iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by millwright, June 13, 2017, 07:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

When sawing a customers logs and making stickers as you go, how do you guys usually charge for them.  Thanks

Sixacresand

I don't charge for stickers.  Even though they are milled from scrap wood, they do require substantial work: cutting to length, handling and stacking.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

petefrom bearswamp

No charge for stickers here.
If it is a very large order I ask if they will bring them back.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

millwright

I haven't been charging for them at all, and I  guess I won't start

kelLOGg

I don't charge either but sometimes I wish I would. One customer returns them after the lumber has dried.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Millwright,

If I cut his stickers our of his edgings or even a scrap log at the start of the job I have not been charging.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Most of what I cut for stickers comes from edging the one inch boards!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

back when I sawed, I at first never charged for stickers, then jobs got bigger, I had to make a few changes, it really boils down to board feet sawn, and time.  I never stuck a dagger in anyone, and never had complaints.  My last big job was 20,000 bd/ft, well this amounts to quite a few stickers and time stacking, if you get a job like this you may reconsider your pricing practices.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but what would have been different if you cut 2,000 bf each for 10 customers?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I grab a short log of theirs and cut it into 1" , Flip and cut 1". Whole log stickers.
Then cut in ½, .35 a bf on the first 1" flip and cut for free. Unless I have a lot to do, then .35x2.
;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I first explain to the customer that stickers are an investment and will pay for them selves down the road.

SAVE THEM!

Stickers are not Tomato stacks and they are not fire starters. They are an investment for producing dry straight lumber.
Usually they pick a log they want for stickers. I know I am actually sawing that log twice but I only charge them as if I was sawing lumber.

Sometimes they want me to give them my dry stickers....nope....15 cents a foot.

My method works great for me.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

I charge the same $0.35/bf for stickers that I charge for lumber.  Sometimes for my neighbors that live nearby I will cut on shares, then I get my share of stickers.  Everybody has been happy so far. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

I do that every once in a while, Peter!

It really gets it done and over with, quick!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 13, 2017, 07:53:44 PM
   Yeah but what would have been different if you cut 2,000 bf each for 10 customers?
If this was meant for me WV, then I need to back up a little. the original post was asking about sawing the customers logs, and in this case as Poston mentioned, I asked what their plans are first. If it is going to be stacked for any period of time at all it all should be stickered.   Often times land owners dont know how much can be sawn from any given log.  Not sure about other folks that saw, but what I did was scale the logs, review the desired cut list and make decisions on saw pattern from this.  Many times it gets tight in satisfying the required list with the logs available.  And the edging of flitches dont always yield a very good quality of sticks, so for this reason I kept a pile of precut sticks to be used, and sold at a price that has been discussed with the customer.  Hope this clears up my position.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I have never charged for sawing stickers, even if/when an entire log is sawn into stickers.  Providing stickers is a selling point for me when I am discussing a potential job with a potential customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I see different approaches to how stickers are cut and charged for or not mentioned in this thread.  As I see it, the most important thing is that the customer knows right from the get go how it's going down.  Customers don't like surprises.

Edit:  Magic, I like the idea of using stickers as a selling point.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

Drobertson,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I was reading this as sawing stickers for the customer out of his logs. I concur it is right to charge for them if you are selling your own pre-cut stickers. Actually not wrong to charge for cutting his as mentioned above as long as you are clear to the customer up front about it.
Howard Green

Tom the Sawyer

Probably slightly off topic, but...

Seems like I had always heard that the primary considerations for stickers was that they were of consistent thickness, and dry.  I know it is probably convenient to mill them from the client's logs but, a year or so down the road, do you get any feedback about mold or sticker stain from stacking wet wood on wet wood?  I have seen sticker stain on boards that were stickered with freshly milled stickers, and have tried to plane it out, seldom with good results.   ???   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Larry

Tom, I very carefully explain to my customer using green sticks has many drawbacks, especially with hardwood.  Some just don't care or are too cheap to obtain dry sticks.  I will saw a full log of sticks for them, no charge.  They have to cut to length.  Hardly ever saw sticks out of edgings as that is too time consuming.

I sometimes offer an option if I have plenty of dry sticks and like the customer.  I rent at 35 cents a stick.  When they bring them back I refund the rent.  Most of the time they don't bring em back.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I very seldom saw lumber for woodworkers, etc. where it matters.  90%+ of my sawing is framing, siding, and other "general purpose" lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FalconFan

I was thinking the same thing.  Magicman makes a good point though.

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 14, 2017, 12:18:25 PM

Seems like I had always heard that the primary considerations for stickers was that they were of consistent thickness, and dry.  I know it is probably convenient to mill them from the client's logs but, a year or so down the road, do you get any feedback about mold or sticker stain from stacking wet wood on wet wood?  I have seen sticker stain on boards that were stickered with freshly milled stickers, and have tried to plane it out, seldom with good results.   ???

Ianab

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 14, 2017, 12:18:25 PM

There are basically 3 scenarios.

1 - Some wood isn't prone to staining. I can sticker our local cypress and cedar on green stickers, and it comes out fine.
2 - Many end uses don't matter. Construction lumber for example. It's a cosmetic issue, that's never going to be seen.
3 - You do end up with sticker stain, which is a problem as it usually goes some depth into the wood, and wont always plane out.

So if you are sawing a species you know is prone to staining, maple maybe?, and you know they want to use it for some sort of wood working, then it needs to be dry stickers. Scenario 1 and 2, you can saw stickers from edgings or low grade logs as you go.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

The Poplar and White Oak 1X12's that I sawed yesterday will all be used for barn siding lumber.  Only the cows will know.   ;D

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on June 14, 2017, 05:33:39 PM
Only the cows will know.   ;D

And all complaints must be made in writing.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Cows can be sensitive  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!