iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalting Book

Started by wesdor, June 13, 2017, 07:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

About three years ago a friend who cuts lots of firewood brought me a rather large hackberry log that was heavily spalted.  We sawed it into some very nice boards and everyone shared in the bounty.
This led me to begin research (internet) on how spalting occurs and if it could be artificially encouraged.  My searching eventually led me to Dr. Seri Robinson at Oregon State University department of Forestry.  From what I can tell, she must be the world's leading expert in spalting and has recently released a book that I received just this afternoon.  I may not get any sleep tonight and probably should not even be spending the time to post this comment, but I felt like I should share this with all of you who might be interested in how to spalt wood.  The book can be found at Amazon but I thought it best not to include a link (this is NOT a sales pitch).

First impression regarding, "Spalted Wood". Measuring about 9x12 and nearly 300 pages I can only say that I am awed.

The photography alone is worth the price of the book, but it doesn't stop there. Here is a quick overview of the contents (taken from the Introduction):
Chap 1 & 2 - in depth look at what is spalting including microscopic examination.
Chap 3 - 7 - How European masters have used spalted wood that they found to create a variety of materials in the past.
Chap 8 & 9 - the journey for scientific understanding of spalting
Chap 10 - a serious look at modern uses of spalted wood
Chap 11 - an overview (with many details) of scientific methods to create spalting

The 5 appendices are full of information that every wood worker will find useful.

Detailed notes from every chapter are included, a glossary of terms, an exhaustive bibliography and finally an index to the entire book.

If you don't have this book yet and are interested in woodworing, you should put in on your list of "must haves".

Thanks to all the authors (3) and the many others that contributed to the book.

low_48

She dedicated that book to a good friend of mine, David Bloom. He was her industrial arts teacher in Bloomington, IL. You're right, a wonderful book!

scsmith42

Just ordered a copy - thx.

Btw - here name is Sara, not Seri
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

fishpharmer

Thanks for sharing Wesdor!  I look forward to getting my own copy. :P
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!