iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dyes for leak detection

Started by nativewolf, June 14, 2017, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Anyone used leak detector dyes that are visible with blacklight?  My first experience was yesterday with a friend showing me how he used it to find  brake line leaks.  I tried to use it to find an intermittent leak on my Hino water cooling system today but no luck.  I've replaced a thermostat and since then can't get it to leak and I don't think it was leaking at the thermostat.   Dye kit went in this evening and ran it for 30 mins and still no leak.  I'll put a load of lumber in tomorrow evening and drive it a bit til it gets really hot.  Just curious if others have used them.

We'll see what happens when it gets hot.  Regardless it seems that it would be great for finding leaks in hydraulic lines but I don't know if the dyes work with hydraulic oil?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Theyre common for refrigeration leaks.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

So I learned.  I hear about people having trouble finding other leaks and I'm certainly having trouble with the water leak, wondered how common it is to use them.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

I first saw the dye testing doing EMD repair with MSI, seen the dye for fuel and for coolant leaks, never for hydraulic oil. Worked good if you had a cracked head or injector with a hole in the body you couldn't find, see the dye leak down inside the cylinder with the light.

Stoneyacrefarm

We use the hydraulic dye all the time.
I'll find the information and post it.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mad murdock

We just use the black light for oil leaks, shows up a bright green color.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JLeBouton

I've seen a bright orange dye used in the hyd oil on processing machines. Helps spot a leak when there is snow on the ground.

Thank You Sponsors!