iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whole Shop Stationary Dust Collector

Started by SlowJoeCrow, June 08, 2017, 09:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowJoeCrow

Well, I ordered a 3hp blower assembly from TimberKing/Woodmaster and it should arrive today.  My goal is to build/assemble a stationary cyclone dc for my 24 x 48 woodshop. I very quickly outgrew my little Jet DC-1100 dc.  It has been a great little dc but I am growing weary of moving it from machine to machine and I don't think it has enough muscle to perform well in a stationary setup for my needs.  My plan is to couple the Woodmaster blower with the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL and a filter kit from Oneida as well.  I just picked up a nice heavy wall plastic barrel for the chip container.

I am going to plumb the outlet of the blower so that I can vent outside in warm weather and switch to using the filter assembly in the wintertime.  I would love to blow chips and all outside, but my shop location doesn't enable that.  Building/assembling the unit myself instead of buying a complete cyclone unit from Oneida will save a minimum of $500, which will go a long ways buying ducting and fittings.  I plan on using Oneida for all the ducting - the 6" 26ga snaplock stuff.  That's my plan anyway, I will keep this post up to date with my progress.

1938farmall

I have 4 barrels like yours that just fit inside of a 4'x4'x8'h. box in a corner of my shop.  the chips are blown in the side of the box about 1' from the top & a 6" pipe goes out the top of the box, thru a wall, and into a filter bag in the garage.  the box acts like a cyclone.  with a 3hp blower it will handle a 15" planer & 8" jointer at the same time - and it's cheap :)
aka oldnorskie

SlowJoeCrow

Well the blower arrived today, but it didn't fair well through the shipping process.  The box was beat to heck and the cord was damaged from the rough shipping.   No big deal but I will talk to them tomorrow about it.

Here are some pictures of the blower itself.  I am impressed, it is quite heavy duty and weighs 130+ lbs. Cast aluminum impeller and housing.

The only thing that I see is the pipe flanges could have been a little longer, but they will work as is.  The flanges are roughly 1" long.  I powered it up briefly out of curiosity... this thing will suck the silly of out Sesame Street!!!  I am pleased so far and I think for the price it is a real bargain.

Just Me

I have a unit of that HP and I blow outside.  A word of caution with an aluminum blower. Be very careful about what gets sucked up there as they can break. I use mine for cleanup so I now have a steel unit.

SlowJoeCrow

I appreciate the words of wisdom and will remember that.

21incher

That is a nice blower. With the aluminum blower and steel ducts you won't have to run all the pesky ground wires like I needed in my plastic pipe setup. Can't wait to see it all together. You going to go with the auto blast gates? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

YellowHammer

I've got a 5hp Timberking. It's a good machine. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SlowJoeCrow

Which auto blast gates would you recommend?  I wasn't planning on using automatic ones but you never know.

Yellowhammer, I have seen favorable things said from you and Bibbyman here on the forum - that helped convince me to buy this one.

My next step is to compile a parts list of ducting and fittings and get it ordered from Oneida.

DDW_OR

following.

i plan to make one setup for my 16x32 shop, and sawmill and firewood processor.
"let the machines do the work"

Delawhere Jack

I've got the little Dust Deputy and it works great. The collection barrel MUST be air tight. If there is any leakage of air, dust gets sucked past the cyclone. I'm using a blue plastic barrel similar to yours, but mine has a lid that is pressed on over a barbed lip on the drum, and has the locking ring. It was used for ground up jalapeno peppers for a big chain restaurant. I made a rubber gasket, plywood re-enforcing collar, and used RTV sealant to mount the cyclone on the lid. I can fill the barrel from the tablesaw or the planer and only have a half cup or so of dust in the shopvac.

YellowHammer

Quote from: DDW_OR on June 10, 2017, 01:39:05 PM
following.

i plan to make one setup for my 16x32 shop, and sawmill and firewood processor.
I've got the one 5 hp serving my mill, the planer, the straight line rip saw and the chop saw.  Wr can run the outside sawmill and the inside shop tools concurrently, no problems.

