iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheeled harvesters?

Started by gman98, June 09, 2017, 06:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

What is everyone running for machines and heads in the northern states?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

wannaergo

Ponsse ergo 8w with an H8 head. We cut a steady diet of hardwood.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Riwaka

Can you please (if you know) provide some idea of the tree dimensions you are cutting with the wheeled machines?  e.g average 22 inch base tree diameter cut, average top cut at 80-90 feet etc.   

allaboutsawdust

I have a 6wd Rottne with an older 750 Logmax head. Generally our wood is 10"-24" and can at times have some pretty nasty limbs. We also tackle some pretty steep and rough terrain and the machine handles it well.
A father son cut to length team with a '00 rottne smv harvester,  and a 2010 rottne smv forwarder, '74 664 clark ranger skidder.

1270d

Ponsse scorpion king with h7 harvester head.   It handles wood up to about 20 inches very well and up to about 27 inches with a little extra effort.  Our timber is usually 60 to 70 ft tall.  Some of the bigger pine and Aspen can approach 100.

We cut 70/30 hardwood/softwood

chevytaHOE5674

Ran a Ponsse Ergo 6w with H7 head, cutting 90% hardwood. Tree size ranged from 6" all the way up to 30" with some nasty limbs.

1270d

chevytaHOE5674

Not no more (thread about it in the business section of the forum). Ain't running nothing for nobody at the moment. Tried working for somebody else running a different machine but after a few days of being a mechanic and trying to fix the machine with nothing more than an adjustable wrench, screw driver, and a pipe wrench I said to heck with that and walked off the job.

lopet

Those are all my favorite  tools, but don't forget the hammer.  ;D

Seriously, sorry to hear it didn't work out.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

wannaergo

I thought the only tools needed were duct tape and WD-40? If it moves and it's not supposed to, the duck tape, and if it doesn't move and it's supposed to, then WD-40
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Thank You Sponsors!