The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Driveway Installation on a wooded property...without damaging trees  (Read 1230 times)

Offline OntarioAl

Re: Driveway Installation on a wooded property...without damaging trees
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »
Fabric for sure
We cross bogs with the stuff and run 130,000 lb. haul trucks over it
It acts like a huge snow shoe.
Like the others have said best investment you could make
Al
Al Raman

Offline reedco

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »
           Road has to be sealed on top or you will get soft spots (fines in with the rock on top) . Fabric (snow shoe best explanation I've heard) Drainage Pipes,ditches very important. Good luck!

Not many trees

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:45 pm »
I had to redo my whole driveway to cut a ditch into the uphill side.   If youre crossing a sidehill thats highest on your passenger side, you dont wanna let the water run from right to left across the road, it just keep washing fines out.  The ditch gets cut on the passenger side so that runoff from up the hill hits it and travels along your road to a suitable pooling site.  I had to swap the crown of the road so that the driver side was higher than passenger and also drain to the ditch at the uphill side.  That solved it. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 01:11:04 am »
I installed asphalt driveways for years, doing the base work as well. I'd say upwards of 75% of existing driveways were improperly installed, whether it was just putting gravel over topsoil, improper, inadequate, or non-existant drainage, burying woody debris (clearing a lot, just push all the wood and stumps in the driveway and bury them- problem solved ::) ). I had a pretty low opinion of excavating contractors in general, but in their defense, a lot of people aren't willing to pay to do the job right. Pay now, or pay more, way more, later. Get rid of all the topsoil.  Geotextile fabric isn't always necessary, but it can be cheap insurance. How mushy and wet do things get in there in the spring? If it gets real soft, if the drainage in general is poor, or if the clay soil has poor load bearing characteristics (clays can vary a lot) I'd go with the fabric. As someone else mentioned, you don't want water running across the driveway. The quicker it gets off, the less chance it has to soak in and saturate it. It sounds like the contractor you had look at it wants to do things right, be up front with him about protecting the tree roots, etc. Expect to pay more for him to spend time finessing and going around them, don't withold that info and tell him about it after he gives you his bid. I'll be honest, I've also seen a lot of people (including myself ;D) cause themselves a lot of headaches by trying to save too many trees. You will likely be compromising your drainage by having trees crowded right up to the road (you won't be able to ditch it). All that shade keeps the road from drying out, leading to more frequent potholes, requiring you to maintain it more often. My inlaws put in a long drive for a new house a few years back, I did the main drive, but they got antsy when I got busy midsummer and had the septic installer do the portion up by the house. It included most all of the mistakes I've listed here, and a few I haven't- gravel over topsoil, no thought given to drainage, every spring it turns into an impassable mudhole. Guess who gets to fix it? ::) Now I'll be going in and tearing up their established yard to make drainage, and making a real mess, to fix it. My point is, do it right the first time.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Stoneyacrefarm

• Farmer/Service manager
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:55 am »
Spot on Barbender.
Great advice.
I've done the same thing in the past.
Only to have to go back and do it the right way later on.
Do it right the first time and have no regrets later on.  8)

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:37:08 pm »
Speaking of clay soil soaking, i just spent fathers day playing around with the kids.  We succeeded in refining potters grade clay right out of the new driveway spoil dirt.  And the biggest trick is water and time.  With enough time any sized clay ball will eventually "slake" into milkshake. Even faster if stirred.

So to apply this to driveways, the amount of time water sits on them and the weight of the vehicles "stirring" them will dictate how much milkshake your yard becomes,  very simple equation.

If you are on clay you want minimal water to hit the driveway and quick shedding of whatever must.  The next half is what to the vehicles weigh and are they doing 3 point turns with lots of steering and shearing?  If so, youll need more inches of larger sizes of rock to carry the load and prevent it from being transmitted to the clay.  A quad trail needs no rock and log trucks might take 2feet, for example.

Offline peterpaul

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 06:34:36 pm »
An old time Contractor friend, a few years gone now, told me this story many times.  " A lady calls him up and chews him out.  She says the driveway he installed has a big pot hole at the end of her driveway where she turns into it off the Main Rd.  She demands that he come up immeadiatly to fix the pothole.  He drives over and takes a look.  The only pothole is at the end of her driveway.  He tells the lady, He would be glad to fix her pothole and gives her a price and she will have to pay up front.  He then explained that he had installed the driveway 17 years ago!  She turned around and headed up back up to her house in a huff. He never did fix it".
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor