iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas Powered Pole Saw

Started by wng-2, June 12, 2017, 04:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wng-2

I'm looking to buy a high quality gas powered pole saw. While I'm not a professional, I do have a 2000' driveway, and property that just keeps encroaching in on me. Would appreciate recommendations for a professional model. Essentially, I want the highest reaching and most durable. Thanks very much.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

Raider Bill

I've had a Stihl for years. It only gets used a few times a year but has worked flawlessly.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I have an old Echo.  I don't remember how long it is but extended out it gets heavy so put your "big boy" britches on.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Savannahdan

I also have an Echo.  I think it has an 11' reach with 1 extension.  Yes, its heavy.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

samandothers

I like my echo and can use weed eater head, brush head or pole saw with or with extension and yes it is a handful with extension.

gspren

I have a Stihl Kombi setup with pole saw, hedge trimmer, weed eater, blower and one extension, very handy to use one expensive motor and get multiple uses. Like others said it gets heavy so I do as much as possible without the extension.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

I have a Husky which works OK, but is is mean to run for long periods of time.
I about killed a young friend, 19 yrs old 240 pound high school football lineman who pruned my 600 or so red oak saplings about 4 yrs ago.
Any of them that have a straight bar will bind in the cut  at full extension on larger branches.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TKehl

I'm a diehard Stihl fan and have 6 of their chainsaws.

With that said, I have an Oregon battery powered pole saw and love it.  My weedeater gets used infrequently enough that the gas goes stale, maintenance, etc..  Figured it would be the same with a polesaw, so I went electric.  If you get two batteries, the second charges before the first is used up.

It doesn't like anything bigger than 3" though.  Usually not a big deal for me. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

CTYank

I've run a Tanaka tps-260pf for 3.5 yrs now, 8' LOA w/2' extension. Works well w/18" A041 bar in oak and with a Granberg Clip-N-Trim on a 12" bar for whacking multiflora rose tangles. I've managed to slowly wear out (3) 10" chains on it. Too bad it's NLA. Recently, preserve where I volunteer got a Husqvarna 525p5s, 134" LOA, 2-piece shaft. That gets used for the higher-up cuts.
Both of these have weight under control, engines that perform well, and can work long & hard.

Land trust I volunteer with had a fixed-shaft stihl, can't remember model- likely ht 102. Mostly plastic, down on power relative to the above, broke in half pretty easily next to engine (not by me). Rear grip was rubber covering on outer shaft- allowed whole machine to torque noticeably on revving engine.

That Tanaka still behaves like new. If it ever went away, I'd look first for another. Fellow volunteer who's used a variety of stihl polesaws says he really likes the relatively light weight of the Tanaka's aluminum outer shaft relative to stihl's he's used. Pound or so makes a big difference before long.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

I've used the Stihl trimmer with the shaft which works great .I've also attempted to straighten the shafts on several that got dropped and bent .Partly successful .
My own personal use is with an inexpensive Poulan with a flex shaft .It isn't the most powerful thing but it gets the job done . I have a 500 foot tree lined drive way that gets a prune about twice a year .

wng-2

Well, I was at a power equipment store yesterday. The wife and I pulled the trigger on a zero turn mower. I asked about pole saws. I bought a Stihl HT 103. Haven't tried it yet. Hopefully it will suit my needs. Thanks for the replies.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

DelawhereJoe

Another thing to remember is not to try to cut a branch off in one felled swoop, unless its a small branch and the saw can cut through it before it folds over on itself. It should be a 3 cut process and shouldn't pinch the bar, just Google pruning cut
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

petefrom bearswamp

Gotcha Joe,
My young friend just cut straight thru and some of the larger branches folded over and stripped some bark
Lesson learned.
I assume the 3 step method you advise  is to cut from below a little then above out from the stem first than cut the stub close to the stem?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

It will also fold over and pinch the bar/chain.  You are in a mess then.   :-\  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I have found also that on the highest branches with a straight blade you cut thru sideways and it binds.
does anyone make a saw with an adjustable blade?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

annia

I know about Remington RM2599 pole saw. The saw is great. It is very easy to start & easy to use. The price was fair & shipping very quick. Works quite well, 1 pull start. Works as well as a lot of pole saws that cost 5 times as much. I love the 2-year warranty. Overall I would recommend it.

Annia Palmer

Thank You Sponsors!