iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can't imagine living in the city

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 19, 2017, 10:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I know there are advantages to living in the cities and early in our married life and children's upbringing I lived on USMC bases and in the neighboring suburbs. The kids liked having close neighbor kids and playgrounds and such to play in. We moved here to WV when they were in middle school and we have never had any desire to go back. We have a creek in the front yard the kids caught minnows and crawfish and such out of, a mountainside behind us with grapevines to swing out over the holler to (especially to the mom's) terrifying heights, wildlife of every description to watch, hunt or trap. We moved here when my wife took a job as the local High School band director. Kids in her classes used to come tell her they were bored and she'd tell them she did not see how kids in the country could be bored.

My grandkids were here over the weekend and the middle granddaughter sat on the front porch taking pictures of various woodpeckers, and other birds stealing Sampson's dog food. I took her to my wood barn and showed her the Robin's roost with 6-7 nests in a row. I did climb up and remove all but the one with hatched out baby birds and I'll move it when they fly away. Abbie took 5-6 eggs home with her, much to her mom's displeasure. DIL said I was going to be fired as a grandpa then I reminded her I could not be fired - Slaves have to be sold.

Got up this morning to light drizzling rain and looked out the front window and spotted movement in the creek. Was a young doe in the creek browsing about 3' below a big old walnut tree. Kept watching and spotted her young fawn wobbling along with her. I told my wife and as we watched the fawn lay down in the grass. I grabbed a pair of leaky floppy rubber boots and went down to check.I walked with 3' of him before I spotted the hiding fawn. I motioned for Becky to get her camera and she came down in her houserobe and sneakers. She is not real good on slick slopes so I had to go help walk her down then she had to get her feet wet in the creek. Of course when we got about 10' from the fawn and before she could get in position for a good picture it got up and moseyed on down the creek. i think he lay down 20-25 yards away but we did not press him any more. I am sure the doe was never more than 50 yards away hiding in the thick roses and such of my neighbors lot on the other side of the creek.

Like I said, I can't imagine living any place where I had to worry about close human neighbors instead of our furry friends.

Well, I have to go. My neighbor just called and said he is bringing me 3 walnut logs to give me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bedway

Living in the country myself I know exactly of what you speak. On the weekends people pour in to our area getting out of the cities. Years ago I decided I wanted to live in this portion of northwest Pennsylvania adjacent to a national forest. The only drawback is we don't have much privacy because of the relatives and friends showing up to our place. Very few people plan to get away to the cities for their weekends.

Life is good here in gods country

nativewolf

See  want to live in the countryside, but I could definitely visit the city.  DC, NYC are packed on the weekends and for good reason.  DC has about 100 museums, great food of every type, baseball football bball. 

So I love to live in the country but I appreciate the city and all the wealthy city dwellers that buy nice furniture and otherwise lubricate the economy.

Nice get on the walnut logs!
Liking Walnut

Crusarius

I grew up in Upstate NY just like WV describes. We had 50 acres to play on and lots more around that we did not own. When I turned 18 I graduated from highschool then move to Phoenix, AZ. Talk about culture shock for a kid that had never been to a city.

I spent almost 10 years in AZ. I loved it out there. but what finally drove me away was the crime and the traffic. Now I live 10 minutes from where I grew up. I sure do love it here (minus the government and taxes).

I agree completely. as much as I enjoyed the convenience of the city. Anytime I wanted to go out on the deck in my birthday suit I always had an audience :)

The country is the place to be.

goose63

I have lived in the big city YOU CAN KEEP IT. Elpaso Texas I hated it Fargo is no better

Iwas born in western Montana would love to go back but the Calf clown's have moved in so 60 miles south of Fargo is where I'm staying 15 miles from Hankinson the olny I go to town is when I need something
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

I did years ago in a sense, late 60's through the 70's,  suburb, but it was lake country, and river country so for this part not so bad.  Since then travels back have proved like all have seen, highways crowded, populations expanding, not a good thing for a simple man traveling through big cities.  There are conveniences in cities, but we have them here as well, times are tough no matter where one is. I prefer a more simple life, friends and family.   Population, bout 3000? mega stores 90 miles away,  this works for us.  There will always be folks that try to get your goat so to speak,  they have their own set of issues.  Praise God for His mercies and grace,  and be ready to help those around you who need it.  Cities have a plenty of willing and helpful folks,  they just have more traffic to deal with.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

I grew up in a small town, left at 19 looking for more opportunities. I ended up spending over 30 years in the cities but when I retired we moved back to my home town. My wife was city born and raised but after spending time here she had enough of the rat race too. We are five minutes from the grocery store and druggist, 20 minutes from a very good doctor. We had a neighbor's steer in our pasture Saturday morning, a deer today much to Karen's delight. We can sit outside and listen to songbirds instead of sirens. Her kids live just outside Vancouver, my blood pressure goes up when I get within 90 miles of that circus.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

I have no friends in the city, I'll stay in the woods. ;D

smiley_big-grin2
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Crusarius on June 19, 2017, 12:21:50 PM
I grew up in Upstate NY ...

