iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS201T Ignition Module

Started by Hdsoftail03, June 16, 2017, 07:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hdsoftail03

An FYI for anyone else having this problem with Stihl ignition modules.
Not so much as a Question, but a heads up for anyone who is having problems with their Stihl MS201T
I run a Small engine shop and am a third generation small engine mechanic and have never run into one like this.  Customer brought me his Stihl saw said it just quit and would not restart.  Checked spark (None)  Disconnected the module kill wire still no spark.  Okay needs a new ignition module.  Ordered one postal service ran over that one with fork truck.  On to number 2.  Installed proceeded to test spark (Nothing)  Okay check mounting - good  air gap - good  continuity from coil mount to cylinder - good  No spark.  Decided must have a defective module.  Number 3 Same results (No Spark)  Spent sleepless nights asking myself what I was missing here.  Checked all forums for possible other instances of these being bad.  Finally I spoke to another long time Stihl Dealer.  He knew of and had this happen to him.  Stihl has and know they have an issue with the 1145 400 1303 ignition modules for these saws.  So before you think you have done something wrong it may not be so.  On to Coil number 4  has to be a good one out there.  Right?

CR888

I could be wrong but I find it hard to swallow 3 or 4 modules are duds. Have you tried swapping out a flywheel and or module from a running saw? The magnets could be shot on flywheel.

Hdsoftail03

Thanks for the post Cr888  I thought that the magnets maybe bad at first, even though I have never run into that as an issue before.  The magnets are good and strong and the North south polarity is right.  I have been over and over everything with this saw and it always comes back to bad module.  I don't have access to another 201T with a good coil and you pretty much have to take the saw completely apart to switch it out.  Oh and thats what is so frustrating about this is I find it hard to believe there could be such a bad batch.

CR888

Well I hope you work it out it sounds frustrating!

sablatnic

I have on several occasions had a new ignition module being defective, but never twice in a row.

HOWEVER - in the ninetieth we had a lot of problems with the Husqvarna 225 and 235 trimmers. About 25% of the carburettors were defective, and 25% of the replacement carburettors were defective too, so quite often we had to replace the replacement to get the critter running.

What I am trying to say is, that spare parts can be defective too. Too bad you haven't got another 201 to test the parts on!  :-(
You aren't so lucky that another Stihl is using the same module - you can see that on the parts catalogue.

Hdsoftail03

So here it is 2 months after I posted the MS201T Ignition problems and this is how it went.  The 3rd module was purchased from a local Stihl dealer.  Installed it and it sparked for 3 pulls of the rope went intermittent and quit.  Dealer says no refund on electrical parts.  Talked to Stihl and they say it has to be looked at by the dealer to warranty the module.  Okay.  Take it to the dealer.  Their mechanic change module AGAIN nothing, changed flywheel, nothing.  Basically did everything I did and can't get spark.  Sends it to Regional Stihl distributor they say they put it through their parts cleaner and they have spark.  Great.  But say it has 15 per cent compression leakage and needs a Cyl & piston for it to tune and run right.  Then they send it back to my local dealer.  I go pick it up get home test for spark, NOTHING.  Call Regional Stihl, they say had spark there and if its sent back to them for the spark issue they are putting on a Cyl & piston.  I've pretty much had it with Stihl, and it still comes down to their Ignition Modules are Junk.  I have never had a repairable saw that I had to send back not running, but have no choice since Stihl will not help by supplying good parts.

ladylake

Stihl like way too many company's has been cheapening  up the saws bad lately, like Sears it will come back to bite them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Texas-Jim

First thing, the modules have been made in same factory for years as are most of Stihls modules, so idea they have been cheapening them up is unlikely. Second as a Stihl dealer we have and get technical bulletins all the time addressing new issues on equipment. I looked today and there are no bulletins for the module. So its not a known defect or at least its not a known fault in them.

