iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

13 speed

Started by coxy, June 11, 2017, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can i unhook the red splitter button till I get use to the shifting I keep hitting it with my hand coming from the top shelf to the lower shelf and wont let it drop down with out stopping and starting over ::) >:(   there should be 2-3 pounds of filings in the bottom of the tranny by now  :)I know some of you are going to laugh so ill do it for you  :D :D :D :D   

treeslayer2003

lol there ya go i am laughing with ya. what type shifter do you have? three way? two way on top with a splitter like a 10? or the late model puppy paw with a three way on the contoured knob? neither should go in OD on the low side. just drive it like a 10 and flip it to OD in high gear only till ya get the hang of splitting the high gears.

coxy

your asking me  ??? :)  the trouble I have is my thumb hits it when I'm trying to go from hi side to the low side and it wont let it go in  and its to late when I figure out what the hell I did and have to stop and start over  >:(  its 10 with a splitter    If I remember right I think my dad called it a thumb splitter  you can only split 8-9-10th right  I have no trouble shifting the other 13 with a straight shifter stick this thing is bent forward and a little left

longtime lurker

Dont worry you arent the only one who gets caught sometimes with that in a 13 speed. I've worked mostly 15's and...force of habit but when I really need to do some fancy gearwork on a big bad hill I got a habit of going straight out the top box to the deep reduction and... its a 13 and it dont work that way. :D

Just make sure the splitter is in direct (L) before you head for the bottom box. Should be simple huh but yeah.... you and me both brother.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

treeslayer2003

can split any gear on the high side but i think most skip 6.
the late model shifter won't let you do that since there is only one slider.

Dave Shepard

13 is a nine with splits on the high side. When you come out of fifth,  you go into second on the high side, right? Second being to the right of reverse. At least that's how the 13s I drove worked.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gearbox

Low in the high side is the same gear as 5th . In a hard pull or on a corner I have used the gear that is not there . Has worked for me .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

woodmaker

We always called that unmarked gear "cheater gear", for the same reason as you stated
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

barbender

I used the "cheater gear" all the time. I've run mostly 18 speeds, a few 13's. The few 13's I drove are a 9 that you can split the top side, and I think the Hi/Lo is blocked from going into Lo if the splitter isn't in direct. I love 18 and 13 speed trannies, especially 18's for off-road use. They will often save your bacon in tricky situations. I've drove a lot of 9 speed trannies, put a lot of time on the venerable "8LL" seems to be the gearbox of choice for end dumps, especially with low horsepower engines where you could use a few more gears. Once I got in a woods truck with an 18 it was hard to go back.
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

I may try putting tape around it for now and try it  got to love us wanta be truck drivers  ya now :) :)

mike_belben

You will wreck that splitter gear fast if you arent using it right, or if theres a problem in any of the air valving and you just chalk it up to being a noob.  If the pilot lines are pincued or have crushed ferrules the main control valve wont shuttle fast enough and youll "miss" a lot of splits.  Where the gear is being forced against its mate and just grinding away until you just about stop. 

Its real hard to remember when youre starting out, but you have to post select some splits and preselect others.  Do you have a jake or exhaust brake?
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

how old is this trans? an old 9513??the one i have docent shift as well as the newer ones. perselect from lo to the hi side then shift same going down. when down shifting i put my left foot on the brake. just a little then give it a little. helps it come out of gear. when splitting run it up to 2100 slide the button let off for a sec then back on. if it has a jake shut it off or double clutch it or slide the clutch a little. push it some not all the way. with my volvo i have to let off enought for the rpm to come down but not enought for the engine brake to come on. it didnt take long to get used to it except if i have different boots on i have to learn all over again

coxy

snowstorm its in a 85 gmc brigg with a 671   no jake or exhaust brake good truck to learn on  :) I'm not having trouble splitting but when I'm in hi and want to come to lo for some reason I'm hitting the splitter button with my thumb  and it wont come to the lo side and by the time I figure out what the hell I did its to late and have to start over  like I said I'm a wanta be truck driver ill figure it when the gears are in the bottom tranny  and then ill put a straight 6 speed in it  8)

mike_belben

Tell your thumb to stop being a moron. And never part with a 13spd.
Praise The Lord

barbender

Coxy, if you think you're frustrated now, a six speed behind a 671 would make this seem like heaven :D

snowstorm

an old 671 you have one of the easiest trucks to learn on. you really do. because the rpm will rise and fall quicker than a cummins or cat. as much as you dont want to hear it a 13sp is the ideal trans for that motor. when i started i had a 5 an a 4. you will get it just keep trying.... where nobody can hear. are you saying down from od to direct? or to the lo side?before down shifting let the rpm fall to 1500 or so dont be afraid to use your left foot on the brake to load the drive line

mike_belben

Not having an engine or exh brake is the hardest part ive heard so far.  The best concept i can pass along is that the button doesnt trigger the split, the slack in your driveline does.  Without being able to load the gears with a jake, you have no method to trigger the slack thatll shift the splitter perfect every time, except the throttle.  Thats easy for accelerating but funky to learn for decel.

I run an oooold RTOO9513 i had rebuilt before swapping behind my dt466, and id be screwed without the splitter.  It allows me to run heavy (for a 466 anyway) on all the biggest interstate hills of appalacian range without lugging or being on the governor.  I can keep the EGTs down to 900f and just letter breathe easy.
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

I ran an 8-71 with a 13. You could knock it into first from a standstill without stepping on the clutch.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

what kind of oil goes in there 80-90 or mineral oil 

snowstorm

90 weight gear oil is fine. On the newer trans 50 w synthic. As far as a Jake helping wrong.not when you are learning. There are no scyrnos in that trans except in the range box or rear section. Whatever you want to call it.

barbender

I always use my left foot on the brakes, unless i actually need to use the clutch. Also, I usually pop the transmission into nuetral when splitting, too (move splitter, move shifter into N, and then shift back into the hole). I find that shifts faster, also, a lot of times in off road driving, I would miss a gear when when splitting. You're in a hurry to get on the throttle, but if the engine didn't come down enough it goes into a nuetral. Then you don't make it up that icy hill you were trying to build steam for👎 If you move the shifter into nuetral, the split will always go because you've unloaded the driveline. If that all makes sense :D Dave, I heard of an old Detroit powered rig like that around here. I can see it working, especially if you have one of those really lopey Detroits- "Rummmm, rummmm, rummm" :D

snowstorm

If that Detroit is looping it's. Time to adjust the buffer screw

mike_belben

Engine wont slow fast enough for a quick shift on the low side? Blip the jake.

Need to split down? Jake on, split down, jake off.

Nothing "wrong" about it. Works perfect.

Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

No loping, just pull it gently back into first and off you go.  :D

Oliver05262

I think you need to stay away from 80-90 EP gear oil; use 90 straight mineral oil or the newer 50 weight transmission oil. I was told that the sulphur additive in the extreme pressure gear oils would react with the bronze synchronizer rings in the range section.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!