iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perspective of HYD vs MAN mill

Started by Whitetail_Addict, June 18, 2017, 08:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawilson

I would to add resale value. I shopped all last winter and decided the extra I spend now for hydraulics will be at least partially returned if I ever decide to sell or trade.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Crusarius

I see ppl talk about hydraulics all the time. Does anyone ever think of electric hydraulic? or maybe straight electric that can be run off the alternator? Aren't most hydraulic systems run off a second engine? Unless its a full hydro mill?

Den-Den

Quote from: Crusarius on June 19, 2017, 12:25:53 PM
I see ppl talk about hydraulics all the time. Does anyone ever think of electric hydraulic? or maybe straight electric that can be run off the alternator? Aren't most hydraulic systems run off a second engine? Unless its a full hydro mill?

I believe Wood Mizer uses a electric powered hydraulic pump and Pineywoods homemade hydraulics are 120vac powered.  Some are powered by a second engine.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

dgdrls

Two of the best friends a sawmill owner can have,

1 A diesel power-plant
2 Hydraulics

If you can have them both you're in great shape,

D

killamplanes

I'm all electric. Just turning hydraulic pumps. No gas or diesel here. I guess I'm kinda coal powered, because that's what fuels are electricity here on the power grid 8)
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

ladylake

Quote from: killamplanes on June 19, 2017, 06:29:25 PM
I'm all electric. Just turning hydraulic pumps. No gas or diesel here. I guess I'm kinda coal powered, because that's what fuels are electricity here on the power grid 8)

How many hp on each, if I was stationary that would be the way to go, also instead of the cord reel I'd set it up like the Cooks with the overhead wires.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

killamplanes

Mines over head wire. It also has the hydraulic hoses for up,down motor which is also hydro. 3hp hydraulic, and a whooping 10hp motor for saw.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Crusarius

there is a 16 hp kubota b7100 just down the road for sale. The guy wants 2500 for it. Bet that would make a decent power plant for my sawmill :)

bandmiller2

All manual mills should be upgradable to hydraulics, of course manufactures want you to order a new mill. Selling and buying new incurs taxes and other losses that would have made it cheaper to order the hyd's on your first mill. Dubbing around cutting for yourself alas "putter miller" is fine but that leads into milling for hire. If your an older fella get or build a hydraulic turner, give the money to yourself not the chiropractor. If your young and strong, stay that way with hyd's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dustintheblood

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 18, 2017, 03:30:28 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 18, 2017, 03:14:38 PM
Are you referring to the side supports?  I'm not aware that WM offers extra hydraulic clamps on their mills.

I call them back stops. Some call them side supports.

I've called them "targets" a few times, but won't admit how many times
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!