iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln build

Started by Kbeitz, June 11, 2017, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 18, 2017, 09:16:59 PM
That looks sharp!

Of course it does. It's pointed at the top.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

That came out really nice.  I too like the latch.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kbeitz

I'm now doing the wiring. The tar mix is all but dry. Only a few spots that
is still sticky to the touch. I had 188F with it all closed up yesterday.
I got fans coming from E-bay... My store for almost everything.
Today I bought 130 lbs of #14, 12 and 10-2/G wire for the kiln and my shop
from the kunkyard. It all looks in great shape. I got if for $1.00 per lb.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

K, you and I should have built our kilns during the cooler season.  :)
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I am still concerned about the lack of vents on the rear wall.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on July 22, 2017, 11:13:00 PM
I am still concerned about the lack of vents on the rear wall.

My rear wall has a vent at the top.

My plane is 4 fans. Top vent fans in.
The two side vents fan out.
One large inside fan to keep everything moving.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Today in this hot weather I dug a 25 foot 2 feet deep ditch to my kiln
for the electric... Fun fun... But hey... I got it finished...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

So, the air comes in, goes through the collector along with other air in the kiln and then the air goes out the side vents before it goes through the lumber pile?  This is my concern.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

I'm sure I will loose some air but .... What would you do ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 23, 2017, 06:05:31 PM
That just doesn't seem like all that big a deal....     from inside my air conditioned trac hoe...  :-)
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 24, 2017, 07:15:41 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on July 23, 2017, 06:05:31 PM
That just doesn't seem like all that big a deal....     from inside my air conditioned trac hoe...  :-)

My problem was that the ditch was 99% rock. So I could not just scoop it back in.
I had to shovel dirt on top of the conduit until covered and hand pick the bigger
rocks and lay them so it would not damage the conduit. Then I could finish up with
the tractor. Hot hot hot.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 24, 2017, 08:05:03 AM
My problem was that the ditch was 99% rock. So I could not just scoop it back in.
I had to shovel dirt on top of the conduit until covered and hand pick the bigger
rocks and lay them so it would not damage the conduit. Then I could finish up with
the tractor. Hot hot hot.
I can relate...

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

50 Acre Jim

You guys got nothin...  :-)  The ground here was so rocky I had to haul sand in from the other side of the property.  Uphill.  Both directions.   

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Kbeitz

We have the rocks...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

Roofing material, just layin' around in the ground.  Free for the taking.
HM126

thecfarm

I don't really see any rocks.
ljohnsaw had A rock. Now my place would have about 6-7 that size and about 40 more smaller ones than that.
Kbeitz,looks like your will at least break up for ya.  ;D Not many flat ones around here
50 Arce Jim,now that looks like what I have.
The only trench I dug was for the outdoor furnace lines. I hauled off what I dug out and put in sand.
I was dumb enough to have a trench dug down to the garden for a water line.  ::)  Why I did not just bury it a few inches deep,hindsight in 20/20. It's all down hill,I just drain it each year.I am surprised the line is still good. I just backfilled with what was dug out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on July 24, 2017, 09:25:02 PM
I don't really see any rocks.
ljohnsaw had A rock. Now my place would have about 6-7 that size and about 40 more smaller ones than that.
Kbeitz,looks like your will at least break up for ya.  ;D Not many flat ones around here
50 Arce Jim,now that looks like what I have.
The only trench I dug was for the outdoor furnace lines. I hauled off what I dug out and put in sand.
I was dumb enough to have a trench dug down to the garden for a water line.  ::)  Why I did not just bury it a few inches deep,hindsight in 20/20. It's all down hill,I just drain it each year.I am surprised the line is still good. I just backfilled with what was dug out.

Well, there is a bigger rock at the bottom of the picture that I couldn't move at all.  What you don't see is further up the hill on both sides of the "road" are rocks that size that the backhoe guy managed to pull out of the trench.  Ok, here are some "rocks" I had to deal with when making my footings:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Can you run a duct from the side vent to the rear of the lumber stack so you get the air after it has gone through the pile?

Kbeitz

Sleepless night... So I worked up my fan control.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Rocks and a solar Kiln.  :D
When he dug for my foundation alot got buried on the sunroom side. Than I had to call in the dynamite guys in to do some blasting for me. He was doing good until he got to the bedroom.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

I got the underground electrical run and got the fans in.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

Ready for liftoff? 

HM126

Kbeitz

I got my controller built today. If the rain holds off I will have my first load of wood in tomorrow.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

That's quite the controller Kb. 

What are you going to run for your first load?  Green or air dried?
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!