iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quick question/opinion on my ms391 and extended warrenty

Started by Dflynn6089, June 15, 2017, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dflynn6089

hi guys, bought a ms391 last month and put maby an hour of run time on it. I mixed everything 50.1, cleaned it after every days worth of cutting, used non ethenal gas, and the sthil oil mix. now when I bought this saw I got the extended warrenty keep in mind. long story short yesterday my cylinder scorned and seized, took it to the shop and they said it was done. They said they would contact stihl but made me feel like I'm pretty much screwed and it wouldent be covered. Would they really leave a customer high and dry out of 650 bucks? ive had cheap chainsaws and never had an issue like this. this is my first sthil product....I own 2 stroke husky weedeater and leaf blower and use same gas never had an issue. Any info would be great!

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear that. Only warranty issue I ever had with my Sthil MS441 was the trigger wire came loose and they fixed that right away. If the dealer does not make it right (and I'd be surprised if he does not) I'd write a registered letter to the CEO of Sthil telling him exactly what you said here and offer to send the gas for inspection if he'd like to check it. If no luck there I guess you could try small claims court but I seriously doubt it will go that far.

I had an issue with my Dodge truck cancelling my lifetime powertrain warranty and I challenged them and wrote the CEO in Ann Arbor, explained the details and included dates and work order numbers and they promptly restored my warranty and apologized for the mix up.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dougand3

Wonder why 391 scored? If you bought saw at the dealer, they set it up and tuned carb too lean, it's on them. If a major air leak, it'd be on factory for poor assembly.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Jeff

Unless someone did run straight gas in it by accident. Don't rule that out, and I don't care who you are, stuff happens, and when it does, sometimes you have to face it.

Also, while I am typing, I might as well tell you here rather than sending you a formal system warning about "spamming" the forum with multiple identical topics all over the place. That is a major rule violation, and frankly, makes one think that you are posting not for any kind of help, but more in anger or retaliation for something, again, not allowed. Your other multiple posts have been removed, and please read the posting rules to avoid any future issues.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

Find a different dealer.

He didn't tune it right, most new saws come lean and need to be tuned
  He's not standing behind you.   This is on you, learn how to tune a saw, if you know how you wont run a saw that's too lean.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dflynn6089

sorry for the multi post.. thanks for all the answers fellas I really appreciate it.. ive been doing alota research and been coming across the saw not being tuned correctly / or air leaks. that's the only thing I think it can be because I truly know I did everything right. I only ran an hour on saw so I went back time and time again thinking what I could have done. yes I should learn how to adjust carb it def wouldent be a bad thing

Canadiana

The rules of this forum do create a quality forum unparalleled. Keep us infromed of the results
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Ianab

It should certainly be covered by warranty.

But the dealer may be cautious, as they will have to get a major repair like that approved by Stihl, and saws have been killed by straight gas before.

If they say "No worries, we will fix it", then they are stuck with that. (Verbal contract)

However if they say " We have to test the fuel and get an OK from Head Office", then they have an "out" in case it is actually operator error that's killed the saw.

I bet they have been caught out with this in the past, hence their caution. MS 39x series saws aren't known for prematurely dying. They might not be a "pro" saw, but they have a good reputation for reliability in their intended use, which is many years of part time farm / firewood use. So when one drops dead in such a short time, they will want to look at it closely to work out why.

Let the process run it's course, and only escalate it if they don't come though.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dflynn6089

Thx for the reply Ianab. makes me feel a bit better you do make a lot of sense

Thank You Sponsors!