I have the dust collector mounted outside under the roof eaves, up against the joists, to get it out of the way, kept from having piping major elevation changes, and so I don't have to listen to it from inside the shop. 

I blow straight into a dump truck, and even though we outsource a majority of our planing, between short run planing jobs, and all the other tools, we fill up this dump truck about every week or two, depending.

I know it's difficult, but setting the dust collection unit outside of the shop, either filling bags, bins, whatever, will guarantee that the shop will be virtually dust free.  Even setting a cyclone just on the other side of the wall, such as under an awning, will make things quieter and cleaner. The Timberkings come with a remotely wired switch to facilitate this, as shown in SJC's picture, to facilitate easy remote mounting.

BTW, to keep the dust exiting the pipe under control, I used an old dust collector bag, slit open the bottom, and tied it around the duct.  It greatly enhances the accuracy of the blowing dust. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DDW_OR

I donot want to hijack SlowJoeCrow's thread, so i will say that i get a LOT of rain here in Oregon
so far for the month of June we have over one inch of rain

i like the idea of not having the collection motor inside the shop

DDW_OR

For routing the piping i see two ways.
first is from under the floor to the tools that are not near the walls
the second is from the ceiling to the tools that are not near the walls.

I am thinking of under the floor. have the dust port near the electrical outlet for the table saw.

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on June 11, 2017, 08:27:11 PM
I've got the little Dust Deputy and it works great. The collection barrel MUST be air tight. If there is any leakage of air, dust gets sucked past the cyclone. I'm using a blue plastic barrel similar to yours, but mine has a lid that is pressed on over a barbed lip on the drum, and has the locking ring. It was used for ground up jalapeno peppers for a big chain restaurant. I made a rubber gasket, plywood re-enforcing collar, and used RTV sealant to mount the cyclone on the lid. I can fill the barrel from the tablesaw or the planer and only have a half cup or so of dust in the shopvac.

Yes, sounds like our barrels are similar if not the same.  The one I have had food-grade glue in it, I just had to wash it out.  The lid is a press fit into the top with a rubber gasket and the band clamp tensions it together.

SlowJoeCrow

Yellowhammer, great point about getting the blower outside the shop and keeping the on/off switch close at hand.  On my unit it is just 14/3 wire from the mag switch to the motor, I imagine on the 5 hp it would be 12/3 or heavier.  If you need should need a longer distance, simply swap out longer wire.

I have debated where to put my collector and how to run my ducting for quite a while.  My shop is the top floor of a 2 story building setup just like a bank barn.  The bottom floor is in the ground on three sides with garage doors going out to a driveway on the walkout side.  The top floor has a ground entrance on the opposite side of the shop.  Here is a picture describing it:

Ideally the collector should be downstairs with all the mains running in the downstairs ceiling, popping up through the floor for the tools.

BUT, my shop is very much so a work in progress, meaning that I don't have a finalized floor plan and I am kinda afraid to go punching holes in the floor knowing that I may end up moving things around.  So, for now, I will put the collector upstairs in the corner of the shop and run my ducting overhead.  That way I can get up and running reasonably fast, and  when I plan on moving things downstairs/outside, I can take the ducting down and reuse everything.  More work in the end, but like I said, I don't have my machine layout perfected yet.

21incher

I can't recommend one but if I had extra money to waste the ivac setup on the infinitytools.com site looks real slick. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SlowJoeCrow

I mentioned that there was some damage to the blower caused by shipping.  I notified Woodmaster about this yesterday around noon.  In less than 24 hours I had replacement parts on my doorstep. So far my entire experience with Woodmaster has been very positive.  Today I placed an order with Oneida that will enable me to complete the cyclone unit.

SlowJoeCrow

Well, here is a quick update... my order came in a while ago from Oneida and it is still sitting in the garage where the UPS man put it.  Lately I have been busy with many other things that have needed my attention around the house and farm.  But I will eventually be getting back to this project and will update as I go.

