iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gondola shelves

Started by Larry, June 21, 2017, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I have no idea why or where they got the name gondola shelving.  I do know every grocery store in the world uses them because they are strong, efficient, and attractive.

These are in my container.  The shelf on the right has maybe 200 board foot of red oak.  I have had a 1,000 foot on one eight foot section before with no effect.

They are also an easy and an interesting project to build.  I have a shower in the shop that never gets used, so to utilize that space I thought I would put some shelving in it.

I usually cut the spacer blocks to tilt the shelves towards the uprights.  On this unit a one degree angle gives about 3/16-1/4" tilt. 

Mortise and tendon backs.  The commercial shelving units normally use a 1/4" coated hardboard for the backs.

Finish is a quick (and sloppy) shellac wipe on.

For the actual shelves I'll just cut some pine boards to lay on the arms.  This is the first free standing unit I have built.  Others I have built were just the uprights and shelf arms.  I lag bolted the uprights to the wall.  Great for lumber storage, canoes, or anything long.  I think its possible to get so much weight on the shelves that the wall could be damaged.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Looks great.  I have some, and the open front is very handy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Where am I supposed  to bathe now when the wife kicks me out? Looks like some fantastic craftsmanship!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Darrel

My wife saw the pictures and has put gondola shelves on the honey do list. I told her I couldn't do it because I don't have any red oak, all I have is black oak.  :D

She's not buying it.  ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

samandothers

Very nice.  When I first looked I thought you had mortised and tenioned the shelf brackets.  Good design.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 24, 2017, 09:56:59 PM
Where am I supposed  to bathe now when the wife kicks me out?

The outside shower is still available. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

OffGrid973

Where do you normally use gondola shelves as I am digging the look.
Also reminds me of a karate practice block with removable pegs :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Larry

About the only place I see them is grocery/retail stores.  A free standing unit with glass shelves would make for a nice display in a art gallery I think.

Thank You Sponsors!