iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ringmaster bowl lathe

Started by JV, June 06, 2017, 06:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Anyone used a Ringmaster lathe?  I dug mine out from storage earlier this spring and made a vase using scrap silver maple and cherry.  The previous owner didn't set the knives right leaving a rough meeting point.  I reset them and smoothed the surface.  I found the angle chart and did the one vase.  I understand that you can vary the angles to get more rounded sides but not sure of the settings.  For 3/4" stock the angle is 22.6 degrees.  Anyone try varying the angles for roundness?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Jemclimber

I've heard of cutting rings on a wood lathe to make a bowl or a vase. I've never seen a lathe dedicated to cutting rings. Do you have any pics of the lathe or of the vase you made?
lt15

Savannahdan

Started to buy a used one off of CL years ago and didn't move quick enough.  If I recall they are neat for doing segmented bowls and platters.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

JV

The lathe is a 1/2" mandrel with adjustable angle knives, one on each side of up to a 12" blank.  The rings are progressively smaller to stack and glue.  The vase is from scrap silver maple and cherry with 3 coats of shellac.  Basically you see the end grain of the blank.  I want to laminate different woods to see what I can get.  I have some osage orange that would give a yellow and black zebra effect at least for awhile.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kbeitz

Now you did it. One more project for me to build...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JV

I think I found the answer to my question.  Shopsmith sold a Ringmaster attachment for the Mark V.  They did a video called Ringmaster 3:making curved turnings.  It is 45 minutes long, unfortunately my attention span is only a fraction of that but I'll get there.   ;D
John

Kbeitz

I will try my hand at making one. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JV

It is a fairly simple machine.  I want to try more intricate designs.  Taking two 3/8x3/4 pieces and routing a half round or a triangle the length and gluing a colored dowel rod or a small square for a diamond shape between them.  Use this as a sub-assembly, for lack of a better term,  and glue those into a segment to create a stylised flower as an example.  Lots of work but on those miserable rainy or snowy days a fun diversion.  But that requires a bit of attention span.   :D
John

Thank You Sponsors!