The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Ringmaster bowl lathe  (Read 622 times)

Offline JV

• Live - love - laugh a lot today.
Ringmaster bowl lathe
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:12:34 pm »
Anyone used a Ringmaster lathe?  I dug mine out from storage earlier this spring and made a vase using scrap silver maple and cherry.  The previous owner didn't set the knives right leaving a rough meeting point.  I reset them and smoothed the surface.  I found the angle chart and did the one vase.  I understand that you can vary the angles to get more rounded sides but not sure of the settings.  For 3/4" stock the angle is 22.6 degrees.  Anyone try varying the angles for roundness?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Offline Jemclimber

Re: Ringmaster bowl lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:56:20 am »
I've heard of cutting rings on a wood lathe to make a bowl or a vase. I've never seen a lathe dedicated to cutting rings. Do you have any pics of the lathe or of the vase you made?
lt15

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:56:24 am »
Started to buy a used one off of CL years ago and didn't move quick enough.  If I recall they are neat for doing segmented bowls and platters.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline JV

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:10:28 am »

The lathe is a 1/2" mandrel with adjustable angle knives, one on each side of up to a 12" blank.  The rings are progressively smaller to stack and glue.  The vase is from scrap silver maple and cherry with 3 coats of shellac.  Basically you see the end grain of the blank.  I want to laminate different woods to see what I can get.  I have some osage orange that would give a yellow and black zebra effect at least for awhile.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 02:56:29 am »
Now you did it. One more project for me to build...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline JV

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:39 am »
I think I found the answer to my question.  Shopsmith sold a Ringmaster attachment for the Mark V.  They did a video called Ringmaster 3:making curved turnings.  It is 45 minutes long, unfortunately my attention span is only a fraction of that but I'll get there.   ;D
John

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
I will try my hand at making one. 
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline JV

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:20:17 pm »
It is a fairly simple machine.  I want to try more intricate designs.  Taking two 3/8x3/4 pieces and routing a half round or a triangle the length and gluing a colored dowel rod or a small square for a diamond shape between them.  Use this as a sub-assembly, for lack of a better term,  and glue those into a segment to create a stylised flower as an example.  Lots of work but on those miserable rainy or snowy days a fun diversion.  But that requires a bit of attention span.   :D
John