iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixed my tractor problem update

Started by Bruno of NH, June 09, 2017, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

submarinesailor

Which one of the Mahindra's is it?  Also, how did you get hydraulic power to the grapple?

Darrel

Looks like a half way decent fix.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Bruno of NH

It's the 3500 series platform
The grapple runs off the rear remotes but I have a kit coming to make run off the loader controls with a switch.
I had them take that set up off my old tractor
I didn't want to spend the money right now but the parts for my tractor are 3 weeks out and renting was hurting my pocket book.
I have a lot of orders to saw out.
It had a good rebate and 7 year warranty .

4x4American

So didja trade in on this or did you go to a different dealer? 
Boy, back in my day..

21incher

Congratulations. One less thing to worry about. 8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

I traded it in
The dealer was a Massey dealer but changed to Mahindra 4 years ago
I got the log grapple to move logs around the yard
I don't know how it will work to load logs on the mill
I will find out in the morning

Bruno of NH

I also got some thing else but didn't get a pic yet
Will get pics and start another post

cutterboy

WOW! Nice looking tractor. I know what it's like when the tractor goes down. There is so much you can't do and every thing else takes twice as long.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Davek603

Congrats! I thought about a grapple but I move stacks of lumber, slabs and what have you as much as logs. Swapping back and forth so much didn't seem worth the hassle.
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

bandmiller2

The trick is a fella needs more than one tractor. All of mine are old but they will still do the same days work as when new. Machines have advanced but the logs are still the same critters, what worked 50 years ago works today. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bruno of NH

I will mostly use the forks because of that reason but wanted a grapple to move brush and rocks around my property .
I will use the grapple to stack logs in the log yard when the logs aren't use for my bar/table slabs don't want to pick holes in them

thecfarm

Can I borrow your rock grapple?  :D
How many hp is that. Good for you.
I really need a skidder with a grapple to get rid of the big ones.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 09, 2017, 08:52:12 PM
The trick is a fella needs more than one tractor. All of mine are old but they will still do the same days work as when new. Machines have advanced but the logs are still the same critters, what worked 50 years ago works today. Frank C.

I think the trick is a Cat with IT...I don't have to get outta the cab to switch from forks to bucket, but, if I got a log grapple, I would have to get out to connect the hoses.  Either way I'm lazy and I like the IT big time  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Well, now, nothing like stepping up to the plate.
smiley_clapping smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup good the tractor is fixed, now you can cut wood.And when you get hot you can cool off in the cab. :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

4x4 I would have liked a full size backhoe but couldn't do it right now .
Cfarm any time on the grapple
4x4 I will get the quick plate with hydraulic pins for the same reason as you
I like the cab to much / not getting out to lock the pins :)

Bruno of NH

Cfarm it's a 50 hp badged as a 40 some thing to do with emissions, I was told
They told me to run it flat out because of the emissions

Bruno of NH

I love making sawdust and selling lumber and without my tractor that wasn't happening fast enough for me that why I spent the money.
I'm building a good little milling business and didn't want to lose my momentum at it .

bandmiller2

A friend of mine has a Mahindra and loves it says its a heavy simple tractor, also uses a grapple. Myself I had a grapple but prefer forks. Grapple was handy for picking logs off a trailer though. Frank C.

78NHTFY

Bruno
Looks like your "Red and Rockin'" now!!  Good for you.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Bruno of NH

I never learnt mechanics so fixing my old tractor my self was out of the question
I can build almost any kind of structure and I'm good at interior trim work.
I wish I was learned some mechanic skill I envy those that can

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Bruno,  I have the 3550 HST without the cap. 

Like so many things, it has it's pro's and conn's. 

paul case

Nice new set up there. I wish we were closer. I would have been able to loan you one til you got yours fixed. ;)

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 09, 2017, 09:27:12 PM
I never learnt mechanics so fixing my old tractor my self was out of the question
I can build almost any kind of structure and I'm good at interior trim work.
I wish I was learned some mechanic skill I envy those that can

And vicey versy...that's why there are people out there making a living doing what they do best.  I can do welding and mechanic work, but I've been hiring out a good chunk of it because I gotta keep the saws fed.  And I hear ya on the full size backhoe but we probably are in them for similar $ but then again I got some repairs to do to the ole girl, happens when you get something with 4000 hrs on it, have enough repairs to do to it, cat quoted me at 10 g's to fix it if murphy got in there,,, but they'll finance it over 2 or 3 years, gotta fill out the app yet, what da hell . we'll never get out of this world alive
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Brother Bruno don't fret about your mechanical abilities for its a two edged sword. If your a mechanic you always end up with old cast offs and rarely get anything new. Frank C.

