iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

serving trays for a winery

Started by tule peak timber, June 15, 2017, 07:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Enjoy your threads and you sharing your experiences and ways to manage 'situations' that you have encountered.

I look forward to the progress.

Savannahdan

Funny, I so distracted looking at the dog which appears to have one good eye and didn't notice all the other dogs.  Glad to see the kitchen coming along.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

tule peak timber

The little one came to us five months ago SEVERLY abused along with her brother. Tony who works here saw a guy dump them out of a box on to the highway when he was coming to work and he scooped them up before they were killed. Both dogs were in horrible condition from physical abuse. When I first saw them I just sat and cried ..............Now they never leave my side, and will never go without anything they need or want. All of our dogs over the years come to us more or less this way. Tomorrow I'm donating a slab table to be auctioned off for a boxer dog rescue organization.

We like dogs around here! Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

21incher

I have never seen anyone mount a sink in a wood top like that. What happens with seasonal wood movement when the sink is not floating on the top?  ???
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

I've been subsetting sinks like this for years, so far without problem.The wood in all cases is sealed with epoxy on all faces. This sink also had about an inch of "spin" over six feet making it very hard to get level with the wood surface. We shall see if it holds, otherwise it is off to plan "B"....Rob

tule peak timber

The guys worked the mills today producing  various cookies for the next projects. I'm still stuck on "kitchen duty". 

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 30, 2017, 03:23:36 PM
The little one came to us five months ago SEVERLY abused along with her brother. Tony who works here saw a guy dump them out of a box on to the highway when he was coming to work and he scooped them up before they were killed. Both dogs were in horrible condition from physical abuse.
I'm in the woods but we have dogs/cats that find their way to us that people have tossed out for one reason or another.  I hate people sometimes. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

tule peak timber

We all do the best we can,,,I hope to help out a little more tomorrow. Rob

Savannahdan

Love the project and the donut.  Glad you're helping the dogs.  We even have an orphan parakeet that was on our sidewalk one day.  He let me pick him up which meant he was really stressed.  He provides us with lots of entertainment including teasing our old cat.  BTW, the donut looks like a bobcat face if you rotate it a bit.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

tule peak timber

You are welcome to break bread at my table anytime !!!

tule peak timber

I worked through the weekend and got the corner of the kitchen done. VG doug fir cabinets, windows, and entry doors, tan oak ceiling, teak work surfaces.  Meanwhile the march of tables goes on and on. 

tule peak timber

The cuttings were finally dry enough that I ran them through the kiln at 155 last night, just to make sure. I am using a penetrating epoxy that will tend to hold the bunch together, but still allow me to unwrap the string that binds the bunches. This epoxy is different in that it has a vehicle or thinner that needs to outgas over a couple of days. It's intended use is for dryrot, but I use it for all sorts of things in the finishing process. After these have hung for a couple of days we'll move onto the next epoxy step. Rob

tule peak timber

Second epoxy application , this time with AeroMarine 300/21, a little more viscous resin to stiffen things up.I'm off to the AWFS wood show tomorrow marking the first day in 6 years that I've set foot outside of the shop.  Next week ---Rob

tule peak timber

A special jig to safely slice the vines into mini cookies. The guy to the rear shovels the cookies into a wheelbarrow. Everyone keeps a safe distance from the blade.

This young man is assembling the cookies onto a thin plywood sheet.

The blank is prepped and allowed to set for a couple of hours.

Copper infill.

And two more tray versions , one for export and the other for domestic use in  different woods. Cheers Rob

Magicman

I am always amazed with your vision and ingenuity.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Rob when we talked on the phone a while back, you told me about the grapevine serving trays. This is way different then what I had pictured in my mind and also way cooler!

I shall stay tuned.
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

tule peak timber

Sand flat, cut the core, and sandwich with a matching cookie.Meanwhile the march of tables goes on with a little milling for a customer.

tule peak timber

And close to finished. Grape vines , mesquite, and walnut. At 3 inches thick, they weigh about a pound each and are going into the field for testing in commercial use.If they hold up- we will go from there.  Cheers  Rob

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

69bronco

Magicman

They are one of a kind and truly works of art.  They are what "bragging rights" are made of. 

My hat is off to You Sir. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I have been thoroughly WOWED!!!!!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

YellowHammer

Amazing work!
Are you hand applying edging to cover the foam core?  Did I miss something?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

21incher

Wow. You keep setting the bar higher. smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
You need to figure out how to photograph and print the grapevine tray pattern on a laminate flooring for my wife.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 02, 2017, 06:35:36 AM
Amazing work!
Are you hand applying edging to cover the foam core?  Did I miss something?
I dried a batch of bark to glue on the edges but ditched the idea due to weight concerns. I ended up layering different browns and black pigmented epoxy and one layer of orange on a "lumpy "thickened base coat. A few swipes with a carving tool and the subtle layers are exposed along with some texture. More durable and much less weight than real bark. Rob

Thank You Sponsors!