iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Love those old timers

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 07, 2017, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

You have to love those old timers. I have mentioned several times about my old WWII veteran neighbor. He is 98 now and still going strong. During a recent heat wave however while driving his tractor and baling hay and such he got overheated and was concerned he had overdone it and did not feel safe to drive himself to the doctor so he called the number on the card the VA hospital had given him. He talked to the lady there for a long time while they sent an ambulance to check up on him. When he finally got her to hang up he told his family afterwards "That lady sure did talk a lot. I thought she was never going to quit talking." Turns out the phone number he had called was for the suicide prevention office at the VA. :D

The doctor checked him out and told him he had just overheated a bit and to rest in a cool spot for a day or two. By 0800 next morning he was back back on his tractor.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

That's funny I don't care who you are.  Them folks are a wonder, as long as they have something to do they don't have time to die, hope I make it half way there.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I'd say cut out of a cloth that just don't exist any more, there are some remnants, but they are short and frayed.  I say fly the flag and fly it high!!  thanks for sharing WV! Nice story, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DelawhereJoe

Sounds like your neighbor was working himself to death and if that lady had not kept him on the phone for so long preventing him from working he may have died. What a good job that lady did, kept him from killing himself from working to hard. I think HolmenTree may need that number with as many hours as he works by himself in the long hot Canadian summers. I'm sure he could use a break for a few hours talking to some random stranger while he sits in his truck with the a/c running.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!