iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backhoe from scratch and scrap

Started by grouch, June 06, 2017, 09:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Fitting up the quick attach parts.

That's a 7/8-9 threaded rod being used to hold things spaced and aligned. The C-clamps and flat bar keep the implement parts of the quick attach aligned.

The one in the back is fully welded. The near one is getting the ends fitted.

End plates are on, now getting it ready for the loader frame.

1 inch diameter pin used for a gauge.

My pipe clamp was too short. Luckily, a 7/8 inch threaded rod fits well enough inside a 3/4 inch (trade size) pipe.
The square tube is 1/4 inch wall, 2 inch square.

Takes a conglomeration of clamps, pads and bolts turned into jacks to hold things in alignment for tacking. The object of all that prep is the steel wedge in the center of the photo. The top of the quick attach fits into the top of the receiver on the implement and that wedge pulls the bottom in and locks it.

Closer look at the wedge. It started out as 2 pieces of 3/4 inch thick flat bar, welded and milled to slide inside the 2 inch square tube. The weld seam was filed out of the tube.

Other end clamped and jacked into position.

Rotated up in the air for some of the welding.

Adding drilled pieces to a wedge to be able to bolt it to the lever mechanism.

Find something to do that interests you.

Ox

My Lord, you did a lot of work on that project.  Good work.

"I must have sneezed halfway through that weld..."  You just kill me with some of your offhand comments. :D  I'm really having a good time reading through your posts.  I also think it's great that you include links to useful information for whoever else might want to build these attachments.  Well done.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

grouch

Thanks Ox! Actually, there was more work not shown than shown and I have a pile of dead grinders and grinding discs to prove it!  ;D

It was a bit of a shock to note how long ago it started and how much time elapsed between sessions working on the thing. On the other hand, it's kinda fun going back through the photos and remembering what it felt like at the time. And we haven't even gotten to the backhoe part yet!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 09, 2017, 10:11:48 PM
Have you ever used drilling wax ?

No, most of the time, if I use anything while drilling, it's used hydraulic fluid from the tractor. Takes 4 gallons every time I change it, so I have plenty on hand.

grouch

The world needs more chips.

Drilling holes in brackets for the quick attach.

The quick attach assembly is not touching the mill table.
That old Taiwan milling machine and the 1924 Hendey lathe to the right, holding up the other end of this assembly being bored, were acquired at the insistence of my wife. She has a mean streak.

Boring a 1 inch diameter hole through the 2 inch square tubing for a pivot pin. Most of the pins used for the front loader and the backhoe are commodity items available in farm stores -- hitch pins, top link pins, lift arm pins, etc.

A better view of the arrangement. It took much longer to set this up than it did to bore the hole.

One more view. Scraps of wood protect the lathe.

grouch

After all that welding and drilling, it's time to try it on.

There are two 3/4 inch pipes in the photo, being used the same way a cabinetmaker uses winding sticks. (That wikipedia article describes traditional dimensions, but all I know is they need to be straight, true and twins).

View from above.

Looking back the other way.

And with the top of the far pipe just visible above the near one. If the top of that brace in the loader frame and the top of the square tube on the bucket were not in the same plane, those pipes would make the misalignment obvious.

The only problem with that is, the square tube isn't straight after all that excess and unbalanced welding. :)

Curved back does not meet flat quick attach. What a gap!

That's a big mouth for a little tractor.

The selected 2 inch bore by 24 inch stroke cylinders are about 1-1/2 inches from center of pin to outside. As shown, that would leave an inch of clearance, fully retracted.

This would be fully extended.

Left quick attach latch. Note that big gap.

Right quick attach latch. That's just too much gap.

grouch

There are people in the world who say it's ok if your bucket has a fat butt. That's only true if your tractor is capable of hauling your fat butt bucket around.

Technically, I think this is known as a bucket buttectomy.

Kbeitz

It was 64 years before I found out about drill wax sticks.
Now I'll never go without them.What a difference it makes.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Thanks, Kbeitz. I'll give those a try. Found Lassco, Drill-Ease, and BruteLube.

grouch

Brackets for the loader cylinders.

Nice straight piece of 2 inch square tubing to make sure everything is in the same plane.

grouch

Brackets tacked; cylinders on.

That's not good.

Closer look.

It's a 24 inch stroke cylinder.

Kbeitz

Search e-bay...

Johnsons # 140 Stik Wax Lubricant Cutting Threading Drilling Sawing

Or.

Lassco Wizer Drill-Ease Wax Sticks Drill Lubricant

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Exhaust relocation.

Had to get the exhaust system out of the way of that cylinder.

See it down there?

I'll just have to turn all those Nascar and NHRA guys down when they come begging me to build their headers.

That should be plenty of clearance. The cylinder is still wrapped in a plastic bag, there.

Reach for the sky!

Full extension.

grouch

Cleaning up some details.

The back of the bucket was pieced back together like a patchwork quilt.

Temporary saw, er, torch horse -- couple of pipes, a bolt, and a load binder that's not good for much else.

Closing the posts makes them stronger.

Strange beasts lurk in dark garages.

That box was bolted to the post, now it's welded and the only bolts are to the tractor.

grouch

Mounting version 2 of the bucket.

