iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nailer for trim work

Started by rjwoelk, June 14, 2017, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

Needing a nailer for all the trim work in the cabin. base boards, window and door trim ,any one with sugestions as make model nail size most are 1 inch up to 2.5.  Will be using 3/4 inch wrc. I see porter cable on for 199. most are in the 230 250 range.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

MrMoo

I recently bought a Porter Cable 18ga brad air nailer that I like. It is light and small and works well.

Hilltop366

I see that Canadian Tire has some on sale, there not name brand but if my experience with their roofing nailer is any indication it should be alright.

MAXIMUM 18-Gauge Brad Nailer, 2-in    $90

Last year after my Stanley roofing nailer quit so I grabbed a Maximum roofing nailer on sale and we installed over 3 pallets of shingles with it with no issues.

21incher

I have been using a porter cable DA250A 15 ga 2 1/2 inch angled one for about 20 years. It works good, but sometimes you get a extra shot when you bump it. I also use a brad nailer and pin nailer for smaller moldings.  They are all timesavers and I use the galvanized nails because they seem to have more resistance to pull out.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

I prefer a 16 or 15 ga nail for most trim and 18 ga for very light work.

Larry

You really need two guns.  One a 15 gauge for casing and baseboards.  I've had two both Senco that were perfect.  i sold my first one because it would only take up to 2" nails and the newer ones take up to 2 1/2".

The 18 gauge is needed for small stuff.  Its easier to conceal the nail hole and sometimes you can get away with using color head nails.  I've had Porter Cable, Bostich, and my latest is a Hitachi that shoots 2 1/2" nails.  I think they are all Chinese and throw away, but I've had good luck with them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

newoodguy78

I agree with Larry having two is a really good idea. Same as 21incher I always buy the galvanized nails for my trim guns mostly because I like the way they hold, but it's nice if you have to use a few outside to be prepared.
My trim guns are Senco and Hitachi and for the most part like them equally.

SlowJoeCrow

Nowadays I would consider going cordless.  I use my dewalt 18v battery powered 18 gauge nailer all the time in the wood shop.  They also make a 15 gauge and 16 gauge as well.

Kbeitz

Before you buy I would check E-bay.
Sure is some great deals there.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

I use a Porter Cable 15 ga for base, window and door trim.  Crown moulding as well.  I have a 18 ga brad nailer, also a PC, for smaller applied mouldings, and for holding small, glued on mouldings and furniture parts, I use a 23 ga pin nailer. 

You can do without the pin nailer if you're working on a cabin, but I would want both the finish and brad nailer available to do a nice job.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Al_Smith

I have a framing nailer and a roofing nailer that work great .However I've never found a finish nailer that could drive a nail through ash trim .That I had to drill first .Just bends the nails other wise .

rjwoelk

Thanks for all he information. HD had a dewalt on sale. Will see how I like it 18 g. There is a big jump between 15 .16 to 18 in price.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

21incher

You have to be careful in thick hardwood with the 18 ga. I have had them follow the grain around and come back out right next to the nailer. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SlowJoeCrow

Did you go battery powered or air?  21 is right, nails can come out in unexpected places by following the grain- like in your hand/fingers!

bluthum

After 41 years as carp and wood worker I would want a 16 gauge if I had to pick one. I very rarely want  a 15 gauge indoors but an 18 gauge is very handy. Narrow crown stapler too.

Battery power is the future but pneumatic still is the current best all around choice.

newoodguy78

bluthum, I'm curious why you don't use a 15 ga inside? Not knocking it just wondering

rjwoelk

My thoughts on going to 18 g was to keep the splitting to a min. The other, small nail less notice of the nail head.

bluthum

Why I don't use 15 ga, inside? Because it is overkill 90% of the time. Down sides are larger hole and much more expensive nails.
Not fair to say i never use 15 ga. inside but rarely.

rjwoelk

I went air. We do have a battery  framing nailer in dewalt. But did not want to spend 4 to 5 hundred on a finishing one.

Carpenter

I agree with bluthum on the 16 gauge nailer.  Although I've got a 15 gauge and an 18 gauge finish nailer.  I don't have a 16 gauge, but If I did I think I would use it a lot more than the 15.  However, for setting interior doors I'd still use the 15 gauge. 

By the way, all of my nailers are Bostitch.  I've had good success with them.  And, I bought most of them off of E-bay, some used, some new, but I found some pretty good deals on them.

WoodBurner19

I've been a carpenter for 25 yrs. I use Hitachi 18ga air nailers, hitachi pin nailer for cabinetry & bostich 15 ga for setting doors.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

sealark37

I have had good results with a Senco finish nailer and Senco brad nailer.   Regards, Clark

Bruno of NH

I have a paslode air 15g
2 airless paslode 16g and 18g
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!