy was trying to sell it.  Cant remember the guys name, just that he ran a tree service in Manhattan and was out there on the west side of town somewhere.

Now, there are a LOT of BIG Cottonwoods down on the banks of the Kansas River.  I have a friend that farms a lot of that ground, and he has had me out to remove some of the trees that have fallen into the fields.  He only called me when they had trees that were over 40" dia, since that was as big as his saw would cut.  We pulled several 50-60" dia trees out of there that didnt have a branch for the first 60 feet- and then they were still at least 20" dia.

Im hoping that that guy is still wanting to sell his saw when i get home, just found out about the new re-up bonuses that the guard is giving out.  ;D

Charles

Fla._Deadheader

Charles, when ya due to come home ???  
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Silverback

I could stop in there if you want and see if it is the same machine and ask if it is still for sale and get back to ya.

sprucebunny

LIVE FREE OR DIE
is not Maine's motto
IT'S NEW HAMPSHIRE'S
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Silverback

Whatever.  Its one of those Yankee states where they talk funny  ;D :P

Captain

That's funny, Sprucebunny, I noticed your 357th post was a shot about your home state....live free or die

Captain

sprucebunny

Captain
I hadn't noticed that! Looks like I got the mark.
(Thank you, Silverback)
Sooo what shall I set my sights on for 380?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Haytrader

There is a Lucas mill just south of Pratt, Ks. also.
Belongs to a guy named Quayle (sp).
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!