SlowJoeCrow

Well, I have been slowly working on my dust collection system.  I was going to mount the system in the wood shop and I did mount the blower and filter assembly and then overnight I changed my mind and decided to mount it in the shop garage below the woodshop.  I wasn't happy with the setup that I had mounted and decided to start over before I got any farther.  The motor/blower assembly is heavy and I wasn't looking forward to taking it down just to put back up again.  But that is how life goes sometimes.

Here is the blower and filter stack mounted in the new and final (I hope) location.

I needed to rotate the blower housing on the motor for the correct orientation for my setup.  The cast housing is in two pieces and bolted together.  Take it apart, pull the impeller off the motor shaft and then you can get to the four bolts holding the housing to the motor.  So this housing can be rotated in 90 degree increments.  Got that done before I mounted it to the wall. 

Next is the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL cyclone.  With some gentle heat on the plastic flange, it was a press-fit on the the cast aluminum blower housing flange. Nice.

I made a simple wall bracket to stabilize and support the bottom of the cyclone and you can see a flanged fitting on the bottom of the bracket that will lead to the dust collection barrels.

You can also see that I had to notch a floor joist for the motor to fit... of course I didn't see this until I had the assembly lifted up and ready to bolt in... yeah had to set it down again and cut the joist.  I mounted it so high for several reasons, one to get as much vertical space as possible for the collection barrels and two so that I could lag bold the mounting bracket directly into the wood sill above the block.  Before I started any of this, I needed to relocate some existing electrical boxes and wiring, that is what that older fuse box is.  I will be running this on it's own 20 amp 230v circuit.

SlowJoeCrow

Here I have all the pipe in and sealed from the blower to the filter and the intake pipe in and going up into the woodshop on the second floor.  I also have the wye on the bottom of the cyclone - I am going to use two of the blue drums instead of one for more holding capacity.

It is a shame I had to block the window with the piping, but I have very specific space constraints to work with and the window was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I still need to run the wiring, put the pipe flanges on the barrel lids and connect with flex hose, and run all the ducting up in the wood shop.  All the pipe you see here is 6" diameter for reference.

samandothers

SlowJoeCrow

Last night I wired the 230v circuit to run the collector.  This motor comes with a magnetic switch - I am going to put that up in the woodshop but in order to do that I needed to put a longer cord from the motor to the switch.  I quit last night right in the middle of that, hopefully I can finish that tonight and power it up.

SlowJoeCrow

No pics but wiring is completed and I powered up the blower with no issues last night.  It starts up smoothly and quickly.  I'm glad I put it downstairs, that sucker is loud.  However I don't have my barrels or any machines hooked up yet so no testing of the cyclone.  I do think it will be a bit quieter with everything hooked up properly, time will tell I guess.

SlowJoeCrow

Here is a picture of the collector completely assembled and all sealed up, pardon the old tractor in the way!  It is much quieter when the barrels are attached which is good and it isn't loud at all from the wood shop which is above this garage.

I really wish I had a good way of measuring the cfm of this system so I can compare it to my old Jet DC1100.  I can tell that the cyclone pulls more air, but I'm not sure how much more.  It will be way better, since the it will never lose suction and my woodchip capacity went from a small bag to 2 55 gallon barrels.  I am curious if one barrel will fill up faster than the other or if they will fill at the same rate.  Does anyone have a dual drum setup like mine?  Do they fill up evenly?

I am now working on the ducting up in the woodshop.  I needed to come up with a better machine layout as I wasn't happy with the way everything currently was laid out.  A lot of head scratching and lots of moving machines around but I finally got a layout that I like and I can process 12' boards with it.  I have started to run the 6" mains but I have a lot of work to do and I need to order more pipe and fittings.

Stay tuned...

Larry

Running a planer will fill both drums in 30 minutes or so.  You might investigate getting a proximity sensor to wire to a warning light upstairs.  Cleaning the filter out is no fun.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!