I have no idea what is the problem but i have never had one on a MS 201 fail yet, and I have put on one new module that was bad from factory in 42 years.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

joe_indi

I have not encountered a MS 201 yet but I have run into issues on the MS 461 which, like the 201  has variable electronic ignition timing and speed limiter built into the coil. The tests you do might give misleading results. A ZAT tester might show spark or a tach meter will give a reading when you crank the engine with the starter but due to malfunction of the speed limiter the spark (I suspect) gets cut off any faster turning over of the engine. Or the timing adjust malfunctions to give a spark at the wrong timing. With the non-Mtronic 461 it is possible to get a reliable fix by either swapping the module with one from the 460 or, sometimes, by cutting off the 3rd pole on the coil.
And as posted by Hdsoftail03 I have had brand new replacement coils fail, not with the old coils but with the ones with the extra fancy electronics.

Kbeitz

Myself I would try baking the coil...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

This might sound like a tall tale but I did have this happen .On an Echo weed wacker one of the magnets got weak,no sparky .Took me a while to figure that out .I recharged it by rubbing a rare earth magnet over it .Fired right up and ran the whole summer .However after sitting the winter it again lost it's magnetism .Rather part of it's magnetism .You can check same with a small screwdriver to determine of one magnet is weaker .

cnp

Other Ignition Module (Husqvarna 544047001) for Husqvarna 346xp.  I had to return a total of three
ignition modules for a no spark condition.  Also, all three failed to meet the manufacturer's specification
for the primary and secondary  resistance.  The first two purchased came from an authorized Husqvarna
dealer, the third (a sealed Husqvarna product) came from a dealer on e bay.  All refunded my payment.

A newer version is available and I purchased it : 510 115 501.  These comments support the experience
of the above member:  If no spark, send it back.  All of this took place in 2020.

thedoublejranch

Quote from: Hdsoftail03 on September 01, 2017, 10:10:51 PM
So here it is 2 months after I posted the MS201T Ignition problems and this is how it went.  The 3rd module was purchased from a local Stihl dealer.  Installed it and it sparked for 3 pulls of the rope went intermittent and quit....
Go to Amazon and search for NOVAII ignition module, I fixed a dead Sachs Dolmar saw that the original Bosch unit was made out of unobtainium. Its designed to convert a points system to solid state, but I say, why wouldnt it now work to fix a dead solid state. Worked great! Oh, cost was under $15

Oregon, the chain guys also makes one.
Oregon 33-053 Ignition Module, its under $20
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Al_Smith

The problem with that theory is the original coil is a self contained unit with a trigger circuit contained within .Without being able to connect an external trigger to the coil it would not be of any use .These things are encapsulated in an epoxy base which renders them as not repairable for all intents .
Those "Nova " units will replace points and most with external trigger devices though .On a points system I much prefer the points over solid state trigger units .Just saying---

steele109

I have a stihl 201t that I rebuilt resently. That had spark before I rebuilt it but now has none. I also have a 201tcm that was skidder modified that I put back together and it has no spark. I bought a ignition module new of ebay and it had no spark. Went to to the local stihl dealer this afternoon and they tell me there are 2 different modules. They said if I put the wrong one on it no joy it wouldn't work.He also said the both take the same module. Personaly I think he is full of prune juice. So I'm going to check the numbers on the modules. Before I fork over any cash.

Real1shepherd

I second the idea of keeping it points if it came that way. If you absolutely can't find parts for the points plate or there is some physical damage, then chip it. The Jonsereds point system is so bulletproof and gives you such a nice, fat blue spark for easy start, it's moot to chip it.

And the cheap chips are just generic....not designed for your particular saw like the later potted OE modules were.

Kevin

sawguy21

It doesn't have points, they went the way of Hudson and the dodo bird in the early 80's. I will be interested to hear what comes out of this.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I have a Mac 125C that somebody had installed an advance offset key with an Atom Arc .Most likely 2.5 degree of advance . The unit went bad and as luck would have it the points were still intact .It starts  easier and runs better with points than that other gizmo . 

Thank You Sponsors!