iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting a tire on a band saw

Started by Texas Ranger, July 28, 2017, 02:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

So, my small 12 inch band saw needed new tires.  I tried one of the new neopreem and got no where, I had about decided to call my bud in to help, when the idea crossed my mind to boil it, soften it, and tried again, still needed another hand but made do.  It is done.

Those of you who know another secret I need to know, tell me.  For those who have no problem doing this by themselves, more power to ya, brother.

:-\
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JV

I used hot water, big screwdrivers and a tire iron to change the ones on my 20".  Also several choice words along with a bruised knuckle.  Hope they last until the next guy does it.   >:(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Savannahdan

I found it easier for me to just pull the wheels off of the bandsaw and put them in a bench vice flat side.  I then pulled the tires over them using round shaft screwdrivers.  I didn't warm them up prior to pulling on them.  Tried that with an old Craftsman bandsaw and those tires stayed stretched out.  But in that case I recall that I put them on the tires while it was on the bandsaw which meant I had to pull them a numbers of times before getting them on the tires. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Den-Den

The last time I did it, I used a couple of clamps to prevent the tire from sliding off where I started and moved the clamps a couple times.  It was a minor pain but not horrible.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Kbeitz

When I work for Grizzly I had to change 100's of bandsaw tires.
I made a mini tire changer out of there hand metal bending machine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Den-Den on July 29, 2017, 06:23:34 PM
The last time I did it, I used a couple of clamps to prevent the tire from sliding off where I started and moved the clamps a couple times.  It was a minor pain but not horrible.

Yep, figured that one out.  I learn better the hard way.   ;D

21incher

I replaced mine with polyurethane tires a couple years ago and it was a real battle untill i just clamped one end and pulled a screwdriver around it like a tire machine.  The first set lasted 50 years so hopefully I will never have to replace them again. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Texas Ranger

21incher, I believe the board is trying to tell us it is your birthday.  Happy Birthday, bud!

Thank You Sponsors!