iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to cut up stubborn stump

Started by Bruce899x, June 19, 2017, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce899x

So I had 2 very large stumps I wanted to remove.  I managed to get them out of the ground and figured I would power wash the abrasives off and then cut them up.  Turns out I cant get them clean enough and have gone through 6 chains.   They are now 2 years old and hard as rock.   Tried drilling holes and putting chemicals in to rot them - no luck.  They can be nudged/moved, but are too big to go into a typical homeowner trailer.   Next call is tree service, but hoping something I haven't thought of will be an easy way to either move these things, or cut them up.  I have room at the back of the property to dump them. 

Any ideas?

btd

Neilo

Cut most of the way through from where the trunk was, ripping down towards the roots, so it looks like pieces of a cake. Split it apart with a steel wedge and a sledgehammer.

jdonovan

no easy way out of this, large stumps are a bear to deal with.

Burn, grind, wait, are about your only choices.

If you've got space on property for them to be moved, and you can let nature have its way with them, then that is likely your least-cost/pain way to deal with them.

Bruce899x

Cant really burn them - too accessible an area.  Re cutting like a piece of cake, there is hidden dirt and rocks all through these things so you can get down a few inches before the blade is shot.  I have come at them from a number of angles.   What about a concrete or metal chop saw?

mike_belben

Sawdust, leaves, manure, earthworms.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

They make a great backstop for a shooting range.

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

JohnW

I'd guess 160 hours with a ax would do it.

ohiowoodchuck

Take them to the back 40 and pour coarse salt on them. It will rot them plus the deer will lick them and paw at them.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Crusarius

heheh. I like the way you think texas ranger :)

Thank You Sponsors!