iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone mix Glyphosate and 2, 4-D for brush control?

Started by Illinois Timber, June 17, 2017, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinois Timber

On my property, a 2-3% glyphosate mixture is not enough to control honey locust, autumn olive, or young oak seedlings growing in my CRP when sprayed on foliage.  I've typically had to cut the young trees, bushes during the dormant season and spray the stumps with a 25-33% triclopyr mixture.  I'm looking for something for a foliar spray with enough punch to take down tougher vegetation.  I'm thinking about mixing Glyphosate with 2, 4-D (weed B gone) and a few drops of dish soap as a surfactant .  Has anyone else tried this?  Any other recommendations for foliar sprays?  Thanks.

bucknwfl

Add a 3-4 percent of garlon 4 ultra in with the glyphosate.  It is tricolor the same chemical you are using as a cut stump treatment with.

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Don_Papenburg

Do 2 quarts  with 20 gallon s of water per acre buy 2-4d -6 .  You can get 2-4d-4  but -6 has more active agents.  More water gives better coverage. quit spraying three hours before sundown with gly.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Illinois Timber!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

btulloh

I mix Crossbow with glyphosate for brush and tough stuff.  Crossbow has Triclopyr and 2-4D.  Triclopyr is great for things like privet and multiflora.  The combo works well and the Crossbow can be used full-strength for cut-stump application.
HM126

Claybraker

Down here in the South Imazapyr (Arsenal or Chopper with Glyphosate is a popular mix) but we're managing for pine, and Imazapyr is soil active and persistent, so might not be a good choice around hardwoods. Trichlopyr (Garlon) might be a better choice. I use it a lot for basal bark spraying, and sometimes for foliar applications. I've never done any cut stump work, because it seems like a lot of hard dangerous work, with little to show for the investment, compared to other methods. Cutting a sweet gum and hoping you can treat the stump before it stump sprouts or  root sprouts is an exercise in futility.

Thank You Sponsors!