iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleigh Bells and Brass

Started by Jeff, December 18, 2004, 07:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just received a truly great gift for the holidays. Paschale, I am listening to 3 king swing for the 3rd time now!

Paschale has sent me a C.D. of Christmas music recorded by the Brass Band of Battle Creek that he played with for almost ten years. What an awesome group. I wish you all could all hear it.

For those of you that may not know it, Dan is a member of the Grand Rapids Symphony, which is his full time job as a trombonist.

Thank you Dan, Tammy and I will enjoy your music through out the holidays and  share it with our family and friends at our Christmas gatherings. :)

I don't know if this C.D,. is available for sale, but if it is, I sure recommend it to the forum members. Its very special to know that as I listen to this, that one of our own is part of the group.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Bailey

Not only do you get to listen to some fine music,but knowing someone who contributed to the overall experience makes it that much more  8).  

Hey Jeff, are those your logging sleds behind the horses?
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Paschale

Hey Jeff, glad I got the address right!   ;)  Hope you enjoy it.  Probably not nearly as much as I enjoy the forum, so thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Here's a link to the BBBC's homepage, btw.  I'm on the first five of those CD's.  Maybe I should bring some along for some door prizes at the next Piggy Roast.   ;D  Only 232 days left!   8)

http://www.bbbc.net/pages_main/bbbccds.htm

Oh, and y'all can listen a little bit too, if you want, at this link.

http://www.bbbc.net/pages_main/listeningpost.htm
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Well, hooda thunkit. ???  No wonder Paschale don't like grits. Can you imagine digging the grits outta yer spit valve? :D

Seriously, I love symphonic music. Is there a website for the Grand Rapids Symphony?  I love watching performances on tv, and trying to imagine what the members would be like when they aren't playing. Now I can try to guess how many of'em have sawmills. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chet

Paschale,
One of dem CD's would have made a great 6th prize in da Christmass Contest.  ;D
Are those CD,s still available for sale? We have about wore out Manheim Steamroller.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Norm

That's cool Paschale, you folks always amaze me with your talents. :)

I remember the first time I ever heard a full orchestra live. Very impressive. 8)

Wife

Hey if I make it from down to the next piggy roast under do I automatically qualifiy for one of them CD's for a door prize.
 ;) Hope that everyone has a fun and safe Christmas and i look forward to seeing ya all next year. Next time i see Bush I'll tell him what fine ambassadors of your country you guys are.
I'll have a cold one for you guys on the beach. ;D
Chris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

beenthere

If we went to the beach now, ours would be cold too.

Merry Christmas to all around, over, or under there.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

If we go to the beach now it would be FROZE over , all purty and white ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kevin_H.

Way cool, Takes me back to high school, our band leader always had us playing big band toons...

Paschale, You Rock... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Corley5

That's pretty  8) 8)  A professional trombonist in our midst :) :) ;D ;D  A truly multi-talented group 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paschale

Well, DanG, there is a website for the GRSO...you can check it out here:  http://grsymphony.org/

We're in the middle of our big Christmas concert weekend, and we wrap things up next Tuesday with LeAnn Rimes.  

As far as who in any orchestra might have a sawmill--it's probably going to be a trombonist.   ;D  My two buddies on trombone are both woodworkers, and the bass bone guy has an Alaskan Mill.  My other colleague does great detail work--meticulous as all get out.  Trombonists are most likely the guys who are going to be woodworkers, or do things with their hands.  We all studied with the same guy, and he's an amazing knife maker--apprenticed with one of the best in the business.  I know of other trombonists who are woodworkers.  It's kind of funny, but you can sort of predict the personality of people a little bit by the instrument they play.  It's highly unlikely that an oboe player's going to own a sawmill!   ;D

Oh, and I think you can buy those CD's on the website that I posted above.  I wish I got them for free, and then I'd just hand em out!

Percy

Heya Paschale
Your comment about trombonists involved in woodwork  has merit for me  in a twisted way ;D. Im a guitarist but in the early 80's I studied theory from a professional trombonist named Ted Taylor. I think he may have passed on but was an excellent teacher. He didnt do woodwork but he taught me :D and Im involved ...heh
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brad_S.

Don't dismiss the baritone players. That's what I was waaaaay back in high school.

Paschale,
Can you explain something to me? As a former baritone player, I thought the baritone and euphonium were one in the same, but I see on the credits that's not so. What's the dif?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Paschale

Hey Brad,

Cool--I play baritone/euphonium too.  They're pretty much the same thing.  This band is what they call a British brass band, so they follow the British tradition in their instrumentation.  With British bands, the baritone and euphonium really aredifferent instruments, but mainly just in the size.  The baritones have a smaller bore, and have a more "zingy" sound than the euphoniums.  Still in the same key though, and same range, but the bore is a lot smaller on the baritones than euphoniums.   In America, the distinction is really with the direction of the bells.  On a euphonium, the bell goes straight up, whereas on a baritone, the bell angles out towards the front.  The weird thing about those brass bands is the tenor horn, which is a really small euphonium-shaped instrument.  They take the place of french horn, and are really kind of bizarre instruments, never used at all in the U.S. except in this type of setting.  It's a pretty cool sound though when you hear a brass band.  And LOUD!   ;D

Fla._Deadheader

:-[ I youster play that French Horn, and the Mellowphone??. That's an upright mini Tuba lookin thing ??  Man, That was 100 years ago, in jr. High.

