iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder planetarys

Started by Button, December 19, 2004, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Button

I have a 66 timberjack 230c. One of the hubs seals leak so bad the 90 wt pours out as fast as I pour it in. I am thinking of making an adaptor for a zerk that will go to the fill plug and fill it with grease, remove the adaptor and replace the plug. I do not use the skidder every day or commercially. Was wondering if this would work? Local repairman wants 500 to replace the seal if I bring the skidder to him. Enjoy the day
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

Mark M

It that an inboard or outboard planetary?

I'm not sure about using grease, the ones I'm familar with use roller bearings and tend to spin very fast.

J_T

Would almost think you might have a barring problem if it is leaking that bad .Wish I had it . Last winter I rebuilt a shuttle shift in my 4x4 tractor had to have some parts made as they were to high to buy .Had transmishon parts lying everywhere an a man saw them an said he would hate to have to put that thing back together and I said me too  ;D
Jim Holloway

isawlogs

I'm not to sure about puting grease in there ... the oil that lubs the planetery is it also the oil that flows in the differenciel , if so, you could at one point run your diff. low on oil and you dont want to go there ,
 Witch one of the seals is leaking?

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ed

Spend the cash to fix it right, $500 is cheap compared to what will happen it you burn it up!!!!!! A friend had a rear planetary fail on a JD backhoe, USED parts were $1200, no labor cost since he did it himself.

Button

It is an outboard planetary. To tell the truth I am not to sure about this fix either. I always fix my own stuff but this things size intimidates me. The tires are almost as tall as I with ice chains to boot. That and I have never done planetaries before. I guess I will just have to block it up and go nuts with the impact. Thanks for the advice
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

Buzz-sawyer

I tore into a similair job on my old hough wheel loader...the worst part was moving that big..... tire full of fluid

.........I had to eat my beans before I lifted that sucker!!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Mark M

Take the cover off then take a picture of what's inside. We'll tell you what to do next. Should be a couple of big tapered roller bearings under there. You can probably pull the axle and sun gear out when you have the cover off.  I've taken apart scraper wheels before so I imagine this is similar. Do you have a book for it?

Thank You Sponsors!