iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions Northerns always ask when thinking of a move to the South

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 13, 2017, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This was on our State Forestry Commission Employee Newspaper this month.

Questions Yankee Prospects Always Ask:

Just how big are the bugs down here?
Can the road to my house be paved?
Can alligators bite when swimming underwater?
Do grits grow on a bush or a tree?
Will my children be safe in the backyard with all the snakes you have down here?                                     Southern Business & Development
24 June 2017
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Now if I could convince about a million more to enjoy the South.   ;D  I think everyone should do that.   8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

yukon cornelius

I don't think I am really.....south, but the snake thing is real. Yesterday, as Henry (6) was flipping over rocks just like I told him not to do, he flipped one over and found a copperhead. He quickly lost his life due to acute shovel poisoning.

Our neighbors don't have goats but we do.

Our roads could be but won't be paved.

Our alligators do bite underwater because the are alligator snapping turtles.

Grits grow on the ground near sawmills.

Horseflies are huge and plentiful this year. I may even catch me a team of them to pull the van to Michigan for the pig roast. ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

paul case

Oh my you whacked your child to death for flipping rocks?

;D
I think I got it straight now.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

I'm with cfarm, I know a bunch that might do well in the South.
For me, I'll stay on the Northen side of the Mass, NH line.
I have no questions or care what goes on down there.  ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

We love taking all our Burmese Pythons for a walk/sliver in the Florida Everglades.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

coxy

Quote from: paul case on June 14, 2017, 12:50:43 AM
Oh my you whacked your child to death for flipping rocks?

;D
I think I got it straight now.

PC
:D :D

Don P

Huge, like one on each shoulder carry you away huge  :D

The DOT guy asked about paving the road years ago, they needed some more room and would straighten it some. His big selling point was "It'll increase your property value". Boy that was the wrong thing to say  :D

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on June 13, 2017, 09:07:05 PM
Now if I could convince about a million more to enjoy the South.   ;D  I think everyone should do that.   8)

So it's your fault?  A million...they passed a million as soon as air conditioning and tv were invented.  Get rid of AC and TV and they'd be back in the NE.
Liking Walnut

WDH

The best way to solve this "questions" problem is for y'all to stay up there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

I met a good ol Georgia boy a few years back while vacationing in the west.
He told me that there are yankees who stay up north and *DanG yankees who winter in the south and GD yankees who move south permanently
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

As to the bugs as a kid I heard 2 skeeters talking on my front porch Fla home. One asked the other "Should we eat him here or take him back to the swamp with us." The second skeeter replied "We better eat him here. If we take him back to the swamp the big boys will take him away from us."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Quote from: WDH on June 14, 2017, 07:34:47 AM
The best way to solve this "questions" problem is for y'all to stay up there.
I maybe wrong but didn't you fly south from the north  :) if not sorry  :D

paul case

I heard about a guy somewhere that started with a b in MS had been chased by a flock of skeeters. He took shelter in a chicken house and the skeeters landed on top and started perforating the roof with their stingers so the man found a hammer and started bradding them over and pretty quick the skeeters took off with the roof.

Just what I heard?

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

red

The way I heard it . . A flock of ducks flew in then the pond froze and they flew away with the pond . . must be the Northern Version
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Darrel

If I were to move south, would I also have three times as far east as I moved south or could I just move to Los Angels and be good?

:P :P :P
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I don't know what the perceived difference is between Oregon and Los Angeles, but I do know what it is between Los Angeles and the South.   :o   :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

I have my own question I like to ask when outsiders wander up my mile of dirt road and end up at my place;

I giv'm my best wild man look and ask, "does anybody know where you are right now"?
Just a simple question, but that usually puts them to heading back down the road faster than they came up... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

nativewolf,I don't want'em back. I'd like to clean out about a million more.  ;D  Than in the summer months a whole bunch of people come here.  ::)  Come winter time they are gone.  8) 
I live on a dead end dirt road,off from a dirt road too. Than they paved the dirt road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

We here in NY are sending you thousands every week. I had a cousin and her husband that recently moved to NC. They say that they hear constant gun shots 24 hours a day since moving in. Wonder if it is how you southerners take care of those big skeeters. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Reminds me about a preacher friend telling about traveling in the "back country" in Kentucky.  A guy stepped out, waved him down, and told him not to go any further.  I asked Bro. Reid what he did and he said that he turned around.  That he probably didn't want to see what was down that road anyway. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: WDH on June 14, 2017, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: tree-farmer on June 14, 2017, 03:53:20 PM
"does anybody know where you are right now"?

:D :D :D
My answer.... The same place  everything just east of me was a little bit ago.

PC
pc

Sixacresand

A guy from Germany who was Visiting middle Georgia on company business sent an email asking if he needed to rent a four wheel drive vehicle at the Atlanta airport to get to our plant. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!