iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nearly bought the farm, stupidity and carelessness

Started by petefrom bearswamp, June 20, 2017, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Yesterday while moving logs around my yard I had an 8 footer roll off the pile and get in my way of moving the logs.
Went back and didn't move it but took a small 8 footer off of the pile  and started backing up mindful of the log that was in the way.
Kept watching that log and backing up, but didn't take my hand off of the hyd lever and cranked it all the way up.
Looked up just in time to see it coming off of the forks directly at me.
Had time enough to say no no no when it rolled into the steering wheel of my Kubota.
I'm still here to type this which proves that deity looks after kids and old fools.
Thank my lucky stars that Kubota builds substantial machinery
Didnt sleep very well last night and havent told the wife yet.
Sawed today but was kind of jittery.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

You need a stop on that back of the forks!!!!!!!!  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Yep - God was watching.  It was a gentle warning I think.  It's weird how our body will do something without us knowing it.  You can do that same maneuver 10,000 times over the course of 50 years or something like that and be perfectly good at it but one "off day" and it all changes. 

Glad you're OK.  You'll be right as rain here in a few days.  And you'll likely be twice as slow and twice as careful on your machine from here on out for a few weeks then you'll get back in your old groove.

Close calls is how we become more wise in our ever increasing age.  I think this is how we become that old timer that just seems to know everything.  Or at least this is partly why...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Pete;  You need to install some log-stops on your loader bucket, forks, or whatever you're using to move logs!

I recall hearing that there were two people in this area, years ago that had the same thing occur, unfortunately neither one survived, the first one was with a log, the second was with a large, round hay bale!

Glad you're ok, let it be a warning and now, get your nerves settled down.  Sit still and have a cool "Adult Beverage"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

I have done that, concentrated on where I was going and forgot to let go of the lever. I almost rolled the tractor. It is a DanG good reminder to pay attention, mistakes like that can hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

I did almost the same thing but with a load of roofing shingles.  Tilted too far back and had a bundle come off and just miss me.  Had to pay for a new hood for a borrowed tractor too.  Those type of JD parts aren't cheap.

Hilltop366

Glad your ok, you can just throw those shorts out and buy new ones!

Tractors have roll bars on them but I think a bar should be required in the front when equipped with a loader especially loaders without a auto levelling bucket.

petefrom bearswamp

the forks have a back to them but when it is tilted all the way back and the loader is at max height it still rolled off.
Not sure how I could attach anything substantial to the apparatus that would work as i transport lumber stacks that extend above the back of the fork shield.
there was damage to the steering apparatus and reversing shuttle lever that I will have to have repaired and the exhaust stack was bent back, but i was able to return it to the original position without much problem.
Only personal damage was to my ego as I was too careless.
Limb risers such as on skidders are a possibility.
this is further proof that anyone is just one stupid mistake away from eternity

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!