iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY band saw mill

Started by coyotebait, June 17, 2017, 07:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotebait

I need to decide sheaves or tires . Companies don't use tires .  Is the only reason for tires ,to save money ? Because I find sheaves are not that much different , when they are the 18.75 inch sheaves.on line for 45 bucks apiece. I have found a outlet for everything  else. about $1075.00.  Has anyone had experience with both. I don't see why people use tires.

Den-Den

I am using tires, no experience with sheaves.  The tires on my mill are 24" OD which in theory should give me better blade life.  I have cut perhaps 10K bd ft and only broke one blade after being sharpened several times.  I may have been lucky getting tires with the right amount of crown when fully inflated but am happy with the tracking and quality of cut (after a learning curve).  I am sure you can build a mill using sheaves for wheels and agree that the cost difference is not significant. 
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

TKehl

This is speculation and not in any way based on experience.

I'm betting tire mills are a bit easier to build as a first mill as the blade tension could mostly be adjusted by tire pressure (assuming it was close to start with) allowing for a fully welded head.  Using sheaves would require fabricating a tensioning mechanism as the diameters are fixed.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Den-Den

Quote from: TKehl on June 17, 2017, 11:18:30 PM
This is speculation and not in any way based on experience.

I'm betting tire mills are a bit easier to build as a first mill as the blade tension could mostly be adjusted by tire pressure (assuming it was close to start with) allowing for a fully welded head.  Using sheaves would require fabricating a tensioning mechanism as the diameters are fixed.

I don't think this would be a good way to build a mill.  Getting the tire pressure right and getting the tension right are both important, the chances of getting both right without a tension adjustment is slim.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Joe Hillmann

I built mine with tires because I had them already.  If I was buying everything new I would have gone with the 18 inch pulleys you are thinking of.  With tires I am limited to how much tension I can put on the blade before the rubber of the tires starts to deform around the blade.

bandmiller2

Yotebait, tires will work but you end up with a "bubba mill" thats is hard to put a guard on and fine adjust. Band wheels are the most critical part of a mill and money spent on them is money well spent. I don't mean to insult my brothers that mill with tire but you know what I mean. It can be done with tires but it can be done better and easier with at least belted "Vee" sheaves. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

coyotebait

Thanks for the replies. 

york

Look at this,this way....If tires was such a great idea,your major mill builders,would use tires-They do not use tires.......
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!