iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

knee brace size and tenon question

Started by windfall, June 20, 2017, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windfall

Hello, I'm using doug fir 3x8 brace stock.  I would like to put a 2 inch tenon (width) with a one inch shoulder, 3 inch deep with a 1/2 inch housing.   These would be offset from the reference face.   I noticed the tenon size and shoulder are usually 1 1/2 inch each (split equally).  Also is the one inch of wood left for the shoulder and pegging enough? thankyou

timberwrestler

As long as you're not taking too much meat out of the corresponding piece with the mortise, then that will work.  As a very rough guideline, the mortise width would be 1/4 of the timber width.
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

windfall

okay thanks...I guess I forgot to state the post dimensions...8x10 so plenty of room overall on the ratio basis, was just wondering if an inch of shoulder was enough? as Id rather do 2 inch tenon than the standard 1 1/2 for a 3 inch thick material. thankyou

Brad_bb

I started out cutting 3" brace stock but quickly changed to 4" Thick.  Split one of the brace tenons driving the peg.  You want 2 shoulder on a 2"  tenon. Use 4x8 brace stock.  You can cut a curve in it or don't depending on your taste.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

windfall

Darn...I was afraid I'd hear that.  Makes sence...I was just trying to use what I had available.  Thanks for the advice!

Thank You Sponsors!