The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Stickers  (Read 1534 times)

Offline millwright

Stickers
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:44:24 am »
When sawing a customers logs and making stickers as you go, how do you guys usually charge for them.  Thanks

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
Re: Stickers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:07 am »
I don't charge for stickers.  Even though they are milled from scrap wood, they do require substantial work: cutting to length, handling and stacking.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:53:53 am »
No charge for stickers here.
If it is a very large order I ask if they will bring them back.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline millwright

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:30:00 pm »
I haven't been charging for them at all, and I  guess I won't start

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning more than I'm teaching
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:39:56 pm »
I don't charge either but sometimes I wish I would. One customer returns them after the lumber has dried.
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, tandem trailer, log arches, trailer, tractor, hammer

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:10 pm »
Millwright,

If I cut his stickers our of his edgings or even a scrap log at the start of the job I have not been charging.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »
Most of what I cut for stickers comes from edging the one inch boards!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:55 pm »
back when I sawed, I at first never charged for stickers, then jobs got bigger, I had to make a few changes, it really boils down to board feet sawn, and time.  I never stuck a dagger in anyone, and never had complaints.  My last big job was 20,000 bd/ft, well this amounts to quite a few stickers and time stacking, if you get a job like this you may reconsider your pricing practices.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 07:53:44 pm »
   Yeah but what would have been different if you cut 2,000 bf each for 10 customers?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
I grab a short log of theirs and cut it into 1" , Flip and cut 1". Whole log stickers.
Then cut in , .35 a bf on the first 1" flip and cut for free. Unless I have a lot to do, then .35x2.
 ;D

2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:51 pm »
I first explain to the customer that stickers are an investment and will pay for them selves down the road.

SAVE THEM!

Stickers are not Tomato stacks and they are not fire starters. They are an investment for producing dry straight lumber.
Usually they pick a log they want for stickers. I know I am actually sawing that log twice but I only charge them as if I was sawing lumber.

Sometimes they want me to give them my dry stickers....nope....15 cents a foot.

My method works great for me.
I'm thinking......

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:28:23 pm »
I charge the same $0.35/bf for stickers that I charge for lumber.  Sometimes for my neighbors that live nearby I will cut on shares, then I get my share of stickers.  Everybody has been happy so far. 
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:48 am »
I do that every once in a while, Peter!

It really gets it done and over with, quick!   ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:21 am »
   Yeah but what would have been different if you cut 2,000 bf each for 10 customers?
If this was meant for me WV, then I need to back up a little. the original post was asking about sawing the customers logs, and in this case as Poston mentioned, I asked what their plans are first. If it is going to be stacked for any period of time at all it all should be stickered.   Often times land owners dont know how much can be sawn from any given log.  Not sure about other folks that saw, but what I did was scale the logs, review the desired cut list and make decisions on saw pattern from this.  Many times it gets tight in satisfying the required list with the logs available.  And the edging of flitches dont always yield a very good quality of sticks, so for this reason I kept a pile of precut sticks to be used, and sold at a price that has been discussed with the customer.  Hope this clears up my position.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:18 am »
I have never charged for sawing stickers, even if/when an entire log is sawn into stickers.  Providing stickers is a selling point for me when I am discussing a potential job with a potential customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 09:18:23 am »
I see different approaches to how stickers are cut and charged for or not mentioned in this thread.  As I see it, the most important thing is that the customer knows right from the get go how it's going down.  Customers don't like surprises.

Edit:  Magic, I like the idea of using stickers as a selling point.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 09:41:46 am »
Drobertson,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I was reading this as sawing stickers for the customer out of his logs. I concur it is right to charge for them if you are selling your own pre-cut stickers. Actually not wrong to charge for cutting his as mentioned above as long as you are clear to the customer up front about it.
Howard Green

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »
Probably slightly off topic, but...

Seems like I had always heard that the primary considerations for stickers was that they were of consistent thickness, and dry.  I know it is probably convenient to mill them from the client's logs but, a year or so down the road, do you get any feedback about mold or sticker stain from stacking wet wood on wet wood?  I have seen sticker stain on boards that were stickered with freshly milled stickers, and have tried to plane it out, seldom with good results.   ???   
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »
Tom, I very carefully explain to my customer using green sticks has many drawbacks, especially with hardwood.  Some just don't care or are too cheap to obtain dry sticks.  I will saw a full log of sticks for them, no charge.  They have to cut to length.  Hardly ever saw sticks out of edgings as that is too time consuming.

I sometimes offer an option if I have plenty of dry sticks and like the customer.  I rent at 35 cents a stick.  When they bring them back I refund the rent.  Most of the time they don't bring em back.

Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »
I very seldom saw lumber for woodworkers, etc. where it matters.  90%+ of my sawing is framing, siding, and other "general purpose" lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman