iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vidalia Onions

Started by Chuck White, June 08, 2017, 06:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Anyone got anything special that they do with Vidalia Onions?

I get them at the grocery and enjoy them sliced raw on burgers and sometimes just a slice by itself!

I've found that they don't really make a good "cooking onion", because they are not very strong or hot!

Hard to believe that we can get them here, cheaper than they go for in Georgia!

Bought two 4-pound bags a couple days ago for $2.99/bag!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

I like to cut a little cone in the top of the peeled, whole onion.  Put some butter and a little soy sauce in the recess where the cone was removed.  Wrap in foil.  Bake in oven. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

My grandfather used to get them shipped up here in the '80's when they were a novelty. I would cut a half inch slice and put it on a hard roll with some mayo. Now they are everywhere, but about half the size they used to be.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

I like them bout anyway you can fix them, baked, stir fry,  hamburgers, fact is its a trip to the store if I run out, I will often times just look at them to make sure I still have some,  that and fresh garlic, its a gotta have thing, just about forgot, fried with tater chunks and peppers for what I call deer camp taters, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

I wrap them in foil with potatoes, butter and garlic then on the grill with steak or pork chops. There just isn't anything better.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Dave, I remember when a Vidalia slice would cover a slice of bread!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Me too Chuck, they are much smaller here too, but still good
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

We still get the big ones  :).  Maybe the smaller ones ship and store better for the long trek up North. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

here too,  the last two were nearly softball size,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

petefrom bearswamp

Wish I could get em here that big
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

21incher

We got a bag of real big ones at COSTCO last week. I like them with everything. My favorite is cut thick slices and hold them together with a wooden skewer. Find a couple of big portabella mushroom caps ( about 4 inch diameter ). Grill them over hot coals and place on a grilled potato roll with a little sweet baby rays. Better then a grilled burger.  digin_2
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Woodhauler

My dad ate a onion sandwich atleast 4 times a week. He used Vidalia when he could get them. One slice about half inch thick, slice of cheese and mustard !
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

petefrom bearswamp

You guys are making me yearn for one
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

21; That sounds like a good thing to try!   digin_2

Raider Bill

Had one yesterday, butter, bacon grease and garlic wrapped in foil sat in the back of the grill while I grilled some thick cut chops.
DELISH!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

I've got quite a few onions left, I'll have to try that, Bill!   digin_2

Claybraker

Grilled or baked whole with butter in the top, and a bouillon cube.

21incher

Quote from: Chuck White on June 10, 2017, 07:53:57 AM
21; That sounds like a good thing to try!   digin_2
Made a samwich tonight with grilled vidalia, grilled portabella with fresh mozzerala melted on it placed on a grilled potato roll. Found some 1/2 sour pickles and red,white, & blue chips at costco to go with it. That was great. 
;D

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Chuck White

Looks good, 21!   digin_2

Farmerjw

Cooking with aluminum foil is being found to contribute to alzheimer's (sp?). 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Raider Bill

Quote from: Farmerjw on June 14, 2017, 03:15:57 PM
Cooking with aluminum foil is being found to contribute to alzheimer's (sp?).

I too have read about that. One thing I read mentioned, drinking from cans, eating Rolaids and using aluminum pots and pans.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

On this last topic, My mom cooked with aluminum pots and frying  pans ll my young life.
This was also a topic in the 90's.
But neither my dad nor me or my 2 brothers have any symptoms so far.
Dad died just short of 89 not from Alzheimer's .
Mom at 81
My moms sister and her mother also had Alzheimer's
But I' m still going to eat em any way I can.
Heading to my Adirondack camp tomorrow morning for the week end and will tak e the last one from our stash.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Pete, I have some EXTRA if you'd like some, let me know!

When you're at the camp, we're only about 5-6 miles apart!

Weekend_Sawyer

I thought I had already replied to this, Ah well, maybe too much aluminum!

My mother used to say it isn't I true Vidalia onion unless its grown within 20 miles of Vidalia.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!