The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Perspective of HYD vs MAN mill  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
Re: Perspective of HYD vs MAN mill
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:12:47 pm »
 :
It says in the Goat manual that they are Back Stops.
Side Support? What is it supporting? Nothing.
What is it stopping?
The log from rolling off between your tire and frame. Simple.

What do you call a rubber cylinder, 50 foot long that carries water.
Y'all call it a water hose.....We call it a hose pipe. Its just a southern thang.  :D

:D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 10:37:34 pm »
On the topic. My mill all hydro. I had a log turner idler adjustment break so no log turner. So I grabbed the can't hook. I found out very quickly that I changed the way I sawed. Not for the good. Laziness prevailed, instead of turning log I would cut my can't down to a 6x6 only turning log (manually) 4 times. Of course they were10-14in logs. And my blade took the brunt of the work (always in the bark). But the "to be edged" stack got big qiuck with alot more 2 sided live edge. I would hate to see myself on an all manual mill. It takes a day or two every ounce in a while of not having somethin to remind me of what I have. Of course it's a matter of prospective, I have to make xxx amount of lumber a week to keep up with another business I have.  If not bottleneck occurs overnight and shortly after 2 employees riding that time clock :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 06:03:36 am »
Manual mill is fine,if just sawing for yourself.  ;D  I only saw for mine own building projects. I would not want to try to make a living on a manual mill.  :o   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 08:04:05 am »
I make half a living with a manual mill it's hard work.
But I cut what a good seller for me.
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 10:06:31 am »
Two big differences in manual vs hydraulic.. Initial cost. I bought a used manual mill cause that's what the budget would bear. I quickly found out I needed some assistance with material handling. At my age, wrestling big logs and moving/stacking lumber soon becomes an excuse for leaving the mill idle Production.. amount of lumber produced per day and the physical cost of same.
Adding factory hydraulics proved to be impractical, but there are ways around that. My current mill is the same manual wm lt40 with home-made hydraulics added a little bit at a time as I could afford. A manual mill has it's place, but if you get serious about making lumber, hydraulic assist is a must unless you enjoy abusing your bod..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Online tawilson

• Full Member x2
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 11:56:35 am »
I would to add resale value. I shopped all last winter and decided the extra I spend now for hydraulics will be at least partially returned if I ever decide to sell or trade.
Tom
LT40HDG35 WIDE

Offline Crusarius

• Full Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:53 pm »
I see ppl talk about hydraulics all the time. Does anyone ever think of electric hydraulic? or maybe straight electric that can be run off the alternator? Aren't most hydraulic systems run off a second engine? Unless its a full hydro mill?
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline Den-Den

• I'm new!
    • Dennis Wood Art
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 03:26:00 pm »
I see ppl talk about hydraulics all the time. Does anyone ever think of electric hydraulic? or maybe straight electric that can be run off the alternator? Aren't most hydraulic systems run off a second engine? Unless its a full hydro mill?

I believe Wood Mizer uses a electric powered hydraulic pump and Pineywoods homemade hydraulics are 120vac powered.  Some are powered by a second engine.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 06:07:53 pm »
Two of the best friends a sawmill owner can have,

1 A diesel power-plant
2 Hydraulics

If you can have them both you're in great shape,

D

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 06:29:25 pm »
I'm all electric. Just turning hydraulic pumps. No gas or diesel here. I guess I'm kinda coal powered, because that's what fuels are electricity here on the power grid 8)
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
I'm all electric. Just turning hydraulic pumps. No gas or diesel here. I guess I'm kinda coal powered, because that's what fuels are electricity here on the power grid 8)

How many hp on each, if I was stationary that would be the way to go, also instead of the cord reel I'd set it up like the Cooks with the overhead wires.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:21 pm »
Mines over head wire. It also has the hydraulic hoses for up,down motor which is also hydro. 3hp hydraulic, and a whooping 10hp motor for saw.

Offline Crusarius

• Full Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 08:03:42 pm »
there is a 16 hp kubota b7100 just down the road for sale. The guy wants 2500 for it. Bet that would make a decent power plant for my sawmill :)

I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:42 am »
All manual mills should be upgradable to hydraulics, of course manufactures want you to order a new mill. Selling and buying new incurs taxes and other losses that would have made it cheaper to order the hyd's on your first mill. Dubbing around cutting for yourself alas "putter miller" is fine but that leads into milling for hire. If your an older fella get or build a hydraulic turner, give the money to yourself not the chiropractor. If your young and strong, stay that way with hyd's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline dustintheblood

• Full Member x2
  • Home in the woods
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 08:19:59 pm »
Are you referring to the side supports?  I'm not aware that WM offers extra hydraulic clamps on their mills.

I call them back stops. Some call them side supports.

I've called them "targets" a few times, but won't admit how many times
Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on