The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Stickers  (Read 1533 times)

Offline FalconFan

Re: Stickers
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
I was thinking the same thing.  Magicman makes a good point though.

Probably slightly off topic, but...

Seems like I had always heard that the primary considerations for stickers was that they were of consistent thickness, and dry.  I know it is probably convenient to mill them from the client's logs but, a year or so down the road, do you get any feedback about mold or sticker stain from stacking wet wood on wet wood?  I have seen sticker stain on boards that were stickered with freshly milled stickers, and have tried to plane it out, seldom with good results.   ???

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 05:26:49 pm »
Probably slightly off topic, but...

Seems like I had always heard that the primary considerations for stickers was that they were of consistent thickness, and dry.  I know it is probably convenient to mill them from the client's logs but, a year or so down the road, do you get any feedback about mold or sticker stain from stacking wet wood on wet wood?  I have seen sticker stain on boards that were stickered with freshly milled stickers, and have tried to plane it out, seldom with good results.   ???

There are basically 3 scenarios.

1 - Some wood isn't prone to staining. I can sticker our local cypress and cedar on green stickers, and it comes out fine.
2 - Many end uses don't matter. Construction lumber for example. It's a cosmetic issue, that's never going to be seen.
3 - You do end up with sticker stain, which is a problem as it usually goes some depth into the wood, and wont always plane out.

So if you are sawing a species you know is prone to staining, maple maybe?, and you know they want to use it for some sort of wood working, then it needs to be dry stickers. Scenario 1 and 2, you can saw stickers from edgings or low grade logs as you go.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 05:33:39 pm »
The Poplar and White Oak 1X12's that I sawed yesterday will all be used for barn siding lumber.  Only the cows will know.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 07:00:11 pm »
Only the cows will know.   ;D

And all complaints must be made in writing.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »
Cows can be sensitive  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:57 pm »

Yes, cows can be very sensitive!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 09:41:41 pm »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Yes, cows can be very sensitive!

Reminds me of the horses in Ocala Fl
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Farm29

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:27 pm »
I had a few ? On stacking lumber to air dry not sure if this is the right topic for this question but ?
When I stack 4/4 I put sticker between the layers but put the boards tight together in each layer which I assume is correct but if I were to stack let's say 8/4 or even 16/4 should I leave air gap between each board ?  If I would cut a bunch of 4 by 4 post should it in a sense be stickers in the verticle and horizontal direction and at what thickness should you worry about mold or mildew between boards?  And how do you all feel about using cottonwood for stickers sorry to drag on with questions

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 06:26:09 am »
Maybe that cow has sticker shock!
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:04 pm »

When I stack 4/4 I put sticker between the layers but put the boards tight together in each layer which I assume is correct but if I were to stack let's say 8/4 or even 16/4 should I leave air gap between each board ?  If I would cut a bunch of 4 by 4 post should it in a sense be stickers in the verticle and horizontal direction and at what thickness should you worry about mold or mildew between boards?  And how do you all feel about using cottonwood for stickers sorry to drag on with questions

I always leave a space between the boards, no matter if I am stacking 3/4" boards or 4 x 12 beams.  In theory I would like to leave the air space directly above or below each other , but that seldom works out, as I usually have a variety of board widths together.  If you stack the edges tight, at least here in the south in the summer, you will get moldy lumber on the edges as a result.  I have never used cottonwood for stickers.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.