iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

serving trays for a winery

Started by tule peak timber, June 15, 2017, 07:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

So I'm pitching the owner of a new small winery about why he might want to go with us. One of my ideas is to take trimmings from his vineyard and turn them into serving trays, see pics attached. My guys are used to working in wood that requires a forklift -and this is a little different. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

John S

I am curious to see where your creativity is going this time.  Looking forward to seeing a completed prototype.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tule peak timber

I posted this to see who might be curious. I will make progress posts on the tray development as well as the other interior millwork . For today we staged the woods going into the kiln prior to fabrication.Got to make sure that I have all the parts and pieces ready for fall delivery. Cheers  Rob

69bronco

Crusarius

Magicman

The only thing that I know is that you ain't crazy, so I'll just follow along.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Savannahdan

I'm here and always enjoy these trips.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

breederman

Together we got this !

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Slingshot

I'll try to catch up when I find out where I am..........

tule peak timber

While the grape vines are drying, we prepped a canyon live oak table today for pickup this weekend. The guys are hand rubbing out to 2000, then we get the machines out...Cheers  Rob

drobertson

yep, riding right along with the rest,, mighty fine finish work, It does start with a good foundation, and preparation, you are very generous with sharing your craft skills.. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

This site is a good place to share , and learn.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tule peak timber

Hah, Now that you mention it......

Jeff

The price now goes up. You are very welcome. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tule peak timber

spanks alot When are we going to set up the west coast version of the pig roast ?

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

So the vines are getting dryer and we re-wrapped them today for additional compression. Meanwhile the guys in the shop keep working on more tables and I'm building some teak countertops for the wife's new kitchen A few pics of the sink setup today. Major thinking on subsetting the sink edge perfectly flat with the wood countertop. Certainly a challenge... Glue up first thing tomorrow morning.My wife has been away for a very long time dealing with a family issue and I hope she is  surprised when she gets home next week. Cheers  Rob

Jemclimber

"dealing with a family issue" sounds mentally taxing, so hopefully this nice surprise brings some relief.  It's always nice to see your work!!!
lt15

DeerMeadowFarm

tule peak timber

Yup, life is full of curve balls and I'm up to bat............

samandothers

Always struggled hitting a curve but, when I did it sure felt good!

VT_Forestry

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 28, 2017, 08:57:53 AM
Yup, life is full of curve balls and I'm up to bat............

Well, based on what I've seen, you take those curve balls and knock em out of the park
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

tule peak timber

I spent the day cleaning up the sink. I used Gorilla glue to set the sink because it adheres well to sanded metal. But it also foams up and makes a big mess . So my solution was to set the sink about 50 thousands below the wood surface then carefully flat sand the glue overflow. Next I dragged a thin hacksaw blade between the sink and the wood creating a kerf about 1/16 inch deep . Took several hours to clean out the Gorilla . So now I have a perfect outline of the metal to wood which I then filled with epoxy. There is a slight amount of epoxy overlay and a lot soaked into the end grain causing the little bit of shadow. Now here is the trick -there is an oiled sample  board in one of the pics showing the eventual color of the top next to the thin epoxy soaked transition (the kerf ). Tomorrow I sand and blend the wood to the steel seamlessly and later the final finish colorwise will  blend right into the transition .  Cheers Rob 

Thank You Sponsors!