iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To those knowledgable on the subject of bibs, overhauls, rompers lol

Started by 4x4American, June 19, 2017, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Top one, watch chain, bottom one, pencil. Edit, bottom for when the pencil is worn down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Is it for when the pencil gets too short to be able to easily reach from the pocket?  and are you saying top picture or top hole?  Very interesting
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

Yes the pencil hole is for when it gets shorter.
My Pepere that tought me how to work wore overalls to work every day.
The man that tought me carpentry work wore carpenter overalls with a built in nail apron when the weather wasn't to hot.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

I like it, well thanks fellers, I always wondered and never knew.  I dont wear overhauls alot mainly in the winter time over jeans if it's nice and chilly out and the wind is blowing plus you cant beat em on a sled. 
Boy, back in my day..

sandhills

My late uncle wore bibs everyday of his life and was a pipe smoker, he always had one in his mouth and the other in a top pocket, as soon as one was out he'd stick it the other top pocket and light up the other.  Growing up I used to love standing down wind of him, I'll never forget the smell of Prince Albert  :).

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Quote from: 4x4American on June 19, 2017, 08:42:31 PM
I like it, well thanks fellers, I always wondered and never knew.  I dont wear overhauls alot mainly in the winter time over jeans if it's nice and chilly out and the wind is blowing plus you cant beat em on a sled.
thought I was the only one who wore them on a sled  :D use to get some looks when I use to ride up state walking in a bar with bibs on when everyone else had 500$snow gear on most thought I was a local and not from the south  ;)

WV Sawmiller

I figure like sandhills. My grandpa smoked PA and always had a flat can in that top pocket.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I agree. Those holes are for pocket watch chain and short pencil. I seem to never have either, but always have a cell phone, wallet, and ink pen in those big upper pockets.

Had a friend save my 300lb hide from falling off a truck bed while unloading logs with a cant hook. He grabbed my shoulder strap. Suspenders wouldnt have done that. I like overalls.
PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

51cub

Nice to see other people have such good taste. You'd think from the looks I get that I'm the only person in Connecticut that wears them
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Briankinley2004

Top one is for pocket watch chain. The end of the chain has a rod that goes in the slot  I used to have both. As for the other hole the answer probably lies within this document

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1336&context=rtd

red

This is the time of year to cut the pant legs off and have bibshorts. . .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ox

Quote from: 51cub on June 20, 2017, 09:09:22 PM
Nice to see other people have such good taste. You'd think from the looks I get that I'm the only person in Connecticut that wears them
I sometimes get looks around here too.  I can't wear them in the summer so much cause they're too hot but from fall through spring I'm wearing them exclusively.  Summertime it's carpenter jeans and suspenders.  The looks are usually from high brow folks who have never had to work physically hard for their living.  You know the type - they look fancy and expensive even when in Walmart.  The other looks I don't mind cause they're from folks like us and I usually get a little smile and a nod out of respect from these fellers.  It makes one feel good for a short while.

The more I think about it, the more I realize class stratification exists and is alive and well.  So be it.  I know which class can survive longer than the other when the times get tough.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Mooseherder

All the pockets and slots are for sawdust!
smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_fiddler

51cub

Quote from: red on June 27, 2017, 08:55:23 AM
This is the time of year to cut the pant legs off and have bibshorts. . .
I've thought about it. I just can't quite bring myself to do it. I don't know why I worry, I don't guess people around here would be any more upset about that than they are about the overalls
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

51cub

Quote from: Ox on June 27, 2017, 12:55:42 PM
Quote from: 51cub on June 20, 2017, 09:09:22 PM
I sometimes get looks around here too.  I can't wear them in the summer so much cause they're too hot but from fall through spring I'm wearing them exclusively.  Summertime it's carpenter jeans and suspenders.  The looks are usually from high brow folks who have never had to work physically hard for their living.  You know the type - they look fancy and expensive even when in Walmart.  The other looks I don't mind cause they're from folks like us and I usually get a little smile and a nod out of respect from these fellers.  It makes one feel good for a short while.

The more I think about it, the more I realize class stratification exists and is alive and well.  So be it.  I know which class can survive longer than the other when the times get tough.
I'll do the same thing with carpenter pants and suspenders, but it gets to be about 65 or so, and I have to go to shorts and sleeveless shirts. I catch the very devil when I call suspenders, braces. I get called old man, and farmer. Being called an old man doesn't bother me. I can't understand for the life of me why it's bad to be a farmer.

21incher

Got my first pair this spring and I use that top loop to hold reading glasses. Learn something new on here everyday. ;)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

scgargoyle

I wear 'em in cooler weather. I tried the bib shorts (you can buy 'em ready-made) but the bib is where the heat is, not the legs. I rarely see people wearing overalls around here, and I'm in rural SC. You'd think everyone would wear 'em here.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

low_48

Here's one of those genuine pocket watches, owned by the Uncle I was named after. He died in 1959 (I was 7), and he wore bibs everyday except for Sunday. When the weather got hot on the farm, he wore less under the bibs, and use less side buttons. Come the dog days, all he had on was the bibs and a pair of work boots. When he sat down, well lets just say you didn't want to be looking at him from the side! LOL

Here he is before it got too hot I guess, hadn't gone "commando" yet.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

low_48

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 02, 2017, 06:12:00 PM
Nice watch Low. I can't read the maker???
Thanks.
It's an Ingraham, made by The E. Ingraham Company Bristol Connecticut
I have another fun family watch story. I cleaned out my Mom's house to move her to assisted living. I found these other two watches together. I fussed with the stems a little, but nothing moved. THEN, I looked at them and they are both frozen at the exact same time. The family house burnt in 1943. My Uncle Richard lived with his Mom after his Father died at the age of 49 in 1937. So I have to think these watches got soaked from the firemen fighting the fire, and froze up the movements.

newoodguy78

Very nice watches. The mystique behind the two that stopped at the same time is great. I enjoy thinking about that kind of stuff. And just remember both of them are correct twice a day. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!