iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean mold b4 or after

Started by Bigc1989, June 08, 2017, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

I got mold on one stack of my lumber should i clean the mold off and then kiln dry it or kiln dry it and then clean it up? Or it doesnt matter? ??? Thanks in advance!

scsmith42

Quote from: Bigc1989 on June 08, 2017, 03:36:12 PM
I got mold on one stack of my lumber should i clean the mold off and then kiln dry it or kiln dry it and then clean it up? Or it doesnt matter? ??? Thanks in advance!

Personally I leave it in place.  The kiln will kill the mold spores and the jointer/planer will remove it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

Let the machines do the work.  Kiln dry it, sterilize, then plane and edge. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bigc1989

Good enough for me. Sounds good. Thanks!

low_48

I'm not a fan of the idea of filling my shop, my lungs, and dust collector with mold spores. I'd mix up a mildly diluted household bleach mixture and spray it on with a garden sprayer now.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Although you might kill the mold now by using a fungicide, the spores that have been created will still be there.  Further, if conditions are ok for future mold growth, the mold can come back unless the fungicide has a long life or time of activity.

In general, adding liquid water (with or without a chemical in the water) to the wood with a species like oak, and even in hard maple, when the wood is partly dried will make any checks a lot worse...the instant swelling of the surface when wetted will pull the checks deeper

Mold and mildew fungi grow only on the surface of wood as there is no food for the fungi inside the wood.  So, it is correct that light planing or even brushing will eliminate the fungi after drying.  Also, it is true that the kiln heat over 133 F will kill them as effectively as a fungicide.  The heat will also kill the spore, so the residue after drying is not an issue, other than dust of any type, including wood dust, can be unpleasant to many people.  In fact the fungi residue is easy to remove after drying with a stiff brush without water.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Bigc1989

Thanks for the options and explanation i appreciate it.

Thank You Sponsors!