iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tobacco Barn---Kiln

Started by Randy, January 26, 2005, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Is it possible to convert these "Bulk" tobacco barn's to dry lumber in? I have several farmers that are selling out----------that have some of these barn's for sell. These barns move and look like shipping contaners except that they have a gas heater on the end. If anyone has done this or has any idea's get back to me soon. There is several of these barns about 1/2 miles from me that will be auctioned of in the morning(thursday morning}. Should I try and get one? Thanks Randy

Buzz-sawyer

I always like an auction sale BUT....
Is it a good value....?
I mean, it will keep rain off and is a shelter....but far from a tight building....but better than nothing, good for air/solar shed drying?.... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Randy

These "curing barns" are built very tight. They are all metal outside, similiar to a shipping container. The farmer I talked to today said they would easily hold a temp. of  whatever the outside temp.is up to 180 to 200 degree's with no problem, but I don't know what would have to be done to control the moisture. The barns do have vents that open and close--Hmmmmmm Just don't know if it will work. Randy

ellmoe

Randy,
   If the price is right they may make a good kiln for you. I have a couple of Koetter kilns that are basically a box with a heat source, air circulation, and venting. If I add another kiln I will probably build one out of a insulated overseas shipping container. However,one item of concern is the floor in the tobacco barn. Will it be able to handle the weight of the lumber?
   Good luck!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Randy

Ellmoe
 These barns do look just like a shipping container with a big gas burner heatsource hanging on one end with the double doors on the other end. The farmer said the floor would hold fine and he also said that New burners like hanging on the end of these would cost $5500 to replace, I figure it must be a big nice burner if it cost that much. He said that he felt that the older, but working "barns" would go for around $500 because they will have to be moved. The newer barns he expects to go for around $6000, but they also have to be moved. But I ain't paying no $6000 for one :o It takes the same type mover for these barns as it does for a shipping container(I also have a 40ft shipping container). Thanks for your advice. Randy

proot

Did anyone use a Tobacco barn as a kiln?

Thank You Sponsors!