Took up Huntin and Fishin, it was easier AND more fun. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brad_S.

Thanks for the clarification, Paschale. I do remember the bell distinction now that you say that.

Way back when, I was literally a 98 lb. weakling, and lugging that baritone case down the isle of a school bus was all I could handle. Really envied the flute players, but I don't suppose too many of them own sawmills now. ;D

FDH, glad to hear from you. I too enjoy your posts immensly.
French horn players always looked uncomfortable to me. They always sat bolt upright with a clenched fist shoved into the bell!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

That was all that was available, until the guy with the Mellophone quit. At least that looked a little impressive.

A full fledged member of a Symphony Orchestra, huh???  Waaayyy cool Paschale. 8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paschale

Quote Took up Huntin and Fishin, it was easier AND more fun. ;D

Well, there's no doubt that huntin' and fishin' is fun, but for me, playing trombone in an orchestra's one of the funnest things I could ever imagine doing, and I feel like a lucky man when I go to work.   :P There's nothing better than the feeling you get when you're playing a piece by one of your favorite composers, like Mahler, Tschaikovsky, Beethoven or Shostakovich...and you're getting close to the climactic finale.  Composers always save the climactic moments for the trombones, because we're the loudest instruments in the orchestra.   ;D And when you're onstage, and all the fiddles are sawing away, and the music is building to this huge crescendo, you know your big moment is about to happen, and then we come in, barreling away, full tilt, burying the rest of the orchestra, racing away to the big finish and the last chord of a piece.  Your sides hurt because you're moving so much air, and you give it all you've got until the music cuts off, and you hear the ring of that last note bouncing back at you from the back of the auditorium, followed by the crowd rushing to their feet and applauding...well, it just don't get much more fun than that.   :D  It's a rush that is pretty cool!   :P

Though making sawdust is pretty fun too.   ;)

Jeff

Jeez, Dan, ya almost made me wanna stand up. :D

Tammy and I might have to come see you play live.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

I was thinking about going on Tues. to see LeAnn... I mean Dan. ;) But I can't.

UNCLEBUCK

Thats quite a honor Paschale , I love to listen to symphony music I cant explain it but when I listen to it when I am making a long non stop trip across michigans beautiful u.p. it just takes me to another world .Looking at all the big timber and listening to good music. It instantly takes any stress away to hear it . My favorite is the Coplan Classics . I crank it up when I cross the Mackinaw bridge and I put my windows down and take a deep breath of the big water below . I really get into it ! Now I will think of you tooting away ! Very cool !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Paschale

Hey there Jeff, come on down anytime!   ;D  It's especially fun in the summertime.  We have a summer pops series outdoors.  People bring lawn chairs, and picnic baskets and stuff and have a good ole time.  I'm serious too--I'd be happy to hook you guys up with some tickets.  We could have a Forestry Forum night at the symphony!  Any of you FFers who wanna come to a concert, give me a holler!   ;D  Except for LeAnn Rimes, Furby...we never get tickets to the really cool stuff.   :-/

That's cool Uncle Buck--I can totally relate to listening to some great music and seeing some great country.   ;D  And I do the same thing when I go over the bridge--doesn't matter how cold it is, those windows come down.  It's the best air on earth, at the top of that bridge!  

Engineer

More than a few instrument players in our midst.  I'm probably the least musikal in my fambly - french horn, trumpet and piano in jr. high, but nothing since.  Oldest son plays sax, next oldest plays trumpet, wife used to play clarinet, mother-in-law was a good pianist, mom played the drums, and brother almost went pro after four years at Berklee College of Music in Boston, studying performance in saxophone.

Best I kin do now is listen.

Minnesota_boy

I've never played an instrument, never had the opportunity when younger and no coordiantion now, but son played cello and french horn.  Daughter playes trumpet.  Wife can't keep her triangle in tune.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

I worked at it for many years, and can now play the radio. :-/  I come from a family of artists. My Dad, and all my siblings paint and sculpt, and my Mom is a pianist. I inherited my Mom's talent for painting, and Dad's talent for music.

Paschale, I have a technical question. What is the difference between a Symphonic orchestra and a Philharmonic?  Are they just different names for the same thing, or is the make-up different?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

I didn't know they WORE make-up. ::) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

'Course they do. If they didn't, they'd look like you. :o :o

Fla._Deadheader

Eso es el OK.  Usted me perderá cuando yo soy ido.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Now I ain't real sure, folks, but I think he mighta just cussed me out. :o

By the way, didja notice how much he look's like Drew Carey?

;D

Fla._Deadheader

¿Los Carey Dibujó?  Ciertamente esperaría no.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Ya know DanG, you are right!
Harold, ever try out to be a stand in for Drew???

Thank You Sponsors!