iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small seat from offcuts

Started by Ianab, June 11, 2017, 05:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Needed a little seat for a friend, to put in front of the fire and sit on while lighting it. You know the idea if you have a small wood burner.

So I get some assorted off cuts. Some 2x1 etc. Some nice dry Eucalyptus that's been in the shed for years. It's the sort of wood that's gives eucalyptus a bad name. Warps, checks, gum streaks, honeycomb etc, So it's a matter of sorting out what you can from it. But once you get the good bits, it's probably comparable to Live Oak?

Some planing and it looks better. One piece was warped to heck, but as I only needs shorts I cut it up and planed the shorts.

Then cut the seat profile on the band saw.

And a plan starts to come together.

The legs are glued up laminations, so no need to cut a tenon.

See how it's going to work

Easy to cut the mortise in the centre lamination, and the tenon is exactly the same thickness as the mortise.

Check I have enough slats for the top.

Now glue up the seat rails, with the mortises already in place.

Trial fit

And with the cross stringers in place.

Then the slats can be screwed on from the top.

And a couple of coats of poly to smarten it up.

Over-engineered? Possibly.

Going to fail? Not in this lifetime  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Savannahdan

Nice and it look just right for the bum.  Thanks for sharing.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

thecfarm

Nice. I could almost do something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Very nice.
Great use for some scraps.
In my ignorance I would have burned them to warm my shop
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

newoodguy78

Nice clean strong design I like it.
At that bargain price put me in for a few  :) :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!