ladylake

Nice grapple that will work great for logs, now you need a dedicated fork machine like a rough terrain forklift or front end loader or skid steer.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bruno of NH

Used the new tractor and grapple to load hemlock on the mill today .
I liked the grapple for loading the mill better than I thought .
I didn't need the forks today
I just stacked and stickered the order on my mill saw horses and will load it with straps when the customer comes to get it.
He's been here before

Magicman

Congratulations on your "fix".  Now remember Rule #1:  Don't lend it out!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

You are right MM
I need to learn the word no some times

newoodguy78

Now that's the way to fix that problem  8)

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2017, 07:23:27 PM
Congratulations on your "fix".  Now remember Rule #1:  Don't lend it out!!!

That's a fact! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

If I need to barrow a tractor, I also barrow the operator.
1992 LT40HD

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Darrel on June 11, 2017, 11:06:11 AM
If I need to barrow a tractor, I also barrow the operator.
That's what i was doing :)
I never got in the skid steer i paid the guy to work with me
He was great help though

Bruno of NH

Well I put about 10 hours on the new tractor so I thought a give a review of it so far.
It can lift a lot more than my last tractor and has power to spare.
It seams to use more fuel but with the emission stuff you have to run it with your foot in it.
I have stayed away from the brand when I bought my last 2 tractors because of the fit and finish but this tractor is on par with all the others even has an air ride seat :)
If you don't own a grapple get one !!

Peter Drouin

Good to hear it's working out. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

samandothers

Grapples are great!  Best tool I have.

4x4American

I need to get a grapple for sure.  The forks are ok but a grapple I could see being far superior.  What grapple do you have the frost bite?  I gotta see if they make one for the Cat IT attachment
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

4x4 it's a Sundown looks like a frost bite
It's made in Europe but comes out of Mass
It's great for moving logs
It looks like any plate will mount on it

Bruno of NH

4x4 here is some pics of my grapple
I was at a welding shop in Claremont NH last month and they where building a custom mount for a Fransgard grapple it has a bigger opening than mine or the frost bite a guy in VT sells them

4x4American

Ahh I see how it works so pretty much they sell the grapple and you make your own mount? I think I would break that one in short order lol the mounts on the cat are like 1.5" steel, I'll have to grab a picture of it sometime if I can merember
Boy, back in my day..

crowhill

Nice looking set-up! The right tools sure help and that grapple looks like the right tool! Way to go Bruno!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Crusarius

Anybody ever try using a set of forks with a grapple? is it best of both worlds? or always in the way?

4x4American

Here is the mount I'd need for a grapple.

Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

4x4 google the Fransgard grapple it would be heavy enough for your kind of mount.
The welding shop I seen it at was making a mount similar to yours
They are known for that kind of work

Crusarius

4x4 that would be pretty easy to make a grapple for that. could even be a bolt on unit.

Use the main arms for the pivot and mount a single ram in the center.

Let me at it :)

4x4American

Yea I could do it but I'm swamped with sawmill work I aint got time fo dat.  Save more $ by paying someone to do it.  What I was originally saying was that the one he posted didnt look like it would hold up to my abuse lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Forks, a bucket and grapple can be handy.

Forks good for problem log.  :D :D.

Firewood.
I say get what you can, to make the job easier. You will get more wood cut.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I like that kinda grapple too peter.  I'm prolly not gonna be getting one anytime soon but I definitely think i will in the future.  Could save alot of time and aggravation.  Especially handling rough scraggwood
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

I have 33 hours on the Mahindra now been working on my road and building some pad sites around the mill.
They are closing a pit up the road from me and I got a great price on fill and 3/8 hard pack so the yards getting an update.
I'm very impressed with the Mahindra but it does burn a lot of fuel  but has lots of power .

Magicman

Fixing up like that, you must be expecting company. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2017, 03:17:32 PM
Fixing up like that, you must be expecting company.

We only straighten up for the preacher.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Goat man I think you straigten up for the police too seeig as how they seem to frequent your sawmill down there in new harlem sc lol
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

:o  Where is my Travel Atlas?   move_it

WDH

If you go see the Goat, you might get fleas. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I would be more concerned about going to jail.   :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2017, 08:18:15 PM
I would be more concerned about going to jail.   :o

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

4x4American

I would be worried about getting fleeced by his friendly neighbors lol
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!