The country is the place to be.

Crusarius,
I google-mapped your town.  Wow, what a perfect place - the Finger Lakes but the smaller ones so not a lot of tourists.  I'd say the down side is the winters there - but that keeps the crowds away!

The down side here is the summers - we are in the middle of a week of 108-110°.  Keeps the crowds away :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Winters aren't bad. I would prefer them to be worse. My sled doesn't get nearly enough use :)

coxy

ill stay where I'm at in less I find a better spot further in the woods I'm about half way between Middletown ny and Binghamton ny they are the closes big cities and there over a hour away and some times that's to close  Crusarius last year was the first time in 4 years I started and road my sled i put 6 miles on it  8) 8)

petefrom bearswamp

Early years in Schenectady NY then a small town Delanson about 16 miles away.
left to go to forestry school but spent some time in DC and Philadelphia after graduation.
Moved back to rural NY and been a country guy ever since.
Love it here on our 129 acre piece where we see all kinds of wildlife.
Syracuse is not far away if we want to go to the "big city"
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Grizzly

For a short time we lived near a very small town called Sunnynook, AB which is close to the middle of nowhere. The kind of place that when the neighbours went to town to get the mail you got for all 5 neighbours in your area. Even if you had just a smidgen of a feeling something was wrong at the neighbours you went to check it out because an ambulance was over an hour away. If it was bad enough STARS would come and get you but even they would be a bit. That was our first introduction to prairie life and I really appreciate how we learned to watch out for the other guy not just for yours. Closest neighbour was 5 miles and the bosses farm site was 7 miles. We lived on the second site. That was good living. Now our closest neighbour is 2 miles and they're a great young couple but we have thousands of acres of pasture surrounding us on 3 sides and if we didn't have such a noisy household we'd see a lot more wildlife.

Both my wife and I grew up in the Aldergrove area of BC. Major city area now and we don't really appreciate visiting but our mothers are there.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Crusarius

Quote from: coxy on June 20, 2017, 05:15:25 PM
ill stay where I'm at in less I find a better spot further in the woods I'm about half way between Middletown ny and Binghamton ny they are the closes big cities and there over a hour away and some times that's to close  Crusarius last year was the first time in 4 years I started and road my sled i put 6 miles on it  8) 8)

Sounds like my last couple years. Maybe we can both get more miles this year.

coxy

I put 1900 miles on it grass dragging  :o :)

thecfarm

If there was no cities,there would be no country for us to enjoy.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

we also couldn't complain about the flat landers  :D

50 Acre Jim

My username pretty much describes my choice.   ;)

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Raider Bill

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 22, 2017, 07:41:12 AM

I ride through your area every year in July. Waylah road is a favorite of ours.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Crusarius

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 22, 2017, 08:10:39 AM
Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 22, 2017, 07:41:12 AM

I ride through your area every year in July. Waylah road is a favorite of ours.
I won't have my mill by the time you come through but holler anyway and I'll show you around the place!  Always good to meet new people with the same mindset.  :-)

Quote from: Crusarius on June 22, 2017, 08:28:45 AM
That deck is gorgeous.
Thank you Crusarius.  It's actually built on the slope of the hill so the far side is about 12' off the ground.  :-)

coxy

don't chop my head off :) but how come you don't cut the trees in front of the deck for a better view

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: coxy on June 23, 2017, 07:17:54 AM
don't chop my head off :) but how come you don't cut the trees in front of the deck for a better view
No head lopping today coxy.  :D  We have a large deck that wraps around the house and that is the deck that provides the views.  The lower deck needs the trees to provide shade and keep it shaded from the sun. 

sandhills

coxy

thanks for sparing me  :D  you have some great views at your place I could sit there all day with a recliner and a cooler full of alcohol 

Thank You Sponsors!