iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sterilize air dried wood

Started by flatrock58, June 14, 2017, 08:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

samanadothers.  I am still planning on building a chamber, but need to finish my workshop.  I started it last summer and it has progressed slowly since I work on it by myself between other projects.  I am getting closer to having it done.

My plan is to build a 7'x7'x12' insulated chamber.  It will have two 1'x8' insulated doors that can be opened to let in the hot air from the solar collector.  then at night or when sterilizing they can be closed and the air rerouted and halogen lamps can be used for heat.  At least that is my plan.  Gene may have some input that will change that plan.   My quick crude drawing is attached.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

69bronco

Flatrock, my plan is very similar to yours. Please keep us updated, I was thinking of thermostat controlled vents that would open and close both vents. I've got part of a walk in cooler I'd like to use for chamber, just need to find a few more pieces.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The collector can be attached to the side at roughly a 45 degree angle.  The reefer wall itself should not be used.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

69bronco

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 09, 2017, 06:02:49 PM
The collector can be attached to the side at roughly a 45 degree angle.  The reefer wall itself should not be used.
Gene, would you clarify? Using reefer panels for box, not collector.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

My comment about the reefEr collector is in reply to the comment in #19.

For a kiln, we want to have very good insulation for the walls and floor.  With fiberglass, 2x6 is better than 2x4.  2x4 is ok for polystyrene insulation panels.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

farmfromkansas

went to check out a reefer trailer for sale.  The axle had been torn off, and the floor is broken and has about a 6" hump.  Wonder if driving my skidsteer on the hump would push it back down flat.  The guy will deliver the trailer, and put it down flat on the ground.  Need to get a couple chunks of hollow core concrete to put one under each end.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

YellowHammer

Kiln floors really need to be dead flat as the wood stacks will conform to them as they dry.  If it can be shimmed, that would work, but flat floors, when fully loaded, in kilns are very important. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

farmfromkansas

The hump is right in the very back of the trailer, over where the axles attached underneath. The frame pieces under the floor are bent, but only in about a 4' area.  It would have to be pushed down to allow the use of a cart to roll a stack of boards into the front of the trailer. Maybe if I scoop up a bucket of gravel, and roll the skidsteer back and forth over it,  would push it down flat. The trailer is 53' long

BigZ La

Could you block the track up and still use it. You would only lose a little head space.

farmfromkansas

Thinking about maybe cutting half way through the steel floor joists before putting the thing on the ground, so it would come down easier.  If I put a concrete chunk right under that part of the trailer, it would not be able to sag.

PA_Walnut

What are the requirements for "sterilizing" material that comes from a quarantine area? Is there specific verbiage as to what needs to be done to meet the restriction?
Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because it is difficult for many people who are inspecting or enforcing the law to determine the species and if there is a valid sterilization, the requirement is something like no wood movement if the wood has bark.  Dried lumber does not have such requirements within the US, but lumber exported does.  Exported wood requires a third party certification and each piece needs to be stamped with a ink stamp indicating certification.

PA_Walnut

OK. Thanks. So, does air-drying material with bark removed satisfy the quarantine restrictions?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Each state and region are different.

TractorBoy78

I built a foam board box and am using 4 plug in oil heaters as heat source.  Have been thru several versions.  Current one holds temp at 145 degrees F and will hold 10' length.  Have inexpensive 2 prong moisture meter, remote thermometer, and infrared thermometer.  Remote thermometer that I place in box reads same as infrared thermometer when measured.  Saw in a chart that 140 degrees would sanitize a 4" thick by 12" specific gravity wood of 35 in about 300 minutes starting at a 25% moisture content.  I am thinking 24 hours in the hot box should sterilize oak 2.5 inch slabs.  Notice variance in moisture content from Center to outside of slabs by about 7%.  Have had red oak starting at 21% moisture content in for about 24 hours.  Trying to run it to sterilize and realize less than 10% moisture content.  Am I heading in right direction?

Thank You Sponsors!