iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What toy did you have as a kid - companion to What's your Day Job

Started by Ljohnsaw, June 10, 2017, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furu

I actually still have some green stamps in a upstairs drawer that never got used.   
Wonder what ever happened to the program.  Think it went away while I was overseas back in the 80's

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Found it with a little google searching. They were Gold Bond. My mom and grand mother collected both.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ljohnsaw

I remember sticking the Blue Chip stamps in books and looking at the catalog of what you could get.   There were the little stamps and the big (5x? ones).  What were they, $1 and $5 spent?  Back then, my Mom had about $25 a week to feed a family of 9! Don't remember anything good in the catalog (for a kid).  We had a few of the Green stamps but never enough to fill a book.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

petefrom bearswamp

What a great trip down memory lane.
Had a knock off of an erector set called a build o , a small chemistry set and an electric train set but I cant remember what make.
All shared with my brother.
My favorite experiment with the chem set was burning sulphur much to moms displeasure.
3 square meals a day, clothes on our backs and a bed to sleep in with my brother.
Got TV in 53, telephone the next year when I was a  senior.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

I recall one wind-up toy when I was 5, otherwise I learned to make my own toys. Dad wisely allowed complete access to his meager tool box with 2 enforced rules. Put the tool back when done and don't touch his supply of new nails. We built trucks, forts, tree houses, anything small boys could dream up. The nearby city trash dump was a treasure trove of supplies. Today, my siblings and I still build whatever we need or want, just a bit more sophisticated than the small boy stuff, but we do have better tools. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

Piney,

That reminded me my 2 brothers and I built what we called our shack out of boards and nails we got from Dad's monument business. The granite had complete or partial crates we'd dismantle. We even got an old wood heater from somewhere we put in there. We had a hatchet we acquired from somewhere and would cut small trees and limbs for heater wood. I remember we cut a 6-8 inch oak one time and the grapevines held it up at about a 45 degree angle so my older brother handed me the hatchet and told me to climb up there and cut them down. I did. He forgot to mention what was going to happen when I cut that last one. It was a pretty interesting ride for a few seconds there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

There was this sapling Doug fir that my older brother and I climbed up as high as we could and got the thing to swinging back and forth as hard as we could.  We were probably up about 10' from the ground and the poor thing broke off just below our feet. The ride down was fun, hanging on to that tree top for dear life, I landed on top of him.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Grizzly

Glad to see I wasn't the only little brother that got snookered by the older ones. But it's ok, I got even.  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Grizzly

Not much of one Darrel. I'm the youngest of 5 children 2 of whom were older brothers. Their 10 & 7 years older but the oldest one hardly knew me. The other was learning wrestling in high school and learned that gullible me was a good monkey to test and learn on. I suffered for some years and then one day after he'd gotten me in some kind of scissor hold where I couldn't breathe anymore I wondered about my way outta this one. Well I just held out........he waited and waited for me to say "uncle" but I held out. He got kinda panicky when my face started to go blue and he decided I could be the winner!! So I found a way even if I was the little target. I also worked for a time packing drywall and my body took on quite a muscle bound appearance with some healthy weight gain. All my brothers and BIL found out they couldn't push me anymore. Didn't even want to arm wrestle. That was the best get even ever!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Kbeitz

You all might get a laugh out of this. I still have my pedal car from years ago.
In the first picture is the pedal car when it was my cousins.  After that it was
passed on to my older brother. After everyone was done beating the tar out of
it then it was mine. Years later it ended up in the farm dump. I found it in the
weeds and put it in the barn where it sat for many years. The wheels was rusted
off and it was in bad shape. One day I though I better do something with it or
it will end up back in the trash. I ended up putting a 4hp Briggs engine under the
hood. Now I take it to car shows.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don_Papenburg

Wow that is a fancy car.  I got a red 400 farmall for my birthday as a young lad.  still have it .  One of the best toys I got was not a toy nor mine , but I was home the day my dad got his Forney welder.  It came out of the old Chevy step van of Ralph Rinkenburger He made a living selling to farmers all over Illinois .  He gave me a helmet with a stick to hold it for watching the welding .  Anyway in a few years my dad had me welding stuff for him .   I always asked for a truck for Christmas whenI was little before I was in  school . Ended up with 7 trucks in my fleet . I got a couple for my birthday also .  Still have all but my first one .  they all have a lot of miles on them and all need recaps.
My Godparents got me American Bricks for my birthday .  I built and toredown thousands of brick buildings before I was in third grade.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kbeitz

This is a picture of me and my dad. Also in the picture you can see the same pedal
car as I got it after everyone else was done with it. No wheels. No steering wheel.
Guessing the picture was taken around 55 years ago.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!