Clamps and jigs, again.

Eyeballing the clearance.

View from the other end. Note the curvature of that 2 inch square tubing, which is why that baby I-beam is being used for alignment.

The focus is not so good, but the clearance looks the same.

That is an acceptable gap between the almost-flat back of the bucket and the quick attach plate.

Acceptable, but could be a tighter gap.

Appears aligned with the loader frame crossbar.

One way to force the 3/16 inch back of the bucket to conform to the 3/8 inch quick attach plate.

thecfarm

I suppose you know this.............When I pick my loader up all the way up,the bucket looks level. Meaning it does not tip back towards the operator and spill some of the load out towards me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grouch

I thought about adding self-levelling to it but decided that was more complexity (more things for me to break) than I needed. Being without it makes the loader a bit riskier but tougher.

grouch

Portable drill press -- sort of.

Lining up the bucket cylinder brackets using C-clamps and 3/4 inch by 1-1/2 inch flat bar. Note the drill bit sticking out beyond that back clamp. The brackets were pre-drilled at 1/4 inch then used to mark the loader frame. That gaudy looking orange drill is a double reduction 1/2 inch drill and will happily twist you in knots if it jams. A 1/4 inch hole is no problem; a 1 inch hole is.

Another view of the situation. The loader frame won't fit on my drill press, with or without the attached tractor.

A clampable, any-position drill press in the making. The part the vise jaws are gripping is a chunk of 3/8 inch thick plate, braces are some scrap stuff, and the upright is a piece of 2 inch square tube with 0.120 wall.

This thing came off of a weight-lifting machine (people buy them and then want them out of the way; good source of various pieces of steel). It slides over a 2 inch square tube.

Another view, showing the modifications made. It has some kind of plastic material to aid in sliding. That had to come out before welding, of course.

The brackets on the slider are bored for bolts that replace the side handles on the drill. The drill also had a D handle in the rear; that's the 3rd point of support on the slider.

The rear support is easier to see in this view.

If the 2 inch square tube is square to the 3/8 inch plate, and that plate is flat, the hole should be square to the face of whatever you clamp the plate to.

The slider has a little slop, so you simply pre-load in the direction the drill wants to kick -- you lean on the handles counter-clockwise when lining up and when drilling.

Closer view of the rear support, which is adjustable to make the drill bit parallel to the square tube (ignoring whatever surface marketing decided to put on the drill body).

Magicman

The bucket build is going nicely.

I like that drill holder.  I have one that will break your arm or whatever else is between it and where it wants to go.   :-\  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

Hydraulics.

2-spool loader valve with detented float, open center with power beyond, 2000 psi relief. I think it's 7 GPM max, but can't remember. Standard pump on my Long 310 was 5.75 gpm (21.8 liters/min).

Not neat.

It's a monster. Note the muffler location.

Not quite at full extension. The doors in the background are 8 ft tall.

Bucket cylinders are 2 x 24, boom cylinders are 2-1/2 x 24.
All hydraulics -- valve, fittings, hoses, cylinders -- are from surpluscenter.com out in Lincoln, Nebraska.

grouch

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2017, 04:33:47 PM
The bucket build is going nicely.

I like that drill holder.  I have one that will break your arm or whatever else is between it and where it wants to go.   :-\  :-X

Thanks Magicman. 'Bout lost your post while getting the next batch of pictures together.

I tried boring those 1 inch holes by just holding the drill. About the 2nd time it tried to twist my wrists off is when I decided to make something it couldn't twist in two.
;D

grouch

Bucket version 3.

Now it can chew what it can bite off.

grouch

Teeth.

Mild steel is not the best material for bucket teeth, but it's what's on hand that counts.

1 inch thick by 3 inches wide flat bar, cut to 1-1/2 inches.

Notch for the cutting edge of the bucket.

Notched on diagonally opposite corners.

Step drill to 5/16 inch for tapping 1/2-13.

Using the drill press chuck to get the tap started straight.

And deepen the threads with a tap wrench. (Can't go all the way through in this setup).

Slice 2 teeth at once. Note on the left that the piece is hard against the saw fence.

Almost through.

Clean up and finish the threading.

Six itty bitty teeth installed. They make a lot of difference when using the loader to peel some clay and sandstone.

Ox

You sure have alot more work in this project than I realized.  I hate doing things over so much I would have left the bucket alone after the first round.  Your mind works in ways mine never will to solve problems.  I'm envious.  Sometimes in the past I thought I was clever but after this forum I now realize I'm just a babe in the woods.

I'm getting my chuckles in at your little elbow jabbed comments.  Think about standing in your yard and you're telling me the story of your loader and backhoe and you give me a jab with your elbow and say "I couldn't get the loader and attached tractor to fit on the drill press...".  :D  You really do crack me up.  I like to think I'd be able to meet you someday.  KY was my first choice to move to but because of the inheritance tax there I'm think AL is better now...  I've got an uncle in TX that's pretty comfortable and I expect to get some kind of inheritance when he passes.  This info is from him, not from me rubbing my hands together, drooling, being greedy, and softly and evilly laughing thinking of wads of cash.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!