iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backhoe from scratch and scrap

Started by grouch, June 06, 2017, 09:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Ox

The old backhoe I have here is a straight bucket.  It's basically the same shape as the one you made.  I wasn't even aware newer buckets were tapered... the longer I live the more I realize I don't know squat.

You did a real nice job making sure the hoe bucket was true.  Nice work.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

grouch

Bucket.

This is not a backhoe bucket. It is a Cellulosic Combustion Containment Unit.
Ok, it's a cobbled up wood burner made out of an old water tank for a well and some 3/8 inch rebar.

That hat is part of the backhoe bucket. There's a nice red glow in the mouth of the CCCU.

Persuaders. Laying that piece of railroad rail on its side provides a convenient place to hammer curves.

More curvature of the hat, more heat waves, more red.

Heat and hammer to taste. It's about done.

The carbon on the back won't hurt a thing. Curvature looks about right.

Curve ok; too wide.

That gap can be closed up during tacking.

Fits well enough on the right and bottom.

Needs to be cut to width.

Start where it fits and work to where it doesn't.

That's a fit.

That's not.

Transition from curved bottom to flat back.

Tacked where it fits.

Clamp advanced ahead of the tacks.

Eventually, you run out of things to clamp.

That's where it didn't fit before. Easier to pull it in to fit than push it out.

Find something to do that interests you.

gww

grouch
This project just amazes me.  I give you credit for even having the gumtion to even takle it.  Again, I am amazed.
Cheers
gww

Magicman

When I first saw the bucket I thought that you had gone to the junkyard with Kbeitz.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I hate to say it nut there is a real nice bucket in the yard right now.
I forgot about it... My son is looking for one..
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

gww,

Thanks! I'm just too hard-headed to not tackle it. Always wanted to build one and everything finally came together so I could.

Magicman,

Given the treasures he pulls out of that -magic- junkyard, that's a compliment. Could probably have found the whole DanG thing there, but then I wouldn't have had the fun of building it. Thanks! :)

Kbeitz,

Try looking under that bucket; the rest might still be attached. You're going to have to share that junkyard. It ain't fair you keep it to yourself.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grouch

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 08, 2017, 07:03:06 PM
Coming along well, Nice job.

Thank you. This is a (mostly) working machine now and all of this is a sort of flashback showing how it got to the point shown at the beginning of the thread. Had some help and advice on some hydraulic bugs back on page 1, I think.

grouch

Hurricane Irma acting like a geography blender just about made me forget my place in this. She's still unwinding, but done ripping and tearing.

grouch

Bucket.

There's one more piece of the puzzle to be fitted.

A little plasma trimming.

A cold glob at the start, crater at the end.

Outside all welded up.

grouch

Bucket.

Inside, after welding the outside.

Lots of rods, fumes and slag.

Fully welded inside and out.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ox

I've never been able to leave a bead like that using an arc welder.  The whole project is pretty impressive using what you've got on hand and all.  Not many people could make something like that using what you did.  You should be proud of yourself about that.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

You really got me wanting to pull my stick welder back out and see if I still have the skills :)

Ed_K

This is the koolest thread I've ever read. Took me 3 day to read it. Nice work.
Ed K

grouch

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

(Makes me think I'm not the only nutcase around here, though). :)

Crusarius

I want to build a bulldozer or some type of tracked vehicle from scratch.

grouch

Bucket brackets. (Don't know what else to call these parts).

45 degree bevel the hard way.

You've seen "jaggies" in digital images? Just think of the milling machine being used as an analog to digital converter in this case.

One on the left is fresh from the mill; one on the right is after some touch-up with an angle grinder. Lots less grinding (dust and noise) doing it this way. Besides, milling is more fun than grinding.

Lots of steps.

Doesn't take much to smooth.

Here's where they go -- that 3/8 inch thick back plate of the bucket.

Some pits are just too deep to grind out.

Spacing is 5-1/8 inches, accomplished using a pair of 1-2-3 blocks and a 1/8 inch thick milling machine parallel.

Another view.

3/8 inch re-bar tack welded on top of the brackets to hold the spacing. Brackets are tacked to the bucket.
The piece of 1/4 inch thick flat bar sticking up on the right is clamped to the side of the bucket to keep it from rolling.

Closer view of the tack.

Overview of setup.

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on September 15, 2017, 03:23:18 PM
I want to build a bulldozer or some type of tracked vehicle from scratch.

Surplus Center has some left and right hydro transaxles for ZTR mowers. No law says they have to drive -wheels-. ;)

Crusarius

Does the head on your mill swivel? mine will swivel front to back or left to right. Makes doing that chamfer much easier. That is how I made a set of V-blocks.

Crusarius

that is my plan :) but I was thinking just buy a cheap zero and part it out. probably be cheaper than just the drive units

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on September 15, 2017, 03:35:48 PM
Does the head on your mill swivel? mine will swivel front to back or left to right. Makes doing that chamfer much easier. That is how I made a set of V-blocks.

It does swivel, but it takes a lot of fiddling to get it back where it's supposed to be. I didn't need accuracy or precision for this so I didn't want to disturb that head.

grouch

Bucket brackets.

The fun of filling in those bevels begins here.

I had a hard time seeing the whole puddle in that space. It was tough getting enough heat into the 1 inch thick bracket. No problem with the 3/8 inch thick back plate.

See that slag up in the shadow where the weld bead should be? Wore out some dental picks and more grinder disks on this thing.

Hindsight tells me I should have laid the whole bucket on its side so that the thicker piece (the bracket) was horizontal and flat so I could better aim the rod to get enough heat into that sucker.

About dead center of the photo you can see the pitted slag pocket -- not enough heat.

That's not a line of glare; that's slag from a 7018 rod. Pick and grind some more.

Easy to see there's no fusion here. Pick and grind some more.

Same problem here.

This is glare, but there's also a gap -- no fusion.

I've got to have more power, Scotty! That's all she's got, Cap'n!

Molten steel shrinks. It pulls everything it's attached to, with it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: grouch on September 17, 2017, 06:57:18 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on September 15, 2017, 03:35:48 PM

It does swivel, but it takes a lot of fiddling to get it back where it's supposed to be. I didn't need accuracy or precision for this so I didn't want to disturb that head.

Chuck a dial indicator in your chuck... Easy to tram it back to zero.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!